Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
RealQuick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Need some help with aftermarket driveshaft fitment

I have a 3.5" aluminum driveshaft from the Driveshaft Shop. They provide a 1 pager with torque specs and a dimension for the CV joint portion at the back of the tranny. The spec says dimension should be 3.25"-3.75" (and they state "running it outside this spec will void the warranty"). Mine measured out at 3.13" indicating too long of a driveshaft. This was ordered for a M6 tranny.

Because of the extra length I had to mallet the heck out of the diff side flange of the driveshaft (not on the universal joint). Anyone that has installed an aluminum DS, did your go up by hand (without a mallet)?

I installed it with car on jack stands, wheels hanging. Wheels hanging I would think shouldn't matter since the rear housing is bolted to the chassis. Thoughts on this? I may head back out and load the suspension, but I don't anticipate any change.

I am wondering if I got DS for an auto tranny inadvertently.

Looking ror opinions or wxperience here. I reached out to the vendor I bought the DS thru.

Jon
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #2
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Might not be much help (bec mine is an older model and for a M6 V6) but mine went on by hand after slipping the blue flange on the diff with the "pin" in. No mallet needed but I used my hand to make the end of the DS meet the trans adapter, it measured out to be 3 5/8.

Edit: after rereading your post, try compressing the driveshaft on the sides of the cv joint.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Mine installed easily by hand with the car on jack stands. Call DSS.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.

Last edited by Black_SS10; 01-09-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealQuick View Post
I have a 3.5" aluminum driveshaft from the Driveshaft Shop. They provide a 1 pager with torque specs and a dimension for the CV joint portion at the back of the tranny. The spec says dimension should be 3.25"-3.75" (and they state "running it outside this spec will void the warranty"). Mine measured out at 3.13" indicating too long of a driveshaft. This was ordered for a M6 tranny.

Because of the extra length I had to mallet the heck out of the diff side flange of the driveshaft (not on the universal joint). Anyone that has installed an aluminum DS, did your go up by hand (without a mallet)?

I installed it with car on jack stands, wheels hanging. Wheels hanging I would think shouldn't matter since the rear housing is bolted to the chassis. Thoughts on this? I may head back out and load the suspension, but I don't anticipate any change.

I am wondering if I got DS for an auto tranny inadvertently.

Looking ror opinions or wxperience here. I reached out to the vendor I bought the DS thru.

Jon
I'd call DSS directly -- they have excellent customer service.

I installed their Carbon Fiber version and had no issues. DSS will be able to tell you for certain what you have.

Here is a pic of mine installed and checked:

Install:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=554

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
RealQuick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
I talked to them today. They said on occasion they have DS's that are too long for whatever reason. If I have the right DS then it seems that my car's parts just stacked up too tight from a tolerance analysis respective (meaning that when you look at all the dimensions related to locating the engine, tranny, rearend, thicknesses of flanges, etc that it created a shorter length from tranny output flange to rearend input flange).

Anywhoo... They said that they will mill down the tranny adapter that came with their DDin order to get me into the proper dimensional range.

Thanks for everyone's input.
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Glad to hear that. Like above, they have great CS. Didn't even buy my DSS DS from them directly (but used) and they helped a ton.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #7
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
I had to do the same thing with my DS, I was about 1/16" below the minimum distance, but since we are a machine shop, they said it was OK for me to just machine the trans adapter myself. I just switched to the carbon fiber version, it was the same way, as it is the car itself that causes the problem, as they stated to you.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote