Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 10-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #15
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
I did not have your error message, but had same symptom at a very hot track day in AUG at Barber (Alabama). Outside temp was 93*. On 3rd session, ~2PM, car stopped upshifting. I could manually upshift, but ended the day early (I was a tired as the car). I never got an error, but it was clear A10 was struggling. Cosworth showed my peak A10 temp at 248, Oil was 293, and water was 235.

I attributed the symptom to a too-hot A10, even tho I never tripped a code or error message. I was at 11hrs on the ATF, so I just had it replaced/serviced. It was fine at next event, but shorter sessions, and cooler weather there. Experienced folks have linked overfilled trans to higher temps. Perhaps it was overfilled. Recall, you need to get these A10’s very hot to accurately gauge fill level. My guess is most shops shortcut that step.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #16
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Thanks for the feedback guys, I’ll check that data out ASAP
Old 10-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #17
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Interesting. Why would oiling issues cause a tranny to lurch? Never heard of anyone having to mod an oil pan on gen6, including running slicks. Can you elaborate pls. Thanks!
It's potentially not a trans issue, its the engine starving for oil on a road course, the computer wants the trans in a taller gear to bring the rpm down to help protect the engine, it was a big issue with the vette guys a while back, a dry sump is the answer. This is just an opinion only, I've been wrong before, ask my wife. LOL.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #18
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
It's potentially not a trans issue, its the engine starving for oil on a road course, the computer wants the trans in a taller gear to bring the rpm down to help protect the engine, it was a big issue with the vette guys a while back, a dry sump is the answer. This is just an opinion only, I've been wrong before, ask my wife. LOL.
Interesting you say that, it seems to be happening on exactly the same corner that I have fuel starvation issues (on anything less than 3/4 tank) a long right hander that has three sections to it; a long section at full throttle at 120mph then full breaking Before a sharper right hander and then back on wide-open throttle again coming out of the corner, all turning right and the entire conglomerate of those 3 turns lasts about 7 seconds.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #19
GunMetalGrey

Anyways taking it into the dealer Wednesday morning, we will see what they say
Old 10-14-2020, 01:13 AM   #20
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Yep, an old issue with LS3 and LS7 even, but not LT1.
Rpm doesnt much matter for oil starvation. The motor eigher has proper oiling, or it doesn't
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:18 AM   #21
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Interesting you say that, it seems to be happening on exactly the same corner that I have fuel starvation issues (on anything less than 3/4 tank) a long right hander that has three sections to it; a long section at full throttle at 120mph then full breaking Before a sharper right hander and then back on wide-open throttle again coming out of the corner, all turning right and the entire conglomerate of those 3 turns lasts about 7 seconds.
I dont think you could possibly run into oil starvation at yout track. It takes a very long and very fast corner with constant high Gs to cause it. I run at Mosport where i get to 115mph in LONG MID CORNER with zero issues. Dont know of a single LT1 or LT4 that were lost due to oiling issues since gen6 came out. Just fyi.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #22
GunMetalGrey

Thanks for the info guys

The dealership says they can't find any record of the code stored on the computer or the car.

The shop foreman called GM tech and they said this code shouldn't even be coming up on the Camaro, only the Corvette. (When I "google" search this, the only thing I can find anything like this is on a c7 Corvette forum.)
That made them wonder if I had "chipped" the car or changed the software at all, which I have not.

Anyways, I'm going to talk to the shop foreman tomorrow morning and see if I can find anything out.
At the very least I'd like to know that there is no damage or danger to the car and perhaps I can ignore the warning, though that doesn't sit that well with me.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 10-14-2020 at 05:45 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #23
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
With a ten quart oil pan you'd think the screen would never see air, I run a custom windage tray and have not had the issue. Funny they said it was a vette issue, maybe you got a vette ECU by mistake.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #24
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
With a ten quart oil pan you'd think the screen would never see air, I run a custom windage tray and have not had the issue. Funny they said it was a vette issue, maybe you got a vette ECU by mistake.
Now that would be interesting!
Old 10-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #25
TrackClub

I'd see a service manager, if there is such a dude at your dealership and ask him to escalate it.
Or, take it to a dealer who is more familiar with LT4.
Tranny lurching is a sure sign of something being up and the warning message seems consistent with that end of a drivetrain. As far as i know, there are no OEM messages, or codes for low oil pressure, except for what's on the dash. So, when oil pressure gets too low, the driver has no prior warning and the motor simply goes boom. As i have stated before, there are tons of folks running gen6 cars on full *slicks* at many venues. NONE has reported an oiling issue yet and i am not aware of anyone doing anything beyond a stock system.
The main point is, if your tranny is bad, you wanna ensure they replace before your warranty runs out.
Cheers!

PS An obvious question to ask, would be what does this message mean on a C7Z? Albeit keep in mind, the Vettes have different trannies. I don't think an A10 would run with a Vette ECU programmed for an A8. If you havent changed it and if the car has run fine before, i would suspect a mechanical issue.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:37 PM   #26
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I'd see a service manager, if there is such a dude at your dealership and ask him to escalate it.
Or, take it to a dealer who is more familiar with LT4.
Tranny lurching is a sure sign of something being up and the warning message seems consistent with that end of a drivetrain. As far as i know, there are no OEM messages, or codes for low oil pressure, except for what's on the dash. So, when oil pressure gets too low, the driver has no prior warning and the motor simply goes boom. As i have stated before, there are tons of folks running gen6 cars on full *slicks* at many venues. NONE has reported an oiling issue yet and i am not aware of anyone doing anything beyond a stock system.
The main point is, if your tranny is bad, you wanna ensure they replace before your warranty runs out.
Cheers!

PS An obvious question to ask, would be what does this message mean on a C7Z? Albeit keep in mind, the Vettes have different trannies. I don't think an A10 would run with a Vette ECU programmed for an A8. If you havent changed it and if the car has run fine before, i would suspect a mechanical issue.
I completely agree with getting this taken care of before warranty runs out or before I void the warranty with the long tube headers and new supercharger that I’ve already partially bought

I’m gonna start checking out more data on those PDR files, do I need a special software to access more of that data? Somebody said something about Cosworth?
Old 10-14-2020, 11:09 PM   #27
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I completely agree with getting this taken care of before warranty runs out or before I void the warranty with the long tube headers and new supercharger that I’ve already partially bought

I’m gonna start checking out more data on those PDR files, do I need a special software to access more of that data? Somebody said something about Cosworth?
For sure you ought to be motivated given the upcoming mods, especially that your car will have to be tuned for them. The moment that happens: no warranty of any kind. I havent used Cosworth, but that's the tool folks use to access more data. Perhaps it may be useful in your dealings with the dealer, but it wont necessarily tell you that something is broken. Best of luck going forward!
Old 10-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #28
GunMetalGrey

Here are the screenshots from the Cosworth Toolbox, does anything look off to you?

Name:  Aug 8th 2020 1st session.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  Aug 8th 2020 2nd session.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  Aug 8th 2020 3rd session.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  Aug 8th 2020 last session crash.PNG
Views: 156
Size:  54.5 KB