Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 10-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
3M Paint Protection Film

I know this has been discussed over and over again. However, I wanted to share my experience from this afternoon.

Went to the grocery store. As per usual parked as far away and as solitary as possible. Do my shopping and drive home. When I get out of my garage and under lights, I notice multiple scratches on the rear driver's side quarter! Im guessing some asshat was for whatever reason leaning up against her and left multiple scratches. Who really knows what happened?

Anyway, I tried cleaning the area with my favorite detailer thinking it might be just superficial, but the scratches wouldn't budge. So I pulled out my heat gun. Within 30 seconds it was like a brand new panel! I wish I had video of the transformation - maybe next time?

The reason I am sharing this is that we all have discussed the cost of PPF. Yes, a good installation is very expensive. We spend so much money on trying to keep our Z's look beautiful. I can't emphasize enough how great this product is. Sure, I probably could have busted out the DA polisher on a non PPFed surface, but this shit happens regularly.

If there is anyway that PPF can be squeezed into your budget, it is such great protection from the Snapper Heads that don't respect your ride or who are intentionally trying to damage her.

Anyone who has read my previous posts, will know that I paid over $6K CAD for my install. It was a really difficult decision to make at the time. Now..... Once I've experienced the magic... I would never own a nice vehicle again without it.

IT IS A CAR ENTHUSIASTS BLESSING!
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
brother!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
The stuff is truly amazing. The car is soooo much easier to clean because of it. I never worry about the swirls.
I laughed because just last night I was talking to my friend who has a beautiful Porsche 911 Carrera. 2014 I believe with a killer navy type blue paint job. Lots of metallic in the paint and from what he says it was a 6000 dollar upgrade for that paint from the factory. Sounds a lot to me but he claims this and he is also the one that ordered the car sooo.....
Anyhow he was complaining about swirls in his paint and took me outside to show me. Sorry, this was last week.Yep there was some big long sweepers on the drivers side.
Last night he told us he got them out. It took him 2 days. 2 DAYS!!!!
If it had the film it would have been gone on a nice day in the sunshine. Or use a bit of heat from a heat gun.
Well I think he is gonna get the film now. He dismissed what I told him before cause he’s wealthy and a snob and seems to know everything about cars but didn’t know what my ZLE was when I bought it.
Regardless, he had lots of questions about the PPF yesterday. I think those swirls were a wake up call for him and his precious Porsche paint
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Another amazing PPF story. Good job!
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
Sorry to keep beating the drum. I have another story to tell.

Pulled into the Chevron this afternoon. An older enthusiastic admirer approached the ZLE and started rubbing his hand HARD across the carbon fibre hood extractor before I had a chance to yell or physically stop him. The car had a very light layer of dust on her that combined with his need to feel the beast, would have required yet another going over with the DA polisher. During this encounter, he continued to touch and massage other painted areas of the car! I was loosing my sh#t! Friggin guy had to be 100 years old and didn't know any better I guess.

Anyways.. Came home, grabbed my 007 Gloss detail spray and all is good. I know I've said this several times in several different threads. If you can afford to PPF then PPF. It's an amazingly forgiving product, that simply allows the most anal of us to survive the worst.
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I’ll rub my hand on my car in front of people at car shows even though you can see the car has dust and dirt. Or I’ll even drive over an hour to a car show, and you know a black car will have dirt on it by then. I’ll arrive at the show and when I feel like it I’ll pull out the detailed and wipe the car down.
In the sun you’ll see swirls sometimes. Give it a bit and the swirls are gone long before the car show has ended.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote