Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Why did you opt for the 1 le package?
I race professionally and needed it 16 20.78%
I love the handling, but will never use the car to its full potential 54 70.13%
Bragging rights 7 9.09%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2022, 07:51 AM   #43
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I first had a C7 Z51, but lost it in a flood, and I couldn't find another one I liked. I was already struggling to decide between the SS 1LE and C7 Z51, so I decided to give the SS 1LE a chance. No regrets.

It's a super capable car on the track. It's essentially my intro into open track days and it drives like a dream. Really rewards your skills.

I got mine for a good deal, too, so that helped.

The problem with 400Z/new Z is that it is still riding on the same old platform as 370Z, so it is more or less just a Infiniti Q60S in a different shell. 370Z chassis also isn't the greatest when it comes to tracking. That's "we will milk the sh*t outta everything" Nissan for ya.

Now that Zupr4 has a manual option, that really makes the "at least Z has a manual" argument obsolete.

I think it has less to do with scale of economy here, seeing that Alpha chassis cars aren't exactly hot cakes, and more to do with the fact that JDM as a whole just isn't that competitive anymore. The small and light formula always has its audience, but as far as challenging the Germans and even Americans go like they did in the 80s and 90s, they have been done after the Bubble Economy bursted. They retreated into making econo cars, which they are good at, but the only Japanese cars that are in production now that can compete with the Camaro are either a lot pricier(GT-R, and maybe the NSX can match a ZL1 on a track?), or like 80% German.
That's true about the 2023 Z being built on a revised version of the 370Z chassis. Nissan couldn't afford to develop and build a new chassis for the Z and still keep the price competitive for such a low volume car. And I'm sure Nissan's recent financial woes didn't help either.

The Zupra on the other hand benefits from the partnership between BMW and Toyota and BMW engineering. If it wasn't for BMW there would likely be no Zupra.

The JDM market may also impact the ability of Nissan to produce a new Z. However, I think the economy of scale issue is a big part of why GM can build the Camaro for less money than Nissan can build the new Z. First, GM is a much larger company. Second, the Alpha platform has been around since at least 2016 and underpins more than just the Camaro. GM has long since recouped its R&D and tooling costs on the Alpha platform. Third, the Camaro has benefited from the trickle down of technology and parts from Corvette and Cadillac, which saved GM additional R&D and tooling costs and ultimately helps pay for the development of those things for Corvette and Cadillac. For example, our 1LEs have MRC, NPP, ELSD, heads up display and PTM. All of these were orignially developed for and available on the Corvette.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #44
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
That's true about the 2023 Z being built on a revised version of the 370Z chassis. Nissan couldn't afford to develop and build a new chassis for the Z and still keep the price competitive for such a low volume car. And I'm sure Nissan's recent financial woes didn't help either.

The Zupra on the other hand benefits from the partnership between BMW and Toyota and BMW engineering. If it wasn't for BMW there would likely be no Zupra.

The JDM market may also impact the ability of Nissan to produce a new Z. However, I think the economy of scale issue is a big part of why GM can build the Camaro for less money than Nissan can build the new Z. First, GM is a much larger company. Second, the Alpha platform has been around since at least 2016 and underpins more than just the Camaro. GM has long since recouped its R&D and tooling costs on the Alpha platform. Third, the Camaro has benefited from the trickle down of technology and parts from Corvette and Cadillac, which saved GM additional R&D and tooling costs and ultimately helps pay for the development of those things for Corvette and Cadillac. For example, our 1LEs have MRC, NPP, ELSD, heads up display and PTM. All of these were orignially developed for and available on the Corvette.
2012 actually! First car on the alpha platform was the 2013 ATS
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #45
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
2012 actually! First car on the alpha platform was the 2013 ATS
Well that's even longer then. And further reinforces my point about economy of scale.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote