Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 06-25-2017, 11:39 PM   #1
Spazeack

Drives: 2023 2SS1LE
hard water spots

So i washed the car this weekend and i have very hard water in my area. The problem being the car started drying no matter how much i sprayed it and i have some pretty nasty water spots. Especially on the glass that just dont want to come off. Would Vinegar help get this stuff off?

any tips about keeping them from coming back that don't include getting one of those super filter systems for a couple hundered bucks?

Thanks,
Spazeack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazeack View Post
So i washed the car this weekend and i have very hard water in my area. The problem being the car started drying no matter how much i sprayed it and i have some pretty nasty water spots. Especially on the glass that just dont want to come off. Would Vinegar help get this stuff off?

any tips about keeping them from coming back that don't include getting one of those super filter systems for a couple hundered bucks?

Thanks,
Try a clay bar first, even on the glass. If that doesn't work, pick up CarPro's "Spotless". If that still doesn't work, you will probably have to polish them off. Depending on how bad the hard water spots are, you may have to venture past a finishing polish.

To prevent them from coming back, get a coating (Ceramic Pro, CQuartz, Pinnacle, GTechniq, Opticoat).

Glen will probably post here soon, so if he posts something different, i'd listen to him.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Sounds good to me! I'd try diluted vinegar first, before buying a pro product.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Thanks,
To remove the spots you have gotten, the advice above is as solid as can be.

In regards to preventing them in the future, there is really no way to do so unless you get those filtration systems you were talking about to filter out the minerals from your water.

Best you can do is to make sure you aren't leaving the car in the sun when you are drying and try no to let any water dry on the surface on the car. If you do, a simple spray with a detail spray of your choice should remove anything that is fresh.
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Wash car in shade only. This time of year when it's hot outside, do it only in the cool of the morning at sunrise. Do a pooling rinse after completing the car to remove as much water as possible from the surface.

Since you have hard water, a durable sealant to keep spots from etching. Lots of good sealants to choose from. Carpro Reload, Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish, Collinite 845, Sonus Ion, etc.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:

Thanks,
Check out this link on removing water spots.

http://adamspolishes.com/how-to-remove-water-spots
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:15 AM   #7
Spazeack

Thanks for all the tips guys its greatly appreciated. I might just have to invest in at least a water softener. Its just getting to hot to do it during the day since i have no shade to wash the car in till very late in the afternoon.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #8
1le32907

Drives: Summit white 1le ss
Check out chemical guys they make a hard water spot remover. I used it on my wife’s car bc it gets hit all the time by the sprinklers. That stuff was a miracle less than 30 mins on the whole side and it was looking brand new again. Just use a spray on wax or sealant after using too.
1le32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
Test the water. You should buy a simple chuck. Worth every penny
Old 07-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #10
MySS8U

Drives: Black 1SS 1LE
Hey ironically I learned this weekend you can use the Mr Clean erasers on this issue. Especially on your glass. I went to a local wrap shop and they used it ever so gently to my 1LE wrap. There was stains on it from hell. They tried every cleaner in there shop on it to no avail. Then they called there wrap customer support and asked what to do and they said to use the Mr Clean white padded erasers.They rubbed it slowly and ill tell you they spots are gone. They warned me don't rub to hard for to long or it will strip the color from the wrap. Trust me it worked. All they added was a little bit of water and patience.
MySS8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #11
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Get a water softener problem solved
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #12
Spazeack

buy a simple chuck?
Old 07-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #13
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
be VERY VERY careful with a Mr Clean eraser pad. it IS an abrasive, and will scratch. i wouldn't recommend it for wraps or clear coat, but at least with paint you can polish it out which you can't dont on a wrap. it's ok on trim very lightly, but the idea of anywhere else scares me. will it work, sure. will in induce other marks? yes.

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote