Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 03-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
Pressure Washer to clean cars at home

Just wanted to know if people over here use a pressure washer to clean their cars at home.

Currently, I live in a rental apartment and the nearest self-service wash center is about 3-4 miles away. I used to go there often with my buckets and everything, but they got pissed off since I was doing a bucket wash. And now, they have gone ahead and put a big sign which says "NO BUCKET WASHING". I have tried a different method where I use their water and soap but not their brush.. but driving the car down every time I want to wash is becoming a bit of pain. Plus I have two cars to take care of, so the inconvenience is more.

So, I was thinking about putting some money into a good pressure washer. One of the things I would like on it, would be, to have a longer power cord, since I am not sure I can clean the car in the garage..and so I will have to take the car on the road and do it. The road is just a few feet away.

So, coming back to my question, what systems do you guys use to clean the car at home. Do you use pressure washer at all? What is the max psi you should be using to avoid chipping the paint (i have read abt 1500 or under)?

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
The consumer models that you get on Amazon, Home Depot, etc. are not great. You can expect about a year or two with regular use before they die. THey are cheaply made with lots of plastic hose fittings and junk like that. Same goes for gas or electric. With gas PWs you can rebuild the carburetor, but that is such a hassle. I have killed 2 already. Since they cost $150-300, I couldve bought 1 good professional PW for the price of the 2 I have already killed.

I am looking at a professional Kranzle unit like this one (but not quite this expensive):

https://jet.com/product/detail/4ee02...a:2&code=PLA15

There are tons of threads on this on autogeek.net forum.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
In your situation, there's no reason to use a pressure washer. I washed my cars for years at an apartment condo, and still wash it without a hose without really a bucket wash. Read my signature, learn to do a RINSELESS and you'll not only save time, but your car will look better.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
In your situation, there's no reason to use a pressure washer. I washed my cars for years at an apartment condo, and still wash it without a hose without really a bucket wash. Read my signature, learn to do a RINSELESS and you'll not only save time, but your car will look better.

Try rinseless the Glen e way. He won me over and I bet you will agree once you try it. This would be a perfect method for your situation.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
I got a Ryobi last year with the Honda motor. I do use it to wash the cars but honestly it is overkill. I mainly use it on the wheels to get all that brake gook off there and the rest is just light spraying mostly.

But hey, it's an excuse to use a power tool

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
My cars routinely are too dirty to use only a rinseless. So I use my gas 3000psi pressure washer but I turn the pressure way down. I had bought a Ryobi 1500psi electric pressure washer but it's a piece of crap.
My local car wash water is as bad a mine. So in combination with pressure washer I use a water dionizier(CR Spotless), dry off with electric blower, then do a rinseless wash.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
bhavyas

Quote:
Hey Glen, I already use your rinseless wash method. However, sometimes my car gets too dirty and in that case I go to the self car wash service .. what do you recommend when the car is pretty dirty? Do you end up using more of the duragloss solution?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavyas View Post
Hey Glen, I already use your rinseless wash method. However, sometimes my car gets too dirty and in that case I go to the self car wash service .. what do you recommend when the car is pretty dirty? Do you end up using more of the duragloss solution?
If it's real dirty, I take it down to a spray place ,set it on rinse and spray the car down then take it home and do a rinseless. If your car is too dirty that one swipe of a sopping wet rinseless microfiber doesn't get in clean in one pass, it needs to go in.

When a car is slightly dirty more than you like, a bit more DG in the solution will help, and add maybe two towels per panel instead of my recommended one towel per panel.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
bhavyas

Quote:
If it's real dirty, I take it down to a spray place ,set it on rinse and spray the car down then take it home and do a rinseless. If your car is too dirty that one swipe of a sopping wet rinseless microfiber doesn't get in clean in one pass, it needs to go in.

When a car is slightly dirty more than you like, a bit more DG in the solution will help, and add maybe two towels per panel instead of my recommended one towel per panel.
I think this makes a lot of sense. I just realized I dont even have access to a water outlet in my garage space, making it more of a hassle. I think I will stick by what you just advised.

Thanks Glen
Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
Glen e

You have to remember how/why rinse less works. The real key is the plush side of the microfiber towel picking up the dirt in its fibers, so therefore more clean microfiber surface that touches the car , is going to get off more dirt. The rinseless is not just soap, it's a a liquid with more lubrication to float off the dirt, therefore double up the amount of towels you use. I usually use 5-6, on a dirty car, I'd use 10 or so......
Old 03-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Buy yourself a 5 gallon bucket with a screw seal top, you can put the rinseless solution and water in the bucker in your apartment, then you can do a rinseless wash anywhere, even the local park in the shade!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Buy yourself a 5 gallon bucket with a screw seal top, you can put the rinseless solution and water in the bucker in your apartment, then you can do a rinseless wash anywhere, even the local park in the shade!
Exactly!....what we do every couple months at our sports bar on my friends car. IN 15 MINUTES.......

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/18...rking-lot.html
Old 03-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #13
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 1LT
I prefer to wash my cars with this one: https://www.facebook.com/BBCOne/vide...4212679021232/
Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #14
bhavyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMasticTB91 View Post
I prefer to wash my cars with this one: https://www.facebook.com/BBCOne/vide...4212679021232/
Would definitely use it when I want to transform my car from a coupe to a permanent open-top car !!! Hahaha