Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #1
Satin Steel ZL1

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (M6)
Upgrade from ZL1 to ZL1 1LE??

I am having a tough time coming to a decision I never thought I'd GET to make. Currently due to the high prices of used cars I can sell or trade in my 19 ZL1 for MORE than what I paid for it 3 years ago. I am debating on ordering a ZL1 1LE. in my opinion paying or financing an extra 10 grand on top of my car to upgrade to a brand new car with a new warranty and get what I really wanted but couldn't afford at the time seems like a good deal to me. However, I have some serious sentimental value as it is the first "cool" car I bought new. Also, I am aware that Camaro production is currently halted due to chip shortages and certain options are not avliable anymore either, with the ZL1 1LE orders being punted to 23' due to carbon fiber shortages. My local dealer already has given me an offer on my car they want to roll it into their inventory and give me a credit so when I can order a ZL1 1LE and when that comes I'd only have to pay around 10 or so grand for the car. I don't really know what to do, if used car prices come back down to reality or a recession hits theres no way in hell id be able to swing a ZL1 1LE. Also, with the Camaro going away in 24' If I saved up enough money in the future I couldn't buy a new one. Looking for some advice or help from people who have a lot more worldly experience than me. Thanks for any advice.

TLDR: I can trade in my ZL1 for a 1LE for a small premium but don't know if I should risk it or just be happy with the car I got 3 years ago.
Satin Steel ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:18 PM   #2
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satin Steel ZL1 View Post
I am having a tough time coming to a decision I never thought I'd GET to make. Currently due to the high prices of used cars I can sell or trade in my 19 ZL1 for MORE than what I paid for it 3 years ago. I am debating on ordering a ZL1 1LE. in my opinion paying or financing an extra 10 grand on top of my car to upgrade to a brand new car with a new warranty and get what I really wanted but couldn't afford at the time seems like a good deal to me. However, I have some serious sentimental value as it is the first "cool" car I bought new. Also, I am aware that Camaro production is currently halted due to chip shortages and certain options are not avliable anymore either, with the ZL1 1LE orders being punted to 23' due to carbon fiber shortages. My local dealer already has given me an offer on my car they want to roll it into their inventory and give me a credit so when I can order a ZL1 1LE and when that comes I'd only have to pay around 10 or so grand for the car. I don't really know what to do, if used car prices come back down to reality or a recession hits theres no way in hell id be able to swing a ZL1 1LE. Also, with the Camaro going away in 24' If I saved up enough money in the future I couldn't buy a new one. Looking for some advice or help from people who have a lot more worldly experience than me. Thanks for any advice.

TLDR: I can trade in my ZL1 for a 1LE for a small premium but don't know if I should risk it or just be happy with the car I got 3 years ago.
If you REALLY want a track focused car, and plan on using it as such, then go for it. Or, if you think it just looks cooler than your ZL1, go for it. Just keep in mind the ride quality will be somewhat harsher.

Just my .02.
DSX Flex fuel/Low side
NW 103mm TB/Roto-Fab CAI
Monster S Series
Elite E2-X
2" TSP LT's
BMR:BK063, BK060,TCA061, UTCA060, UTCA063
Weld Beadlocks/17" NT5R2
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:23 PM   #3
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
if it will be total out of pocket 10k to get into a brand new 23 model zl1 1le, I'd do it. Just be sure your math is correct and you're accurately factoring in ttl and any financing costs.
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #4
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Go for it, you will love the way it rides.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #5
Corbs09

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZLE
They are pretty different cars. I have had a lot of track focused cars, and this is by far the most "racecar" oem car I have driven. I would honestly see if you could drive an older ZLE before you make your decision. I am happy with mine, but I can put up with a lot to have a fun car. I daily a Denali, and my wife always makes a comment about ride quality any time we take the 1le somewhere.
Corbs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:56 PM   #6
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
I wouldn't. Unless you are track focused and need a more complete package for track days, there is NO need to go from a ZL1 to a ZLE.

The ZLE has more downforce and in drag racing or street racing (shame on you), its going to be at a disadvantage. As well as being BONE JARRINGLY more stiff than the ZL1 in track mode.

If you are looking for a complete street with occasional drag or even a track day here and there, the ZL1 is better. For the track rats that will be on road courses more than the street, that's where the ZLE shines. People make the mistake of getting the ZLE because its perceived as being better or a higher model than the normal ZL1. Then regret it as they are shaken(not stirred) to death on the road.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #7
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satin Steel ZL1 View Post

I wouldn't sell my car to the dealership unless it's being traded in. You have a car that they'd love to have in their used car lot, and thus should be able to reach out to their regional sales rep and get you an allocation if your car is that appealing to them. Use it as leverage to make sure they can get your order in. Otherwise, they can just buy your car and then not worry about getting an allocation for you and then you'd be out a Camaro. If they want your car bad enough, they'll find a way to get an allocation for you.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #8
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
You answered in your post

“ upgrade to a brand new car with a new warranty and get what I really wanted but couldn't afford at the time seems like a good deal”

Go for it. I didn’t want to sell my Z/28 but the deal I got was amazing and I will soon own the keeper car that I wanted years ago. As TXCSSU mentioned though, I’d push that dealership to get an allocation. They got connections so I’d play hardball with them.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:37 PM   #9
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
I’ve had both now and for the street I feel like the regular the ZL1 is an upgrade to me. I love the mag ride suspension compared to the 1LE DSSVs. I don’t track anymore though so that’s my perspective. I could handle the ZLE as a DD but family wouldn’t ride in it and it did get very annoying at times.

If you really want it, why not go for it. Do you have the tax incentive on trades in your state? That could be worth thousands not being accounted for the way you are doing it this way.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #10
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
If you REALLY want a track focused car, and plan on using it as such, then go for it. Or, if you think it just looks cooler than your ZL1, go for it. Just keep in mind the ride quality will be somewhat harsher.

Just my .02.
And this pretty much sums it up.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:17 PM   #11
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
I would make sure the dealer can get an allocation. They'll say whatever bullshit they can now to get their hands on your current car, but if they never get a ZLE allocated, you'll be shit outta luck and have to hope you can find another dealer that'll play ball. I'd make sure I had a signed contract that says they will guarantee you either a 2023 ZLE for $x and you're first in line or they'll give you $100k in cash. That pretty much forces them to be confident enough they'll have a ZLE for you at the price you discussed. If they aren't willing to sign that, they'll have no intention of making whole on their promise, they just wanna flip you current ZL1 for a few grand.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:28 PM   #12
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
I prefer the ZLE, and I use it as a daily....and I've owned both. Tbh, the regular ZL1 bored the HELL out of me, and I went back to a Z/28. The ZLE rides more like the Z/28 (a bit rougher though)....to me, there's no replacement for the feel of the road the DSSV gives you.
I don't track my ZLE at all either, and never will. Its pretty much just a grocery getter (when I don't need to get a lot, since the storage/cargo space in these is a bit of a joke).

Former: 2014 Z/28 (red hot); 2017 ZL1 (auto/white); 2015 Z/28 (black); 2016 2SS (auto/hyper blue); 2012 2SS (45th anniversary/auto); 1994 Firehawk (auto/dark green); 2005 GTO (M6/blue on blue); 1999 Camaro SS (M6/pewter); 1994 Z/28 (auto/blue); 1991 Firebird (auto/red); 1988 IROC (auto/copper metallic); 1983 Camaro (auto/blue); 1981 Firebird (auto/maroon/350 Olds swap)....the list goes on...
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:41 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
if you don track its not worth it and please dont buy one and then make a post about how harsh the ride is...
Old 04-21-2022, 05:57 PM   #14
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
I prefer the ZLE, and I use it as a daily....and I've owned both. Tbh, the regular ZL1 bored the HELL out of me, and I went back to a Z/28. The ZLE rides more like the Z/28 (a bit rougher though)....to me, there's no replacement for the feel of the road the DSSV gives you.
I don't track my ZLE at all either, and never will. Its pretty much just a grocery getter (when I don't need to get a lot, since the storage/cargo space in these is a bit of a joke).

I figure the regular ZL1 would be a little less boring than the ZLE with everyone saying how much more planted the ZLE is with the stiffer suspension? I figured with more rubber and a stiffer suspension it would be harder to take the ZLE to its limits as the limits should be higher than a regular ZL1. The ZLE does look more aggressive, and maybe that's why it's less boring. I figured since I don't intend on tracking the car, and taking it to its limits on the street would be a fool's errand, the ZL1 was enough for me, that and the constraints on the 1LE track package across all trims was enough to keep me from the ZLE.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote