Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
Dnice777

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Rear quarter panel repair vs replacement

So my camaro got rear ended today thanks to a Prius who’s driver was texting and not paying attention... but my question is, is it worth trying to push for the panel to be replaced my worry is that the paint will crack over time since it was bent and what not? Also I’ll add better pics tomorrow.
Attached Images

Dnice777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
shawndean22

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
replace everything with all oem parts. Repairing will never be the same.
shawndean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Repair could very well be good as new depending on who does the repairs and their experience with completing quality repairs.

However, a rule of thumb is to ALWAYS push for new. So in this case, yes, push for new. More importantly though, not only push for new but do your research as to which shops in your area have expertise with paint matching.

The last thing you want is to have a new rear quarter panel and new rear bumper but their paint is obviously different than the rest of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Pfuqu2ss

Drives: Fuqing car
With a replacement quarter, paint match is the least of the worries. Sealing and body work done where the old is cut off and the new is welded on are what I’d be most concerned about. Depending on how badly the metal is stretched, a fix might be the best way to go.

It’s always impossible to tell from pictures if there’s more damage underneath. Has an adjuster looked at it yet? Even after they do their write up, the shop may find more damage once they get into the tear down.

There’s a ton of factors that go into whether they fix or replace. Most insurance companies have an algorithm that takes into account year, milage, current value, etc.. Then if the fix/replacement falls under a certain % of the total value, they will ok it.

Personally, because I know it would get done 100% right, I’d demand a replacement. If you have complete faith in your body shop, ask them what they recommend. A lot of places will do free estimates, if you do that, don’t tell them it will be insurance work, you’re more likely to get their honest opinion if they don’t think they’ll have to dicker with an insurance rep.

Just my opinion.
Pfuqu2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
Dnice777

Thanks for the reply’s! The car got towed to my local Chevy dealership that has collision shop in it so hopefully I’ll have the appraisal in the next day or two, I’m definitely gona push for a new rear quarter panel because I don’t trust how it will hold up long term. I’ll update when I hear anything
Old 01-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I dont think a shop would repair that panel, that looks to be a replacement option only.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:08 AM   #7
Dnice777

So update on the car they are replacing the quarter panel and pretty much the whole rear of the car estimate was about $7,000 and 10 or so days to repair.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #8
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I hate Priuses. That sucks.

2019 GMC Terrain SLE 1.5T - Blue Steel Metallic/Black Cloth "Soccer Mom Spec"
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Glad they're replacing it for you, that's likely much less expensive for them and you will get a much better result. They are going to have to take the taillights both out to get that all fixed and painted so if you ever wanted to put in the smoked ZL1-1LE tail lights and 3rd brake light for zero labor this would be a good time!
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
Immoralus

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS A8
This is my worst fear, I would rathe them total the car than to replace the quarter panel. Now the vehicle has structural damage and will never be worth the same. However, I know insurance wouldn’t total the car out for 7k in repairs. Best advise to get them to replace it and ensure that the paint is matched 100%. Also, when you get it back make sure to compare the gaps between the deck lid and tails are symmetrical.

Best of luck
Immoralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #11
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Did you get it fixed yet?

2019 GMC Terrain SLE 1.5T - Blue Steel Metallic/Black Cloth "Soccer Mom Spec"
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:29 PM   #12
Pjharris

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro lt rs
I was wondering the same thing about mines