Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
Lord Dirt

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Few quick wax and sealant questions from a rookie

Just need a few questions:

My car has the rally stripes and I was wondering if they are ok to wax and/or seal since they are not actually painted on. Don't want them to get ruined but they do bead up in the rain so something is already on them.

Should I wax my car or use a sealant? Do I use one and then the other? Would that be overkill if I use one right after the other?

Been reading these forums and my head is spinning with info. I want my car to shine now and in the future but I don’t know what to use and the order to use it correctly.

Thanks in advance!
Lord Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Treat stripes just like your new paint. Don't polish it ,just wax or seal. Sealant is far more durable and really there's no longer any reason to use wax and less you're going to a show

try and read the documents in my signature. It's all you really need to know if you're just starting out.

While you are reading and learning, just go down to the auto parts store and buy some car wash and some Meguires "quick wax" ....follow the labels and you'll be fine.....

Last edited by Glen e; 07-20-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
Lord Dirt

Thanks, I just wanted something that would look good and protect my car but I didn't know where to start so I came here.

Lots of different things out now, totally different from when I started driving 25 years ago. Things were pretty basic back then. Just wash your car and wax it.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dirt View Post
Just need a few questions:

My car has the rally stripes and I was wondering if they are ok to wax and/or seal since they are not actually painted on. Don't want them to get ruined but they do bead up in the rain so something is already on them.

Should I wax my car or use a sealant? Do I use one and then the other? Would that be overkill if I use one right after the other?

Been reading these forums and my head is spinning with info. I want my car to shine now and in the future but I don’t know what to use and the order to use it correctly.

Thanks in advance!
Are your stripes a gloss or a matte finish?
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
Lord Dirt

They are highly reflective like the paint. If you didn't know better you would think they were painted on so I would say a gloss finish.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dirt View Post
They are highly reflective like the paint. If you didn't know better you would think they were painted on so I would say a gloss finish.
In that case, using the sealant would be your best bet. Check out this Adam's video for some helpful info as well.

timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Thanks Timmy8784, Here is a link too.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/134...vinyl-stripes/
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Lord Dirt

Thanks guys, I went with the Meguires Quick Wax and it work very well. Gave the car a nice shine. It rained yesterday and beaded really well and the water just rolled off after the rain stopped. Car looks like it got washed and has very few water spots left from the rain. Looks like it just washed away the layer of dirt.