Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-12-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
democidist

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 1SS
ZL1 vs ZL1 1LE Consensus

So, I've had a pre-owned 2017 Camaro 1SS for a while. I was thinking about trading it in for either a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE for the final model year (a ways out, I know, but it'll give me time to save up). I take care of my things, and so it would be nice to get a mileage reset as well as not have any quirks off the bat from a previous owner. I do autocross and increasingly track days. It seems like most of what the 1LE package includes is available as optional upgrades, or at the very least, has aftermarket alternative options. The one exception being the magride shocks, for which there is aftermarket support to remove. So my question is, "Is it better from a handling performance perspective to get the ZL1 1LE or a ZL1 and upgrade the suspension and other components? Is a traditional suspension going to outperform the magride setup?" Thanks!
democidist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Get the ZL1 and add ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings and you have most (if not all) of the chassis stability and composure, while retaining a street friendly car that doesn't beat you up.

You can even get the Supercar 3 R tires in stock ZL1 sizes if you so choose.

It's a win/win. The Zl1 1LE is a compromised car that is more track focused at the expense of street driving civility

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
Majority consensus you're about to get is already stated in first response. I’ve had both, and Ill tell you that you’ll never replicate the feel and communication of the ZLE with just cradle bushings. (I did that to my ZL1 too.). But you will get very close in pace with the ZLE rims/tires alone.

If you track frequently, there is no equal to the ZLE. Also, realize that the cost and effort to “convert” a ZL1 to ZLE is significant, and higher than just buying the other car. Also, you’ll come out ahead in resale with a ZLE vs a converted ZL1.

But if you do more than 30% driving on the street, forget everything I said. The ZLE is a horrible street car. It handles expansion joints with the grace of a baby giraffe.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I have a zl1 that I've just started tracking. So far its way better than I will be. I do wonder if a ZLE would have been "better" to get, but since I'm not "there" yet as far as out driving my car, I'm good with what I got. That being said, I will be adding Suspension parts to stiffen it up more. And then we will see what happens.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #5
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
I have a ZLE, never ridden in a non 1le zl1, but did own a 1ss. So far i have replaced just about everything with SPL parts, but even before, this thing rode like a race car. Car is very stiff all around, hugs the road like a snake and you feel everything. If you can live with that then go for it, otherwise you would probably be better with a non 1le.
Like TW said, to replicate the suspension and other components, it will cost more. By the time you change the suspension, you may end up just as stiff as the zle anyways.
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
I have a ZLE, never ridden in a non 1le zl1, but did own a 1ss. So far i have replaced just about everything with SPL parts, but even before, this thing rode like a race car. Car is very stiff all around, hugs the road like a snake and you feel everything. If you can live with that then go for it, otherwise you would probably be better with a non 1le.
Like TW said, to replicate the suspension and other components, it will cost more. By the time you change the suspension, you may end up just as stiff as the zle anyways.
Agree 100% been in both cars as my brother has the ZL1 and a buddy had the ZLE. If you’re more of a track rat than the ZLE is the one to have. If you like road trips, drag strips and the occasional track day than the ZL1 is far better at being an all around great car.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I don't understand why people think the zl1 1le is a horrible street car. I have only had mine on the track once. I have driven 190 miles one way and turned around and came back in the same day. I live in NH where we experience frost heaves and the roads aren't great yet the car does not bother me. The other day the Wife asked if she could have her own car to drive. I said what do you want. Mind you I have a zl1 1le and an ss 1le now she said a blue camaro with an automatic because when we go to shows i don't want to be waiting in line with a manual. I said do you want an ss or a zl1 she said a zl1 I said non 1le for the better ride right she said no I want the zl1 1le the ride is not bad at all
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
ZLE has much lower 6th gear, it's about the same as 5 on the ZL1/SLE, so there's that. One of the nice things about the SS/ZL1 is how it cruises on the highway, ZLE will be stable and handle well, but it'll be much harsher and the revs will be higher. It's nice to cruise at 85 at around 2k rpms, ZL1/SS makes a great GT type car, ZLE not so much.

Mag ride is a compromise on spring vs shock rates in order to offer adjustability, in track there's not enough spring and too much damper to be ideal, this is why some end up getting rid of mag ride.

ZLE rear cradle bushings do result in more NVH but it's not that big of a deal to me... however this is a very personal thing so YMMV.

IMO, similar to what others said... ZLE is a better toy and if you track it a lot the differences are a big deal and you may end up modding your ZL1 pretty close to ZLE, but you'll spend more and have worse resale value... If you're not really serious or competitive then I think the ZL1 is a far better all around car.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #9
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
I don't understand why people think the zl1 1le is a horrible street car. I have only had mine on the track once. I have driven 190 miles one way and turned around and came back in the same day. I live in NH where we experience frost heaves and the roads aren't great yet the car does not bother me. The other day the Wife asked if she could have her own car to drive. I said what do you want. Mind you I have a zl1 1le and an ss 1le now she said a blue camaro with an automatic because when we go to shows i don't want to be waiting in line with a manual. I said do you want an ss or a zl1 she said a zl1 I said non 1le for the better ride right she said no I want the zl1 1le the ride is not bad at all
I agree, personally the ride wouldn't bother me, but it's such a personal assessment.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
u gonna track it or not? if not zl1

i dont get people that buy a zl1 1le aka full oem racecar and not race it or even remove the dssv for bc coilovers or air ride haha
Old 12-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #11
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
IMO the question you need to ask yourself is will you utilize the 1LE for what it is, and I don't even mean by "taking it to the track". I mean, even on the track will you truly be able to utilize the car for what it was built for and get 100% to it's limits? I can't speak for everyone on here but I have a hard time thinking the majority of us on this board are capable of doing that. So if you don't think you'll be able to utilize the track monster for what it is, and still want an amazing car street and track than just go with the regular ZL1 in the spec you want and replace the cradle bushings.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:47 PM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
IMO the question you need to ask yourself is will you utilize the 1LE for what it is, and I don't even mean by "taking it to the track". I mean, even on the track will you truly be able to utilize the car for what it was built for and get 100% to it's limits? I can't speak for everyone on here but I have a hard time thinking the majority of us on this board are capable of doing that. So if you don't think you'll be able to utilize the track monster for what it is, and still want an amazing car street and track than just go with the regular ZL1 in the spec you want and replace the cradle bushings.

Oh yea my buddy had a 1le and sold it to get a zl1 1le and i said can you imagine having extra 200hp big brakes wing aero etc... i said id probably kill myself

2 weeks later he sold his car and got it and he was doing around the same times as his old car lol it was so much power and car that he wasnt even any faster yet becuase of his driving skills
Old 12-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #13
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
It never fails, on every auto board, there's always one or a few people vocally claiming that the stiffest suspension spec of any manufacturer is "not bad off the track" and a "great daily driver". I mean, if these cars are great daily drivers, there's really no limit. Dump truck, oscar-meyer weinermobile, front-end loader, etc. The ZL1 1LE is in the same vein as the Porsche GT3 RS as far as suspension. Even the regular SS 1LE is punishing at times, especially due to the stiff anti-sways, which mean that any bump you go over one one side is transmitted to the other side, as it thinks it's encountering g-forces and that's how anti-sways work. I think claims like above are obvious sugar-coating and not reflective of reality.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 12-14-2021 at 07:05 PM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:52 PM   #14
MightyBobo

Drives: 2022 VOM 2SS 1LE M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
Oh yea my buddy had a 1le and sold it to get a zl1 1le and i said can you imagine having extra 200hp big brakes wing aero etc... i said id probably kill myself

2 weeks later he sold his car and got it and he was doing around the same times as his old car lol it was so much power and car that he wasnt even any faster yet becuase of his driving skills
I've driven my fair share of faster cars, and man, unless you're virtually a pro, it's like bringing a sledgehammer to pound some nails in. I actually found I preferred the SS 1LE over the ZL1 for normal driving, and I'm sure as hell not buying a 75K+ car for the track only. I'll get a Miata for that, or something...

20211120 - 1100 --- 20211207 - 2500
20211208 - 3000 (TPW: was 20220103, now 20220124)
20211220 - 3400 (TPW: 20220110)
20220114 - 3800 --- 20220122 - 4300 (1LE Wrap Shuffle)
20220125 - 4B00 --- 20220129 - 4200 (Shipped! ETA: 20220223)
20220212 - 4800 --- 20220216 - 6000!

2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition on reserve, as well.
MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, magride, suspension