Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
Brake fluid is one of many things you should change prior to a track day. Is it worth worrying about all the little things? Its highly dependent on the track and driver experience level. Remember DOT 3 has a Dry Boiling point of 400F MINIMUM(key word here), the pads will insulate the heat from going into the fluid, running 30 min sessions with an hour in-between at a novice level he will be ok. If the OP has the means to replace all the fluid out sure but he should also change the pads to higher temp ratings, his engines oil to Dexos2, have replacement differential oil handy and possibly transmission fluid as well.

Your experience sounds like you need to upgrade your parts to handle your level of abuse on the track. If you overheated your calipers so badly as to cook the seals then you need to add brake cooling immediately and upgrade your parts brake fluid wont save you from severely overheating brakes as you mentioned.
Exactly this.

Going down the interest of safety, again, it will not *hurt* if he does it. I don't think anyone would argue against that.

But, if you're going to tow the 'in the interest of safety' line, then one could argue a HANS and a roll cage should also be done at the same time, why? In the interest of safety.

Logic dictates a 1st timer will not be anywhere near approaching the limits of braking and cooking things, and if he does, the instructor has failed the student completely.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #16
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
Brake fluid is one of many things you should change prior to a track day. Is it worth worrying about all the little things? Its highly dependent on the track and driver experience level. Remember DOT 3 has a Dry Boiling point of 400F MINIMUM(key word here), the pads will insulate the heat from going into the fluid, running 30 min sessions with an hour in-between at a novice level he will be ok. If the OP has the means to replace all the fluid out sure but he should also change the pads to higher temp ratings, his engines oil to Dexos2, have replacement differential oil handy and possibly transmission fluid as well.

Your experience sounds like you need to upgrade your parts to handle your level of abuse on the track. If you overheated your calipers so badly as to cook the seals then you need to add brake cooling immediately and upgrade your parts brake fluid wont save you from severely overheating brakes as you mentioned.
That was something stupid I did back in 2012.

I've seen plenty of newbies come to track days and destroy the brakes on their stock cars (it's been mostly new 5th Gen Camaro and 5th Gen Mustang guys). Hell, I've see a 5th Gen SS owner destroy his stock brakes through a weekend of autocross.

Just trying to help guys... I've done the experiment of changing one (and only one) brake component at a time at the track. Pads and fluid have been the biggest step from stock and about equal in "bang for the buck" change. Followed by brake cooling, then larger brakes, than better calipers, then tweeking pads. From what I understand, the pads on the 6th Gen 4 and 6 piston brakes are decent - why Im going with the fluid suggestion as it sounds like that may be a weak point.

Not trying to argue here. Stating my experience and trying to help...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:13 AM   #17
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
There is no way to judge someones driving ability, or brake usage over the internet. Entry level or not change that fluid before you take the risk. Loosing the brakes is not only dangerous, but it also will cut your day short when you boil the fluid and lose confidence in the brakes. Even worse a lot of times begginers often overuse the brakes, or brake improperly, they start to fade and use them even more causing the issue to be worse than it should be. Do yourself a huge favor and upgrade the fluid at a minimum.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #18
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
There is no way to judge someones driving ability, or brake usage over the internet. Entry level or not change that fluid before you take the risk. Loosing the brakes is not only dangerous, but it also will cut your day short when you boil the fluid and lose confidence in the brakes. Even worse a lot of times begginers often overuse the brakes, or brake improperly, they start to fade and use them even more causing the issue to be worse than it should be. Do yourself a huge favor and upgrade the fluid at a minimum.
Couldn't have said it better.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #19
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Change your fluid
This is a 3700-3800 lb. car. The brakes will suffer. If it's a hot spring day, they will suffer even more. A bottle of Motul on Amazon is about $18 . Buy a couple. You can bleed it yourself or ask your local shop to do it for you (labor ~$50).

I cannot testify on the stock pads on the track, but that would be the second thing you should do.

For my first track day on my Camaro SS(intermediate group) I'm planing to change the brake fluid , Carbotech pads XP10 front XP8 rear , and stainless steel brake lines (if I COULD FIND ANY)

I already made this mistake with another 3800 lb. car. Cooked my fluid and killed my pads in 1 day.
Be safe, have fun and learn something
Old 04-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcynet View Post
First thing I did, Casteroil SRF.
+1. Castrol SRF is great...extremely expensive...but I consider it a protection plan...I don't want a soft pedal going 100+ into a corner...I think it's wet boiling point is higher than some fluids' dry boiling point.

Definitely change your fluid before a track day. Autocross and drag races, not so much...but while the car has ample brake cooling to probably handle it: changing the fluid is a cheap guarantee your brakes won't overheat.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #21
2drstunner

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro SS
I just wanted to take a minute and thank everyone who responded I have been on a track before but I am definitely still a newbie. I did a event at Watkins Glen with some of the Srt vehicles and I also rented a Ferrari 458 and a Audi R8 in Vegas and raced on the Las Vegas motor Speedway. So have I done it before yes am I by any means good at it probably not. I am def going to change my brake fluid and see how that goes I'm not going to go as far as changing pads because my car only has 2000 miles on it.
2drstunner is offline   Reply With Quote