#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-08-2022, 10:08 AM   #29
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I rode in a friends GT500 and was not impressed. The suspension didn’t feel as tight as the ZL1 and it made all kinds of noises (creaks and groans) as we went over uneven ground. Interior felt cheap. Was not impressed with the car. The only thing I liked about the car was the amount of power it comes with stock.
No he's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Interesting because I know several people that own GT500's and I've never heard any of those complaints. Some don't like the DCT trans though, but that's a personal preference, same as some don't like it in the C8 either. You're certainly in the minority.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:18 AM   #30
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The 6th gen mustangs all suffer greatly from what is the one of the greatest assets of the 6th gen Camaro: Chassis stiffness.

Ford wrote checks they couldn't cash with the 550. All that visibility, interior/trunk room, and pretty greenhouse has to be given back somewhere.

I'm very glad that Al O and company did not make that compromise. At all.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:36 AM   #31
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
No he's not.
So there's two of you. OK.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #32
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The 6th gen mustangs all suffer greatly from what is the one of the greatest assets of the 6th gen Camaro: Chassis stiffness.

Ford wrote checks they couldn't cash with the 550. All that visibility, interior/trunk room, and pretty greenhouse has to be given back somewhere.

I'm very glad that Al O and company did not make that compromise. At all.
Not too mention Furds quality control, interior that is subpar for a 100K car. My neighbor has one, 3 days after driving it, "low oil pressure" light came on, went into limp mode. 3 months later (last week in fact) slight drip coming from rear bellhousing on the DCT.....new transmission ordered.....While my ZL1 sits wonderfully in my garage being driven to it's hearts content, and without the huge payment he's sitting on while it sits at Furd waiting for a new transmission, they can't even give him a date as to when he'll get his car back so he's ultimately paying a monthly payment for something he can't drive.....you can keep your Furds....and his story echos (if you frequent the GT500 forums) other stories from 500 owners.....and to answer Z OH 6 above ^^ drive one, drive in one, their MEH at best.....
Old 06-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #33
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Interesting because I know several people that own GT500's and I've never heard any of those complaints. Some don't like the DCT trans though, but that's a personal preference, same as some don't like it in the C8 either. You're certainly in the minority.
My buddy agreed and said the ZL1 felt “more solid” to him also. So I guess there’s at least three of us, (including an actual owner) LOL.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #34
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
The ZL1-1LE chassis is world class. It is sorted!

If the Camaro and the Corvette were just 300-400lbs lighter they might have been damn near perfect.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:41 PM   #35
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
The ZL1-1LE chassis is world class. It is sorted!

If the Camaro and the Corvette were just 300-400lbs lighter they might have been damn near perfect.
You can make them that way, rear seat delete is a good start....
Old 06-09-2022, 03:43 PM   #36
Phil zl1

Drives: 2022 zl1
The gt500 is a great car. Just too much money for this segment.
Phil zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:30 PM   #37
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
My buddy agreed and said the ZL1 felt “more solid” to him also. So I guess there’s at least three of us, (including an actual owner) LOL.
I personally know at least a half dozen owners that disagree with you but then again its the internet, we can make up as many owners opinions as we like. Ford isn't having ANY trouble selling them at a premium price so apparently they aren't too bad and build quality isn't the issue that you make it out to be. If it was a shitty car, people wouldn't buy them at $20-30K above MSRP. I didn't see any real issues with the car the time I spent in it other than I'm not a fan of Ford's interior styling.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #38
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I personally know at least a half dozen owners that disagree with you but then again its the internet, we can make up as many owners opinions as we like. Ford isn't having ANY trouble selling them at a premium price so apparently they aren't too bad and build quality isn't the issue that you make it out to be. If it was a shitty car, people wouldn't buy them at $20-30K above MSRP. I didn't see any real issues with the car the time I spent in it other than I'm not a fan of Ford's interior styling.
Honestly the reason why their selling so good is because it's the first GT500 since 2014.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:59 PM   #39
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Feel free to make up anything you want. I don’t need to make anything up. Just because an opinion isn’t the the same as yours doesn’t make it wrong.

The fact that you yourself admitted that you are not a fan of the interior styling shows that others having the same opinion is likely.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:12 PM   #40
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
Just saw this a few minutes ago on there website, ford is studying the ZL1 for the next mustang, the ZL1 won a lot of reviews against the GT500, chevy you got the car right, we just needed a 2650 blower. June 5th article under ZL1 section.
Every car company does this. I worked my last 10 years at GM in Competitor Intelligence. That’s how I got to drive Shelby Mustangs, Porsche 911s, a slew of BMWs, Teslas, etc, etc. I didn’t get to drive either of the Ferrari 458s that were purchased during C8 development. I did get to get my hands dirty on the engine teardown for one of them, though.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #41
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Every car company does this. I worked my last 10 years at GM in Competitor Intelligence. That’s how I got to drive Shelby Mustangs, Porsche 911s, a slew of BMWs, Teslas, etc, etc. I didn’t get to drive either of the Ferrari 458s that were purchased during C8 development. I did get to get my hands dirty on the engine teardown for one of them, though.
That's awesome , what a job to have, testing different models.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:14 PM   #42
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I remember reading an article about BMW and MB secretly sending employees to buy each others cars. Eventually they recognized the ridiculousness of it and ended up just giving each other cars to check out. Wish I could find the link, was a really good article about this type of thing.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote