Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 02-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
M235i owner test drives the 6th Gen SS

I posted this today on the BMW 2 Series forum so it was for that audience. But still appropriate to this forum. My history is that I bought new Camaro Z28s in 1980 and '84, and followed those with Mustang GTs in 1987, '95, and '05. I had the '05 Mustang pictured in the avatar for 10 years before trading it for the BMW. After two years with the BMW, I'm starting to rethink the decision to switch.

Here's the post:

I had been considering a Camaro SS since the 6th gen came out, but never to the point of wanting to actually trade mine for one. Mostly because the 2 Series is rather unique and the Camaro is not. The 1LE might change that. Folks are starting to get them now, and there are threads over on the camaro6 forums with BMW M and Porsche converts among them. The 1LE is a special car.

There are none within 60 miles of me, but there are some "regular" SS models nearby, so I went to drive one today to get the basic 6th gen experience.

Wow! My first thought was that it was like a race car. SO much more aggressive than the M235i. The main attraction is the 6.2L V8. Best factory exhaust sound I have ever heard. I think the exhaust was just the normal exhaust, and not the NPP dual mode exhaust that comes with the 1LE. Anyway, it was like a menacing tone whether I was accelerating, decelerating, or cruising steadily. Pops and snaps at all times. And the V8 was so responsive. The slightest throttle inputs make the car jump. But what do you expect when it's 455/455 output. I can't even imagine what it's like at full throttle since I've never driven a car that powerful.

I loved the steering. The flat-bottomed wheel is cool. The feel was direct and more twitchy than I expected. Very quick. In Normal mode on the SS the weight was perfect - a little heavier than my 2er in Sport mode - and no numbness.

My biggest concern was what the reviews were saying, that the visibility is horrible and a deal-breaker for some. And it's a rather large car. Turned out I was perfectly comfortable in that car from the minute I left the dealer lot. Very easy car to drive. The Recaro seats are comfortable, the driving position is fine, the clutch was light and predictable, the shifter hefty and precise. All the controls are good (except the weird electronic parking brake switch!). Even had a HUD!

I loved it.

The 1LE adds Magnetic ride control, extra cooling, 6-piston Brembos, tuned suspension, bigger wheels and tires, eLSD, plus interior and exterior cosmetic bits.

I am to the point of being excited about the 1LE.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Good review.. Just FYI, the 1LE comes with NPP dual mode (4 tips total) exhaust which is also an option on the SS. There is no extra cooling on the 1LE and mag ride is also an option on a standard SS. But it does come with 6-piston Brembos, tuned suspension, bigger wheels and tires, eLSD, Recaro seats.

The value of the 1LE is amazing for the price you pay. It will run circles around an M4 on the track and tie it on the straights manual per manual.

I drove my co-workers M4 a handful of times with the DCT tranny. Love the car, feels like a baller driving it, good power. With that said, one thing it's lacking compared to my SS is soul. Co-worker was very impressed with the sound and characteristic of V8 when he drove mine. Granted, mine is an M6 so that makes it that much more fun and raw.

Both cars are excellent.. M4, you feel like a baller.. Camaro V8+, you feel badass.

Last edited by Richard0nee; 02-04-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:31 AM   #3
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
6-pot Brembos are ALSO available as an option on the normal 1SS or 2SS.

The real list of 1LE features you can't get on a regular SS are:
1. eLSD
2. Magnetic Ride tuned for the 1LE
3. Various suspension parts like the sway bars and a few other bits that make a big difference.
4. Black Hood, Mirror Covers and Blade Spoiler.
5. Alcantara steering wheel and shifter
6. Some badging / minor stuff so you know you're in one.
7. Wheels and Tires significantly wider than regular SS.
8. Ability to purchase PDR (the super-cool recording thing that is tied to your car's telemetry and you can put the movies on Youtube).

It should be noted that a kit will be (has?) come out for the normal SS that includes the suspension pieces and POSSIBLY the Mag Ride Tuning (from what I know that is in it but I haven't seen anyone buy it yet to confirm). You don't get the eLSD and it would probably be expensive by itself.

One thing I want to note is that the basis for the 1LE is the 1SS so if you get a 1LE you can't get all the doodads that the 2SS has which are all tied to creature comforts. I for one like the doodads so I am sticking with my 2SS and just buying that 1LE handling package whenever it shows up.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
wjones14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
One thing I want to note is that the basis for the 1LE is the 1SS so if you get a 1LE you can't get all the doodads that the 2SS has which are all tied to creature comforts. I for one like the doodads so I am sticking with my 2SS and just buying that 1LE handling package whenever it shows up.
Yep, if there was one sticking point for me, it's this. I've come to the point where I realize there is no perfect car.

Not sure if "bored" is the right word, but I have some dissatisfaction with the M235i in the second year of ownership. Mainly:

1) I missed the raw mechanicals of the Mustang (or Camaro). The BMW insulates and overprotects you. It's a luxury car that's decently quick and nimble, but it's not raucous like the muscle cars.

2) It goes under the radar most of the time. For 10 years, the Mustang I owned started conversations where ever I went, no doubt most of that because of the yellow paint. Everyone knew what it was including non-enthusiasts. Even at Cars & Coffee meets, however, the BMW attracts very little attention. It doesn't look much different than any other BMW coupe, and regular BMW coupes are everywhere.

My first thought in pursuit of the perfect car was to upgrade to an M2. The exterior is seriously badass, and there's a boost in performance compared to mine. It solves problem #2 above, but not #1. Plus the configurations are very limited, for example you can't get the red leather interior like mine.

Then I started thinking about a Focus RS, of all things. On the plus side, it's a year round daily driver with AWD, 4 doors, 5 seats, and a hatch, and it's got a 350/350 engine. On the negative side, it's still a Focus, and it's really no performance increase over what I have.

The 1LE solves both #1 and #2. But, there are a few things I would want that can't be configured with the car:

- Navigation
- Adrenaline Red interior trim
- Rear parking sensors
- Blind spot alert
- Bose premium audio

If available, I would get all of them. But none of them are really deal-breakers for me.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
Old 02-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Mrmandmman

Drives: BMW
You could just get the 2SS for those options...not 1LE, but are you tracking it?
Mrmandmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
I'm a BMW convert. My last car was an e60 m5. I'm happy to be here!
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
- Navigation
- Adrenaline Red interior trim
- Rear parking sensors
- Blind spot alert
- Bose premium audio

If available, I would get all of them. But none of them are really deal-breakers for me.
Scratch NAV off right now. I have it on mine and have used it once or twice. Android Auto is miles better than factory. Even CarPlay is a solid replacement for it.

The Bose system leaves a lot to be desired. Not sure what you had in your M235i, but if it was the HK you will be severely disappointed with Bose.

BLIS is definitely nice to have but with the mirrors set right, I can see a car approach in the rearview and track it until it hits the side mirrors without a gap. So the light really doesn't do anything for me other than remind me.

The rear assist is another nice to have but I still rarely back in to spots. The cross traffic although is definitely great backing out of a busy parking lot.

I also came from a BMW ('14 328i Sport). Unless you are seriously interested in tracking/autox, a 2SS with NPP and MRC like mine will give you everything you could want and more handling ability than you will find a use for. The 1LE is great but overkill for a daily driver or weekend toy. And you know can get the 1LE kit for a SS (sans eLSD, wheels/tires). So you can pretty much make a 2SS a 1LE with the kit, wheels/tires, 6 pots and add recaros. Definitely food for thought.

Edit: link for 1LE kit now available

http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/suspen...45?parent=1034

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
wjones14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Scratch NAV off right now. I have it on mine and have used it once or twice. Android Auto is miles better than factory. Even CarPlay is a solid replacement for it.

The Bose system leaves a lot to be desired. Not sure what you had in your M235i, but if it was the HK you will be severely disappointed with Bose.

BLIS is definitely nice to have but with the mirrors set right, I can see a car approach in the rearview and track it until it hits the side mirrors without a gap. So the light really doesn't do anything for me other than remind me.

The rear assist is another nice to have but I still rarely back in to spots. The cross traffic although is definitely great backing out of a busy parking lot.

I also came from a BMW ('14 328i Sport). Unless you are seriously interested in tracking/autox, a 2SS with NPP and MRC like mine will give you everything you could want and more handling ability than you will find a use for. The 1LE is great but overkill for a daily driver or weekend toy. And you know can get the 1LE kit for a SS (sans eLSD, wheels/tires). So you can pretty much make a 2SS a 1LE with the kit, wheels/tires, 6 pots and add recaros. Definitely food for thought.

Edit: link for 1LE kit now available

http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/suspen...45?parent=1034
Thanks, that's all good advice.

I would track the car, but probably only once a year. At least that's what I've been doing since 2007. Included in those track days are Watkins Glen 3 times and Lime Rock twice. With a 1LE I might be tempted to do two track days per year, but probably no more than that.

The 1LE really appeals to me because it's a unique model. I agree that the track parts are not really essential for limited track use like my situation, but I'll take 'em.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Thanks, that's all good advice.

I would track the car, but probably only once a year. At least that's what I've been doing since 2007. Included in those track days are Watkins Glen 3 times and Lime Rock twice. With a 1LE I might be tempted to do two track days per year, but probably no more than that.

The 1LE really appeals to me because it's a unique model. I agree that the track parts are not really essential for limited track use like my situation, but I'll take 'em.
If you track that regularly I feel you would definitely enjoy the extras the 1LE gives you. So it really is a toss up in your situation. It's all about what you feel you will get the most value from. The convenience features of the 2SS or the track ability of the 1LE. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
Tim202

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
There is no extra cooling on the 1LE...
Pretty sure there is engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, and rear differential oil cooler not available on regular SS. I could be wrong though.
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim202 View Post
Pretty sure there is engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, and rear differential oil cooler not available on regular SS. I could be wrong though.
Mechanical

Cooling, external engine oil cooler
Cooler, engine coolant, auxiliary
Cooling system, extra capacity
Cooler, rear differential
Cooler, transmission oil

courtesy of chevy.com 1SS features.

Yes the SS has all of those coolers. Whether they are the same units for the 1LE I don't remember. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #12
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
Cmon guys lets be honest who's reallyyyyy using the nav that much? this isn't a family mini van that takes many road trips right? I can see the use going out of state to a race track or something along those lines. But like they said, use android or apple. can just be used off your phone if anything. Plus the onstar comes with nav. You call them, tell them the address while your driving and then the directions pop up on your screen. Its not as detailed, but it gets you there if you need it. What creature comforts in the 2ss are a deal breaker? heated seats? that's for a winter car. Dual zone temps? just makes your have to adjust the temperature twice instead of just once. Seats? the recaro's are a millionnnnn times better. I didn't see anything in the 2ss that appealed to me over the 1LE. The 1LE was miles ahead of it and it was a no brainer
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
What creature comforts in the 2ss are a deal breaker? heated seats? that's for a winter car. Dual zone temps? just makes your have to adjust the temperature twice instead of just once. Seats? the recaro's are a millionnnnn times better. I didn't see anything in the 2ss that appealed to me over the 1LE. The 1LE was miles ahead of it and it was a no brainer
Guess you don't have a wife that rides with you a lot lol. She always wants it warmer than me, hell she uses heated seats when most people are running the A/C. The Recaros are way better for track/fun but not very comfortable for daily driving or long trips in any of the cars I've been in with them. It all comes down to what the OP is looking. He mentioned doing regular track days so IMO I think the 1LE is worth it. But for me to be honest, I might take it to VIR once or twice while I own it. I drive mine year around so the extras on the 2SS were worth more to me than more track ability I will never use. It's great having choices.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #14
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
The 2-series/M2 had to be one of the uglier cars on the road with its bubble shaped glass house. It's good to see you're thinking of switching over to a pony car.