Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #57
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Sold my 2010 Grandsport to buy my 2016 2SS. Looking back though, I traded my 2012 1SS Camaro for a 2006 C6 Vette. In all of those instances, I am certain I did the right thing. I guess I'm just a Chevy guy and loving every minute of it.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:19 AM   #58
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Traded a 2009 C6 Z06 for my 2SS, and could not be happier with my decision. The car is THAT GOOD.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #59
Michael2000

Drives: .
Thinking of selling my mint condition 2000 C5 with 70,000 miles, and getting a 2017 Camaro 1SS. The SS chassis and engine are fantastic, but I am still having trouble getting really excited about the Camaro. Any of you guys get the stripes option or wheel option to make it a bit more exciting?

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #60
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
I ad 2 vette's (a 09 c6Z06, and a C5Z06) also a ctsv wagon lol. I had the V wagon and C6z at the same time. Sold my 09 because it sat in the garage most of the time, Eventually sold my V wagon too to buy a house (I just turned 31). Got bored and picked up a clean 02 C5Z. Sold it and bought the new ss. I can afford a C7 but not a C7Z. If I can't get a Z I rather get a top of the line ss and mod it out and dd it until I can get a new Z again.

mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #61
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I owned a 2010 Camaro SS for 5 years and loved it! I sold it to pay off the loan and some bills with the plan to buy a 6th gen when they came out, that is until I saw the prices! I ended up buying a used '06 loaded lower mileage Corvette for half the price of a nicely optioned 2SS 6th gen Camaro! I'm happy with the Corvette but I still hope to trade it in for a 6th gen next year!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #62
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Owned a 2013 GS Vette (black) and its still the most fun to drive, flat out raw power car Ive ever had. Responded VERY well to mods and tuning. Better drive even than the 2016 Stingray. #1 on my all time car list.

the bad as a DD:
The interior and technology of anything corvette pre-2014 was archaic by any standard. The 2013 GS had the worst cup holder EVER invented, the navigation was a flippin CD, radio screen looked like a 90s video game and the front cigarette lighter stayed on after shutting off the car - annoying as hell for plugging in a radar detector. Those things and a few others (cant clear a curb, doing a pushup to get out, lack of a back seat on the few occasions I needed to transport 2 people) just weighed on me over time.

lets face it, a Corvette is nothing but an impracticable toy, a garage queen and the first thing to be sold when having a financial hardship. I liken it to buying a boat, blast for a while then buyers remorse later on. One of the most flipped cars, rarely owned long term. I checked the carfax on my traded in 2013, another guy bought it and then traded it in 2 months later....hilarious.

If I do go down this path again, its certainly not going to be sitting in the garage all the time...aka $40k+ "door stop". Never understood why people buy expensive cars and turn them into dust collecting paper weights. Holds its value very well, but still depreciates like any mass produced car.

To sum up, worst DD ever, best 2nd car ever.....

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 11-07-2016 at 12:44 PM.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #63
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Camaro is better as a second car for me and gets used in all kinds of situations where I just wouldn't take a vette. I've owned 4 vettes - 2 C6 Z51, 1 C5Z and a C4. Take last night as an example - was going out to dinner with my wife to a place that is a 15min or so drive including some freeway. Parking lot is a bit cramped, can be crowded and can be a pain to deal with. I just never would have driven a vette there knowing that. Took the Camaro and had no issues navigating the parking lot and getting into a tight spot, even though it's every bit as wide as a Corvette and is longer it doesn't have nearly as long of a nose and it's not so low that you can't drive in and out of driveways without scraping bottom.

Just one example.

And on the way home it was warmer that expected so dropped the top at the flick of a button and enjoyed the night air. Could not have done that with a vette coupe - I wasn't going to get out of the car and remove a roof panel.

So anyway - even as a second car, the SS is much better for me and gets used a whole lot more than the vette's I've owned.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #64
DisturbedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Camaro is better as a second car for me and gets used in all kinds of situations where I just wouldn't take a vette. I've owned 4 vettes - 2 C6 Z51, 1 C5Z and a C4. Take last night as an example - was going out to dinner with my wife to a place that is a 15min or so drive including some freeway. Parking lot is a bit cramped, can be crowded and can be a pain to deal with. I just never would have driven a vette there knowing that. Took the Camaro and had no issues navigating the parking lot and getting into a tight spot, even though it's every bit as wide as a Corvette and is longer it doesn't have nearly as long of a nose and it's not so low that you can't drive in and out of driveways without scraping bottom.

Just one example.

And on the way home it was warmer that expected so dropped the top at the flick of a button and enjoyed the night air. Could not have done that with a vette coupe - I wasn't going to get out of the car and remove a roof panel.

So anyway - even as a second car, the SS is much better for me and gets used a whole lot more than the vette's I've owned.
Whats your first car?

Same experiences as you with the vette. If you have the means and lots of extra garage space, its a great car. My driveway is already starting to look like a fricken parking garage with 2 teenagers driving now.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #65
c4racer

Well - define first car.... I own 6, but 2 are gone at college with the kids. So 4 at the house, but a 3 car garage means 3 get garages. My main daily driver is a 2003 BMW M5 and then I have a 2016 Colorado 4x4 that gets winter duty or when the M5 is down for maintenance (like right now - replacing 6 sensors that are conveniently at the back of the motor underneath a crap load of crap).

Wife has a Mazda 3 - that gets driveway.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #66
MostlyHarmless

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
I traded in my 2015 C7 Z51 for my 2016 2SS Convertible.

I loved the Vette - it was a great car. But the reality of life with a young family was that it just didn't get used often enough. I loved the M6 and Z51 package but here in the MidAtlantic the cold winters and crap traffic meant that I walked past the Vette too often in the morning dreading a drive on slippery roads in heavy traffic.

The Camaro (subjectively) is not quite as good. But as was pointed out earlier it has all the same underpinnings as the Vette in a slightly bigger body.

In my head it is a car that is 90% as good as the Vette but I can use it 200% of the time. So for me personally that is the deciding factor. If I could persuade Mrs B to let me build another garage I would have both :-)

Mark
MostlyHarmless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #67
DisturbedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Well - define first car.... I own 6, but 2 are gone at college with the kids. So 4 at the house, but a 3 car garage means 3 get garages. My main daily driver is a 2003 BMW M5 and then I have a 2016 Colorado 4x4 that gets winter duty or when the M5 is down for maintenance (like right now - replacing 6 sensors that are conveniently at the back of the motor underneath a crap load of crap).

Wife has a Mazda 3 - that gets driveway.
Wow....maybe thats my issue with having 6 different cars the last 2 years, I only keep 1 car at a time as opposed to having several to service needs.

Wife + 2 car garage + Kids living at home = 1 car at a time <sigh>

Your wife should call my wife and convince her its OK for me to have the SS, a vette and a truck for pure need, not want.

The old GS sitting at Dealership #4 in its short life.

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 11-07-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #68
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
I'm single with a 2car garage and am starting to house hunt for a 3 car garage lol. I have the 2017 ss, 2016 undra 4x4 platinum, the 2009 g8 gxp, and a 2013 sti project I'm working on. That plus my roomie's car so yeah imagine what my driveway looks like and I have deed restrictions too lol.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #69
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
Wow....maybe thats my issue with having 6 different cars the last 2 years, I only keep 1 car at a time as opposed to having several to service needs.

Wife + 2 car garage + Kids living at home = 1 car at a time <sigh>

Your wife should call my wife and convince her its OK for me to have the SS, a vette and a truck for pure need, not want.
you have to go back in time and have three cars when you married her like I did! At the time two of those were toys. Now only the SS is a toy - I do need a 4 door for work. And I need a truck for many things. So only the SS is a toy / want car in my scheme
Old 11-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #70
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
To sum up, worst DD ever, best 2nd car ever.....
I couldn't disagree more. Maybe my situation is different because I am single. I also don't live in the snow belt. I have a 2000 Corvette with 6 speed manual which has been daily driven for over 15 years. It's been comfortable, and reliable. Open the rear hatch, and I can stuff loads of things in there, and have, including items bought during trips to Home Depot. I've put 8 foot fluorescent tubes in there. I've put computers and monitors (in the shipping boxes) back there, plus my wheeley bag and laptop. One of my concerns with the SS is the small trunk opening. As far as parking, as long as you have a thick cover, you never get a door ding or dent with the Corvette SMC panels (I have no dings).

As far as I am concerned, a Camaro is in the same class as a Corvette for daily driving. For me, that's just fine. I like having fun while daily driving.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote