Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Luigi91

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
My first door ding

So I was out debadging my car today...and noticed I now have a paint chip in my passenger door from someone hitting it...ugh. I have had the car 6 days. My car is the regular black. The chip is small, but quite deep, with a small scratch leading to it as well. Does anyone know approx how much something like that costs to fix? Will it be noticeable after it's fixed?
Luigi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
150-200 ......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:49 AM   #3
LovePhenom
I am a UAW/GM employee.

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6
Park FAR away from other cars.
Summit White 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 Auto w/ Adrenaline Red Interior, Red Hash Marks, 20" Machined Face Aluminum Wheels, Convenience & Lighting Package, Performance Exhaust , 8" MyLink w/ Navigation, Sunroof, RS Wheel Caps, GlowTie, Splash Guards, Red LGX Engine Cover, All Weather Premium Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Red Knee Bolsters, Black Front Fascia Extension, RS Floor Console Lid, Red MGP Caliper Covers, ZL1 AddOns Tow Hook, 2017 ZL1 Spoiler.

Coming
Soon:

LovePhenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePhenom View Post
Even when I do this, some idiot decides to park right next to me. The only 2 dings I had on my 13 were from parking away from anyone, then to come out of store, and some jerk is parked almost on top of my car, with a welcoming door ding I swear people do this on purpose.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Luigi91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePhenom View Post
I try, but there isn't a whole lot of parking on base, so it fills up.

Glen, once it's fixed will it be noticeable?
Old 02-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
Glen e

That depends on the fix. If you get a professional do it , no it won't show. If you attempt to do it yourself, and don't know what you're doing, yes, it will show. I fix dings myself if it's not in an area where my eyes immediately go, like the hood or door. But for things that are right in the middle of a large reflective surface, lke a door, I use a professional.That's pretty much just common sense. You can find a mobile service , search "paintless dent repair" that will come to you and fix it . You will will not be able to see it for 150 to 200. Google it to find somebody local. It's a franchise.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-20-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Luigi91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
That depends on the fix. If you get a professional do it , no it won't show. If you attempt to do it yourself, and don't know what you're doing, yes, it will show. I fix dings myself if it's not in an area where my eyes immediately go, like the hood or door. But for things that are right in the middle of a large reflective surface, lke a door, I use a professional.That's pretty much just common sense. You can find a mobile service , search "paintless dent repair" that will come to you and fix it . You will will not be able to see it for 150 to 200. Google it to find somebody local. It's a franchise.
Paintless dent repair is the exact opposite of what I need. I have a paint chip, but no dent. My car will be at the dealer on monday, I will see what they would charge then look around.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi91 View Post
Paintless dent repair is the exact opposite of what I need. I have a paint chip, but no dent. My car will be at the dealer on monday, I will see what they would charge then look around.

No.....they do both.....ding and dent repair. And you will be surprised, it prob is microscopically dented enuf to throw off the reflection if just touched up.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-20-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
No.....they do both.....ding and dent repair. And you will be surprised, it prob is microscopically dented enuf to throw off the reflection if just touched up.
This ^ Sure you can buy a bottle of your color from your dealership for $10 bucks.

Pros - ten min fix for $10
Cons - looks like crap on a stick, won't last

If you value your car get it done the right way. And I see you park on base, if active or retired thank you for your service.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Even when I do this, some idiot decides to park right next to me. The only 2 dings I had on my 13 were from parking away from anyone, then to come out of store, and some jerk is parked almost on top of my car, with a welcoming door ding I swear people do this on purpose.
I feel the same way. I parked in the very back of Walmart the other day. Come back out and a beat up 90's red neck Dodge truck is parked right next to it. It makes no sense!
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote