Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-05-2022, 03:07 PM   #15
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Different customers. Some people want 4 seats, some are okay with two. Most of those that want a Vette, wouldn't consider a Camaro. No matter what it had in it. The LT5 in the ZL1 would have put the ZL1 with, if not ahead of the GT500 and Redeye as far as acceleration goes. Unfortunately, it's not gonna happen.

But GM still has a history of protecting the Corvette name. Hell, the GNX from the 80s was rated at lower HP than a Corvette from the same year, even though it was a well known fact that the GNX was sandbagging its HP numbers to keep the "status quo". It's a shame that GM is more concerned with its shareholders these days and not its customers, as I'd love to see more GNX, GTOs and other specialty vehicles produced. Granted, that seems to be the case for a lot of companies these days. I always kept hoping that GM was going to let Buick create a newer version of the GNX as a way of justifying keeping Buick around.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:22 PM   #16
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Has carbon build up on the intake valves been a problem for anyone with the LT4? Haven't heard any complaints about it and it's been around a while now.
I think you know the answer to that - how many owners get their valves scoped? Basically none. It's a problem if you don't run a cc
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:34 PM   #17
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
But GM still has a history of protecting the Corvette name. Hell, the GNX from the 80s was rated at lower HP than a Corvette from the same year, even though it was a well known fact that the GNX was sandbagging its HP numbers to keep the "status quo". It's a shame that GM is more concerned with its shareholders these days and not its customers, as I'd love to see more GNX, GTOs and other specialty vehicles produced. Granted, that seems to be the case for a lot of companies these days. I always kept hoping that GM was going to let Buick create a newer version of the GNX as a way of justifying keeping Buick around.
It's a shitty balance, but unfortunately I feel like they're leaning too far on the shareholders end. Sure their decisions improve short term sales, but if they keep sacrificing their halo models, at some point GM will start going down the path of Mitsubishi. As much as I don't get it, the fact is people buy Blazers, Cruzes, and other shit that makes GM money because it shares a manufacturer as the Camaro/Corvette.

Just like how just by existing the Audi R8 sells tarted up VW GTIs via the Audi A3.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #18
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
It's a shitty balance, but unfortunately I feel like they're leaning too far on the shareholders end. Sure their decisions improve short term sales, but if they keep sacrificing their halo models, at some point GM will start going down the path of Mitsubishi. As much as I don't get it, the fact is people buy Blazers, Cruzes, and other shit that makes GM money because it shares a manufacturer as the Camaro/Corvette.

Just like how just by existing the Audi R8 sells tarted up VW GTIs via the Audi A3.
Why not just learn from dodge and put that most powerful engine you have in literally everything. It’s a simple formula that works and sells. I’d get a Vette, but I’d like to be able to go places with my wife and son, so the Vette isn’t an option for me. It would be nice to have options
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:44 PM   #19
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Why not just learn from dodge and put that most powerful engine you have in literally everything. It’s a simple formula that works and sells. I’d get a Vette, but I’d like to be able to go places with my wife and son, so the Vette isn’t an option for me. It would be nice to have options
Right, I'm the same. If it were just me and my wife a Vette could work but I have two boys he like cars and go with me to car shows and cars and coffee so I need 4 seats.

It's not an either-or situation. There are people if the Vette and Camaro put down the same number, same engine would buy either one depending on their needs.

In my none-corporate mind, one wouldn't steal sales from the other. Being as I have children that like to do stuff with me a Vette never came across my mind so me buying a Camaro didn't steal a sale from the Vette.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:57 PM   #20
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
You literally just described every company these days...
Old 05-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #21
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Most notable difference I think is the LT5 uses port injection and direct injection, the LT4 uses only direct injection.

Has carbon build up on the intake valves been a problem for anyone with the LT4? Haven't heard any complaints about it and it's been around a while now.

Different customers. Some people want 4 seats, some are okay with two. Most of those that want a Vette, wouldn't consider a Camaro. No matter what it had in it. The LT5 in the ZL1 would have put the ZL1 with, if not ahead of the GT500 and Redeye as far as acceleration goes. Unfortunately, it's not gonna happen.

I have somewhat of an answer to the carbon build up question. Here is a pic of my heads and vlv's disassembled for my build after 10 K mi. Builder said everything looked really good. Cleaned them all up like new and are now running in my build. No CC during that time.
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:14 PM   #22
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
I have somewhat of an answer to the carbon build up question. Here is a pic of my heads and vlv's disassembled for my build after 10 K mi. Builder said everything looked really good. Cleaned them all up like new and are now running in my build. No CC during that time.
Nice, did you have a catch can?
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #23
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
What's not to get? GM doesn't want to have their most expensive Corvette outperformed by the Camaro. Would you buy the most expensive Corvette if you knew the most expensive Camaro beats it around the track?

IMO, that doesnt really pan out because vette people buy vettes and camaro people buy camaros for the most part. Sure, there's a bit of crossover but not in a way that makes vette owners camaro owners in droves.

They didnt really build many 2019 ZR1's and they could have made a limited amount of LT5 camaros. Its not without precedent. Under 1000 LT5 ZL1's wouldnt have made much if any impact on corvette sales. In fact, it would have pushed me to buy a new camaro instead of keeping what I have.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:00 PM   #24
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
IMO, that doesnt really pan out because vette people buy vettes and camaro people buy camaros for the most part. Sure, there's a bit of crossover but not in a way that makes vette owners camaro owners in droves.

They didnt really build many 2019 ZR1's and they could have made a limited amount of LT5 camaros. Its not without precedent. Under 1000 LT5 ZL1's wouldnt have made much if any impact on corvette sales. In fact, it would have pushed me to buy a new camaro instead of keeping what I have.
I have owned multiple Vettes. I went ZL1 instead this time because there are just too many Vettes everywhere I look. I like having cars that have at least a little bit of uniqueness. I hardly ever see ZL1s on the road.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:35 PM   #25
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Nice, did you have a catch can?
No, he did not.

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #26
Camaroking98

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I have owned multiple Vettes. I went ZL1 instead this time because there are just too many Vettes everywhere I look. I like having cars that have at least a little bit of uniqueness. I hardly ever see ZL1s on the road.
Facts, I think I'm the only one in my town lol.

According to car gurus, there's only 33 others out there for sale in my exact spec & color.

I like that uniqueness.
Camaroking98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:38 PM   #27
ZO6Ted
Old badass

Drives: 14GMC 2.9 16GMC Turbos 2020Silv.6.2
I could swear it was the same longblock or at least rotating assembly? I would like to see the differences if someone has part #s please.

Current build in progress 2016 GMC4x4 RCSB twin hair dryers ~1k whp fbe port inj 1/8 mi & stealth street terror
ZO6Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:40 PM   #28
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
6th gen ZL1s are almost nonexistent in my neck of the woods, I know a few local owners are here on the forums, but I have yet to see a single 6th gen ZL1 myself.

In fact, the 6th gen SS is also pretty rare, I have seen very few of those. 5th gens are way more common, but are dwarfed by the literal sea of Mustangs and Challengers.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lt4, lt5, lt5 vs lt4, zl1, zr1