Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
OniCamaro

Drives: Camaro V6 2017
How to a ton of scratches on matter black stripes?

I just noticed today a ton of scratches on my oem matte black racing stripes, after I got the car hand washed professionally. I can't tell if they came out of this wash because it looks like although there are a LOT of scratches but you can only see then when the sun is directly shining on it. Also I can't tell how else it would get these scratches. I've never taken car to automatic car wash and when I do some waterless washing myself, i take care to do it in one direction. The scratches are telling a different story. Anyway, I'm completely new at taking care of my car to this extent. Is stuff like this easy to fix?
OniCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
No it is not easy to get scratches out of vinyl. Easy to replace stripe.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
OniCamaro

Oh no. Don't wanna consider replacing the stripes in a car that I got literally 3 months back. These are the big racing stripes that go over all of his and trunk, so I'm guessing not cheap. Any way to improve appearance for cheap?
Old 01-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Did you google “repair vinyl car stripes”?

And you tube?
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniCamaro View Post
I just noticed today a ton of scratches on my oem matte black racing stripes, after I got the car hand washed professionally. I can't tell if they came out of this wash because it looks like although there are a LOT of scratches but you can only see then when the sun is directly shining on it. Also I can't tell how else it would get these scratches. I've never taken car to automatic car wash and when I do some waterless washing myself, i take care to do it in one direction. The scratches are telling a different story. Anyway, I'm completely new at taking care of my car to this extent. Is stuff like this easy to fix?
No you can't use polish on vinyl stripes because of the abrasives in the polish. Any type of "glaze" is not going to look even.

Unfortunately its probably a live with it or replace it situation.

The good thing is, vinyl stripes are pretty easy. You can buy a kit from big worm graphix (expensive) or you can buy bulk vinyl (cheap) and knifeless tape and install them yourself.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #6
OniCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
No you can't use polish on vinyl stripes because of the abrasives in the polish. Any type of "glaze" is not going to look even.

Unfortunately its probably a live with it or replace it situation.

The good thing is, vinyl stripes are pretty easy. You can buy a kit from big worm graphix (expensive) or you can buy bulk vinyl (cheap) and knifeless tape and install them yourself.
Your thoughts on these two options?
  1. https://m.autozone.com/interior-deta...kaAr6BEALw_wcB
  2. https://m.wikihow.com/Remove-Scuff-Marks-from-Car-Vinyl
Old 01-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
The black plastic restorer is oily type stuff and it won't absorb evenly.

I have heard of people trying the rubber eraser wheel. I would attempt that on a piece of vinyl that I bought on Amazon first, before I tried it on my car.

Buy a test piece of matte vinyl, stick it on the trunk and try the rubber eraser wheel.

All that sanding and vinyl dye stuff..no way. much easier just to put new ones on.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:

It might be too late in your case for this but, I only used Chemical Guys Matte Detail Spray on my vinyl matte stripes, hood wrap ect. I never even took the wash mit to them when I washed the cars. Id rinse them, dry them with my leaf blower and go right to the matte detail spray. Odds are, your going to have to get new stripes as troubling and expensive as that sounds.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote