Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Cracked brake caliper piston

So some of you may have seen where I installed my pads wrong and destroyed a rotor. Turns out one of the pistons is cracked.

What does this mean as far as braking power/safety? Seems like it could last like this for a while under compressive strength. I intend to fix it but cant do it anytime soon... definitely not before my event at Thunderhill tomorrow. If that's the case may be I should just wait to see what the 1LE will have so I can upgrade to that?

Anyone with real knowledge on these who can lend advice?

Thank you!

Matt
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Is the edge cracked or the face?

Not sure how demanding Thunder hill is on these cars, but it's prob more than an autox event.

Depending on where and how bad the piston is cracked, a total failure from the crack could cause fluid leakage on a brake failure level.

When I upgraded the pistons on my w6a'S to the thermal coated pistons, taking apart the 6 piston caliper enabled me to see how it all worked.

Like said depending on location of the crack, you may or may not wanna push it too much.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
possibly_burrito

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Post pictures.

Your enemy in this situation is heat, not the pressure by itself. When piston will heat up, the crack will expand.
possibly_burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
evanescent03

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Is the edge cracked or the face?

Not sure how demanding Thunder hill is on these cars, but it's prob more than an autox event.

Depending on where and how bad the piston is cracked, a total failure from the crack could cause fluid leakage on a brake failure level.

When I upgraded the pistons on my w6a'S to the thermal coated pistons, taking apart the 6 piston caliper enabled me to see how it all worked.

Like said depending on location of the crack, you may or may not wanna push it too much.
140+ mph zone plus others at 100 spots... more speed is good for air cooling but I think most tracks take a larger toll on brakes than most autox... but each are definitely abusive.

It seems like I will be taking a risk if I went out like this... It seems like in some scenarios it would last a long time butt would be pretty upset with myself if I had a catastrophic failure and destroy the car even with insurance...

Thanks for the input... disassembling the caliper was a good experience for you!! Nice! I wish I had time to dig into it but I don't right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by possibly_burrito View Post
Post pictures.

Your enemy in this situation is heat, not the pressure by itself. When piston will heat up, the crack will expand.
No photos unfortunately ... tech said the crack was small now but I definitely put a strain on these things so I don't want to push it. I read about a guy who had one split and drain all his fluid (SRT 10 ram) ... luckily it was before he left the parking lot but knowing that's a possibility. . No thanks.

I appreciate the input!

TRACK DAY CANCELLED FOR TOMORROW :( there will be a next time!
Old 06-04-2016, 03:40 AM   #5
possibly_burrito

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
TRACK DAY CANCELLED FOR TOMORROW :( there will be a next time!
Maybe that's for the better?
possibly_burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Yea, this post had me thinkin all night.

It's like bitter sweet that you have to cancel it, but at the same time, safety first.

Similar to the Dodge ramSRT issue, I've seen a piston seal failure at summit point raceway locally, and it's basically the same outcome as if someone cuts that corners brake lines.

Been following your posts and vids on various tracks including my fave in the US, laguna... and it would suck to see any dmg to the car over a failed part.

It's sucks to make the call, but good call in my view.

And def working with a disassembly on calipers, it's a whole new world of learning with piston options, sizes and thicknesses.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
evanescent03

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Yea, this post had me thinkin all night.

It's like bitter sweet that you have to cancel it, but at the same time, safety first.

Similar to the Dodge ramSRT issue, I've seen a piston seal failure at summit point raceway locally, and it's basically the same outcome as if someone cuts that corners brake lines.

Been following your posts and vids on various tracks including my fave in the US, laguna... and it would suck to see any dmg to the car over a failed part.

It's sucks to make the call, but good call in my view.

And def working with a disassembly on calipers, it's a whole new world of learning with piston options, sizes and thicknesses.
yeah - I was really hoping some expert would chime in and say "dude, no worries, if it explodes you'll only lose a little braking power, the car may pull slightly to that side but it won't be catastrophic."

I got no such answer. Learning that I could dump the fluid if the piston splits completely made it a no-brainer for me. not worth the risk at all. I wasn't sure how they were sealed from the inside, if at all.

I wish I could've gotten to Thunderhill but not yet. it'll be a while before I get the chance to get back on track since i'm starting a pretty intense training program tomorrow. i'm hopin that i'll be able to do a Saturday at Laguna, Sonoma or Thunderhill once in a while. My forum involvement will probably also fall off pretty sharply but I may lurk a little. Hopefully you've been entertained following some of my videos!

I lost a track day but happy to know I didn't take unnecessary risk .. I've got a family so, like I said, no brainer once I realized I could open the system up.

thanks for the input!
Old 06-06-2016, 01:13 AM   #8
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Quote:
If that's the case may be I should just wait to see what the 1LE will have so I can upgrade to that.
Matt
The 1LE will have the upgraded 6 piston brake kit which is already available. It is a bit pricey, but should help with brake fade vs stock.

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/perfor...-92286463.html
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Glad you did the right thing with cancelling your event.
You might want to play it "dumb" and get the dealer repair the problem under warranty. Pads and rotors should not be covered, but the piston might be...
Old 06-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
yeah - I was really hoping some expert would chime in and say "dude, no worries, if it explodes you'll only lose a little braking power, the car may pull slightly to that side but it won't be catastrophic."

I got no such answer. Learning that I could dump the fluid if the piston splits completely made it a no-brainer for me. not worth the risk at all. I wasn't sure how they were sealed from the inside, if at all.

I wish I could've gotten to Thunderhill but not yet. it'll be a while before I get the chance to get back on track since i'm starting a pretty intense training program tomorrow. i'm hopin that i'll be able to do a Saturday at Laguna, Sonoma or Thunderhill once in a while. My forum involvement will probably also fall off pretty sharply but I may lurk a little. Hopefully you've been entertained following some of my videos!

I lost a track day but happy to know I didn't take unnecessary risk .. I've got a family so, like I said, no brainer once I realized I could open the system up.

thanks for the input!
You made the right call.

That said - a cracked piston won't blow apart or blow fluid. It can leak fluid - but based on it being surrounded on all sides - it aint going to totally self destruct.

I'd say if you were limping home on the highway - prolly ok. HPDE events require way too much braking - plus any fluid on the track puts others at risk as well.
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote