#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 12-21-2023, 02:35 PM   #1
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Popping noise

Hi All,

I picked up a brand new 2023 SS 1le in August. Since the first week of purchase, during the first couple mins of driving it will make a popping noise. It goes pop pop pop or clunk clunk clunk. It only does it one time and it’s always during the first 5 mins of driving or less. It doesn’t do it every time so when I took it to the dealer they weren’t able to replicate it. If it does it, it will only do it during the first drive of the day. I actually left it overnight at the dealer in order to try and replicate it.

It typically occurs when turning at a 45 degree angle or less. Does not do it after or during a 90 degree turn. Some times it does it a few seconds after a <45 degree angle turn. I am not driving spirited when it does it as it only does it within the first couple mins of driving.

Dealer said they checked everything and everything was torqued/nothing was loose. I jacked the car up myself and yanked on the sway bar end links, ball joints, control arms, etc and didn’t feel anything was loose.

Anyone ever deal with this or have any idea what it might be? I plan on tracking my car in the spring and would love to resolve this before I do.

Wheels are torqued to spec. I actually have 2 sets of wheels and it does it with both sets.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 02:56 PM   #2
scott_0

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Metallic SS 1le
has the dealership been able to replicate your concern? if they have, they need to figure out the issue, call GM corporate if the dealership isn't helping
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 09:25 PM   #3
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
This sort of sounds like the diff issue that there was a TSB for. Although the TSB stops at 2019 model year. You could try talking to the dealership about this or do it on your own if so inclined.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60114-9999.pdf

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 07:31 AM   #4
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
has the dealership been able to replicate your concern? if they have, they need to figure out the issue, call GM corporate if the dealership isn't helping
They weren’t able to replicate it. In their defense it is really hard to replicate it. It doesn’t do it all the time and will only do it one time when it doesn’t.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 12-22-2023, 07:35 AM   #5
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
This sort of sounds like the diff issue that there was a TSB for. Although the TSB stops at 2019 model year. You could try talking to the dealership about this or do it on your own if so inclined.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60114-9999.pdf
Thanks for the suggestion but it isn’t this. My first 6th Gen had the diff issue. That made more of a groaning sound and would do it on sharp turns. Service advisor actually suggested this but having had the issue on my prior 6th Gen I knew it wasn’t this.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 12-22-2023, 07:45 AM   #6
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
M6,

Yeah, interesting. Your first Gen6 pretty much had the EXACT symptoms as from the TSB, but it's weird that now it's with less-than-45-degree turns, and popping as compared to definite "moaning".

May I ax possibly silly question: does it do it at almost the same, or similar, LOCATION each time? I guess I'm wondering if there could be something having to do with side-to-side slope of the road, and the resulting uneven load on the rear suspension.

For instance, if it seems to do it "almost only" when you have a noticeably off-camber turn, then maybe that could be some sort of clue. Admittedly just reaching here...
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:40 AM   #7
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
M6,

Yeah, interesting. Your first Gen6 pretty much had the EXACT symptoms as from the TSB, but it's weird that now it's with less-than-45-degree turns, and popping as compared to definite "moaning".

May I ax possibly silly question: does it do it at almost the same, or similar, LOCATION each time? I guess I'm wondering if there could be something having to do with side-to-side slope of the road, and the resulting uneven load on the rear suspension.

For instance, if it seems to do it "almost only" when you have a noticeably off-camber turn, then maybe that could be some sort of clue. Admittedly just reaching here...
This is a great question, not silly. It typically does it at the same two turns, but has done it at other turns (when leaving work instead of my house). It also has done it right AFTER turning as well on hills. The two turns it typically does it at have slight elevation changes. If the car doesn’t make the sound at the first turn, it sometimes will at the second turn. Both are 45 degree or less turns. The second one has more of an elevation change than the first. Again want to point out you will only hear the sound once per drive and it’s always 3 pops. To me it sounds like it’s from the right rear.

My last 6th Gen SS with significantly more miles did not make this noise at those two turns. It wasn’t a 1le however.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 12-26-2023, 09:57 AM   #8
m6-lt1

Bump. Bringing this back up to the top. Anyone have any ideas based on the extra info right above?

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 12-27-2023, 05:19 PM   #9
Outahand

Drives: 2018 ZL1
On my 18 ZL1 I had to tighten the sway bar end links.I did it once and then had to do it one more time. No further issues with over 50 k miles.

There was also an issue with the front rims. I pulled front wheels and cleaned mating surface. Put very light coat of white lithium grease then reinstalled. Never came back.
87 Grand National. Stock
65 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon Grand National motor/tran
66 Bronco Rockbuggy
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins 6 speed
Outahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:20 AM   #10
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outahand View Post
On my 18 ZL1 I had to tighten the sway bar end links.I did it once and then had to do it one more time. No further issues with over 50 k miles.

There was also an issue with the front rims. I pulled front wheels and cleaned mating surface. Put very light coat of white lithium grease then reinstalled. Never came back.
Thanks! I did read about the sway bar end link issue on early SS 1le’s and Zl1’s. I tried yanking on them and they seemed like they were tight. I could tell the dealer to tighten them anyway. Maybe just because they feel tight doesn’t necessarily mean they are tight.

I have 2 sets of wheels and tires so I don’t think the noise is coming from that as it made the noise with both sets. Everything I read also said that’s more of a clicking noise versus a pop but then again I haven’t heard the “clicking” noises on video so I could be wrong.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 12-28-2023, 10:24 AM   #11
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I haven't had this problem myself and don't fully understand how the rear suspension components mesh, but here's a thought at risk of being silly:

Could it maybe be one of the bushings in the rear suspension isn't seated properly? Something that could only happen when a suspension arm is moving and spring/shock is compressing or decompressing? This would be harder to replicate on a lift because it would require additional jacks and can't mimic the torque vector (when turning) imparted to suspension components.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 03:35 PM   #12
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I haven't had this problem myself and don't fully understand how the rear suspension components mesh, but here's a thought at risk of being silly:

Could it maybe be one of the bushings in the rear suspension isn't seated properly? Something that could only happen when a suspension arm is moving and spring/shock is compressing or decompressing? This would be harder to replicate on a lift because it would require additional jacks and can't mimic the torque vector (when turning) imparted to suspension components.
Thanks. I don't think your idea is silly. That makes a lot of sense to me. If the weather holds up I'l try to replicate it with additional jacks. If not I'll mention this theory to the dealer when I take it in for my 1500 mile diff fluid change. One thing I didn't mention to the dealer last time I took it in was that HILLS + low angle turns make the noise happen. It still unfortunately will only occur one time per drive and only if the cars been sitting 2+ days. I did manage to get it on recording but it's kinda hard to hear.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 12-29-2023, 07:06 PM   #13
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Try searching Camaro6 threads (on google, use search terms "Camaro6" and "binding" and maybe "rear") and you should find a thread or two I remember reading about the bushing or suspension arm binding.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 12:16 PM   #14
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Hi All,

I picked up a brand new 2023 SS 1le in August. Since the first week of purchase, during the first couple mins of driving it will make a popping noise. It goes pop pop pop or clunk clunk clunk. It only does it one time and it’s always during the first 5 mins of driving or less. It doesn’t do it every time so when I took it to the dealer they weren’t able to replicate it. If it does it, it will only do it during the first drive of the day. I actually left it overnight at the dealer in order to try and replicate it.

It typically occurs when turning at a 45 degree angle or less. Does not do it after or during a 90 degree turn. Some times it does it a few seconds after a <45 degree angle turn. I am not driving spirited when it does it as it only does it within the first couple mins of driving.

Dealer said they checked everything and everything was torqued/nothing was loose. I jacked the car up myself and yanked on the sway bar end links, ball joints, control arms, etc and didn’t feel anything was loose. It sounds like a popping noise, almost like a clunk but not really.

Anyone ever deal with this or have any idea what it might be? I plan on tracking my car in the spring and would love to resolve this before I do.

Wheels are torqued to spec. I actually have 2 sets of wheels and it does it with both sets.
Did you ever figure this one out? I have a '23 with something similar. I thought it was the ground air dam rubbing but I have that removed. I recently installed sway bars but they should be tight to spec but I'll have to check the rears again.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote