Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 06-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #15
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
When your washing your car you first rinse, to remove as much dirt as possible.

Then you soak it with the foam gun, this step as well as all steps should be done in the shade, when the surface is cool.

After foaming you allow it to sit for a few minutes, 3-5. This is to emulsify any stuck on dirt, so when you wash, it will wipe away easily.

As far as a lot of soap, I don't have this issue, if your using a concentrated soap, I use Optimum or Duragloss, you only need 2 oz in a quart sized foam gun. Swirl the solution around after you've added soap/water and put the lid on, until the entire contents are uniform in color.

The foam gun is designed to loosen film/dirt off your car, making it easy to remove.

Scrubbing the clear coat is a sure fire way to create swirls.

If your getting dirt on your drying towel, I would stop, re-wash the panel where you picked up dirt. Don't use the drying towel again until it's washed, switch to a fresh towel.

I've tried most all of the wash mitts and drying towels on the market. You won't find any better then Microfiber Madness Incredimitt, and Dry Me Crazy.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #16
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
I truly have yet to see a difference in my washes... People here claim it helps reduce friction between car and mitt..

I found a better solution.

Right before I put the mitt on the car, with a ketchup like dispenser bottle, I squirt some cleaning soap on the panel and boom... frictionless and phenomenal clean.. The foam gun truly, IMO does nothing.. Add to it... My car is STILL dirty, which leads to my second question.

Everyone says you CANT put pressure on your car when washing.. How the hell do I get dirt and grime off the car then? I blast it with a hose, then foam gun, then mitt, and I'm still (when drying) picking up dirt....
Do I apply more pressure on the car?

Thanks
It not so much about friction, it is to precondition and loosen contaminates. The lubrication will be provided by the soap and quality. I have to ask have you tired any of the recommended foam soaps, or are you blowing traditional soap through it?
http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2m-foam/

The proper sequence is to foam the car and let it dwell to loosen contaminates. Some dirt will be removed during this process.

Next step is to rinse off the foam, further removing contaminates.

The on the the wash method of choice IE 2 bucket, rinseless, or waterless.

As far as washing goes, anything more than enough pressure to move the wash media across the surface is too much if you want to keep swirls and scratches to a minimum. If your still left with dirt into the drying process you need to precondition, with a better snow soap, or apply better Last step products to lessen bonding.

The key here is to have a good product protecting the paint to begin with,
such as a sealant, or coating. Either have a slick surface and lessen the ability of things to stick to the paint well to begin with.

Please list the product that you are using.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #17
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
When your washing your car ....
Well said. I also only use 2oz of soap to wash a car or truck.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote