Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-24-2022, 10:13 AM   #57
tommcd24

Drives: 2SS M6 NPP Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Paul View Post
What is the tire rating on the convertible?
They are ZR rated tires OEM and most other available options in that size/spec as well.

Dec. 18: took her home
Dec. 9: arrival at dealer
Nov. 16-29: Toledo, OH (railyard)
Nov. 9: 3800 -> 4300 (for stripes)
Oct. 8: 3400 status TPW 10/25
Oct. 6: 3100 status TPW 10/25
Sept. 9: 3000 status TPW 10/4/2021
Sept. 3: 2000 status (after 5 1/2 months)
Sept. 2: Change Order: 2SS (V6 constraint)
April 12: Reordered as ‘22 3LT RS V6 (March 16:Initial Order ‘21 3LT RS V6)
tommcd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #58
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
What is the tire rating on the convertible?
In the case of the ZL1 Vert, it uses the same OEM GYSC3 tires as the coupe.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:09 PM   #59
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
In the wind tunnel the Convertible becomes unstable at 150 due to the wind resistance on the canvas roof! That's why its limited.

Last edited by Jeb114; 06-27-2022 at 06:56 AM.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:33 PM   #60
Edward Paul

Drives: LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
In the wind tunnel the Covetable becomes unstable at 150 due to the wind resistance on the canvas roof! That's why its limited.
That sounds reasonable. I was wondering why they would put the speed rated rubber on a car that won't go that fast. They might as well put the LT1 tires on it.
Edward Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:13 PM   #61
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Quote:
That sounds reasonable. I was wondering why they would put the speed rated rubber on a car that won't go that fast. They might as well put the LT1 tires on it.
Its more than the rating. Its the size and the look.
But I do agree they should have put PS4s on it.
Makes a lot more sense.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:35 PM   #62
MR's 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
You drive your bike 120 mph but have a problem with people driving 155+? Not sure I follow your reasoning on that.
Hitting 100 takes a couple of seconds while going from 80 to pass a car. hitting 120 is a couple seconds more.
155 takes a good bit longer and the closing rate on unsuspecting likely incompetent drivers is so fast that they are unable to see and register that a car is overtaking them at that rate.
My point is not that its ok to go 100. My point is that the difference in risk to others escalates exponentially.
Somewhere up there I related getting past by an Audi that was going at least 150. I was going 80 and he caught me in a second from as far back as I first noticed his lights. I watched a car in front of me need to move left n front of the audi. He put his blinker on and just at the last second swerved back into the center lane. The Audi could not have slowed enough not to hit the other car. Probably still going 50 or 70 MPH faster than the innocent.
Still. My issue is with the OP complaining that the vert is governed at 155...Obviously not intending to track the car or he would have been looking for a coupe... ZL1 or a 1LE...
That complaint doesnt sound like an experienced driver.
I dont have the heart to tell you Ive gone 100 in a tractor trailer too...
Sorry bro.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:26 AM   #63
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I actually don’t care if he’s doing 120. I’m just pointing out a bit of hypocrisy when one person thinks he has the right to decide that he can break the law because in his judgement it’s safe, but condemns someone else for doing the exact same thing. In for a penny, in for a pound. If you have the right to break the speed limit when you think it’s safe, you have no basis for arbitrarily designating some new higher number as the true ‘safe’ limit.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:54 AM   #64
Edward Paul

120 isn't that fast unless you're on a Harley.
I'll agree on high speeds in traffic is a no no..
I don't have that much trust in others.
When I pegged the 220 speedo on my Ninja it was 03:00 am. Still kinda scary.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:06 AM   #65
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Hitting 100 takes a couple of seconds while going from 80 to pass a car. hitting 120 is a couple seconds more.
155 takes a good bit longer and the closing rate on unsuspecting likely incompetent drivers is so fast that they are unable to see and register that a car is overtaking them at that rate.
My point is not that its ok to go 100. My point is that the difference in risk to others escalates exponentially.
Somewhere up there I related getting past by an Audi that was going at least 150. I was going 80 and he caught me in a second from as far back as I first noticed his lights. I watched a car in front of me need to move left n front of the audi. He put his blinker on and just at the last second swerved back into the center lane. The Audi could not have slowed enough not to hit the other car. Probably still going 50 or 70 MPH faster than the innocent.
Still. My issue is with the OP complaining that the vert is governed at 155...Obviously not intending to track the car or he would have been looking for a coupe... ZL1 or a 1LE...
That complaint doesnt sound like an experienced driver.
I dont have the heart to tell you Ive gone 100 in a tractor trailer too...
Sorry bro.
I can’t agree more. I’d even say that the closing speed can be severely mis- judged by an inexperienced operator of high powered speeding car. To be honest, I was a bit alarmed at how quickly I came up on others, the first time I went full throttle in 400hp+ car, 10 or so years ago.

As a general rule, I don’t pass anyone at a high rate of speed.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #66
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd24 View Post
If we're all honest, anything above 100 for extended periods off-track is asking for trouble... Hitting a pothole with our extreme low-profile tires is going to hurt. Hitting a crack that was overfilled and not properly rolled can "bounce" the car pretty good at normal speeds.
Got me thinking, hitting a sharp bump in the road will definitely be worse at higher speeds, but a pothole? I guess it depends on the length of the pothole, but wouldn't higher speed mean that your tire is passing over the pothole in less time, therefore the tire has less time to drop into it, minimizing the impact on the opposite side?
I remember my worst highway pothole collisions were not at higher speeds, but somewhere between 30 and 50 mph. Or am I just imagining this?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:03 AM   #67
Edward Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Got me thinking, hitting a sharp bump in the road will definitely be worse at higher speeds, but a pothole? I guess it depends on the length of the pothole, but wouldn't higher speed mean that your tire is passing over the pothole in less time, therefore the tire has less time to drop into it, minimizing the impact on the opposite side?
I remember my worst highway pothole collisions were not at higher speeds, but somewhere between 30 and 50 mph. Or am I just imagining this?
Where I live the only roads safe for triple digits are the interstates.
They're maintained by the state and in better shape.
You just need to keep an eye out for debris.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:26 PM   #68
MR's 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I actually don’t care if he’s doing 120. I’m just pointing out a bit of hypocrisy when one person thinks he has the right to decide that he can break the law because in his judgement it’s safe, but condemns someone else for doing the exact same thing. In for a penny, in for a pound. If you have the right to break the speed limit when you think it’s safe, you have no basis for arbitrarily designating some new higher number as the true ‘safe’ limit.
To get back to what I was saying.
I never said my speed was safe. What I said was maybe someone can explain this for me... Because I didnt get why the OP was bummed his vert was governed at 155.
And that I understand the desire to experience speed... as a result of various different speedy opportunities I have engaged in.
On Rt 78 in NJ when the speed phase of the moon is pulling... tri axle dump trucks are going 90. I have been tail gated by a lady on the phone in her SUV at 95. On my bike. As I was passing trucks which were going 90. She was only going 95 because her SUV was governed there and she was holding her foot on the floor.
So to the extent I am comfortable going any speed on NJ highways.. Yes I am very comfortable in the lower triple digit zone.
None of that is safe because if I fall off... I am road pizza.
120 is a bit fast... maybe a bit of exaggeration as I probable dont really exceed... 115 while passing the loaded dump truck and being tail gated by the inattentive lady.
None of which is safe.
But also does not compare with complaining that I couldnt go beyond 155.
Im barely passing the dump truck at 100... at 155 Im closing and passing him by 60 mph or more.
I dont think thats hypocrisy at all.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #69
MR's 2SS

Quote:
120 isn't that fast unless you're on a Harley.
I'll agree on high speeds in traffic is a no no..
I don't have that much trust in others.
When I pegged the 220 speedo on my Ninja it was 03:00 am. Still kinda scary.
Nice dig you got in there!!
But yea... might not be too much fun going 220 on a 990 lb bike with a bat wing fairing....
Stable as a rock through any speed Im likely to run though.
Seems like there ought to be a separate licensing process before you could buy a vehicle that fast.
Bonneville makes you move up in class. They wont let anyone just drive out there and go 200.
Its the same with boats. All you need is the money. You could buy an off shore cat with 3,000 HP that will run 115... and never even rowed a dingy...
A lot can go wrong in a boat... no brakes....
Old 06-26-2022, 12:10 PM   #70
Edward Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Nice dig you got in there!!
But yea... might not be too much fun going 220 on a 990 lb bike with a bat wing fairing....
Stable as a rock through any speed Im likely to run though.
Seems like there ought to be a separate licensing process before you could buy a vehicle that fast.
Bonneville makes you move up in class. They wont let anyone just drive out there and go 200.
Its the same with boats. All you need is the money. You could buy an off shore cat with 3,000 HP that will run 115... and never even rowed a dingy...
A lot can go wrong in a boat... no brakes....
I own a Harley and didn't mean that much by that comment.
There's a reason the speedo only goes to 120.
Mine is an 08 FDXF S&S 117" w/heads done by George Bryce.
It's a little quicker than the average Harley but still no speed demon.
The Ninja was on the streets like this.
The 2000 ZX12R was the unrestricted model. They neutered them in 2001.
I had two stroke triples in the 70's, an 85GPZ900 and 89ZX10 prior to these.
It's a hard habit to quit.
Attached Images