Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-01-2022, 10:03 PM   #57
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Frankly, I am baffled as to why anyone is criticizing this guy. He isn't selling anything, he tested two catch cans against each other, arrived at a specific result and wanted to share it. He already said he wasn't endorsing either product in the test. Where is the problem?

The first few comments predicted that Elite Engineering would jump into the thread with their sales pitch (justified or not, that is a completely different topic), and somehow this has turned into a bashing of OP who has done nothing wrong, in fact he did a time-consuming test and shared the results on his channel (that has only 6K subscribers, so he's hardly likely to fish for more subscriptions with such a niche of the niche video...) Again, where is the problem, in what way did he mess up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
I'm not affiliated with either company, and received no compensation from the company. I did purchase both catch cans, and was surprised at the results. I did contemplate for quite a while about even posting it, as I don't want to make anyone look bad, but the results are what they are.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #58
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Frankly, I am baffled as to why anyone is criticizing this guy. He isn't selling anything, he tested two catch cans against each other, arrived at a specific result and wanted to share it. He already said he wasn't endorsing either product in the test. Where is the problem?

The first few comments predicted that Elite Engineering would jump into the thread with their sales pitch (justified or not, that is a completely different topic), and somehow this has turned into a bashing of OP who has done nothing wrong, in fact he did a time-consuming test and shared the results on his channel (that has only 6K subscribers, so he's hardly likely to fish for more subscriptions with such a niche of the niche video...) Again, where is the problem, in what way did he mess up?
I don't take this as being aimed at me. But I do want to clarify that I am not bashing him...in case someone takes it that way. I just have a real bad dislike towards the way these YTers title their videos. When I first saw this one it rubbed me the wrong way because that is what I thought he was doing or trying to do. But like I said, if anything it is a new brand bringing a product to market for those who might be interested. I do not think any of these companies can claim their product is the best, I think it is all just a matter of preference. I have no intentions of buying any of them, lol!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:28 PM   #59
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Plus arpad, we all have seen that catch cans, oil brands, EVs...all are high traffic topics that bring in some very opinionated conversations. This thread was going to head this way eventually.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:31 PM   #60
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
No science behind it? Respectable shops use what works best. I say that speaks for itself.
Not really...

A shop may get a discount, or simply run what they are comfortable with, but that's isn't scientific proof - the video presented here is

For modded, high flow cars the Ultra can is needed, this guy made it fit https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596538

Venting *is* retarded because it defeats the whole purpose of the can, why not just blow oily vapor all over your engine bay then? When venting occurs velocity through the separator will be too high and less oil will drop out and be collected. Look up separator design sometime and see if venting is mentioned. It's hack/band aid engineering

I've run catch cans on many vehicles. For the vapor flow rate this engine moves, all of these cans (except the Ultra) are likely marginal - all run restrictors
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #61
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
If catch cans are soo important, how come I don't have one on any of my cars and they're all running fine?
Your car may "run fine", but over time (in the case of a DI engine at least) valve coking will absolutely occur and begin to rob power. It starts happening as soon as you drive the car off the lot and get into boost
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:37 PM   #62
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
First, thanks to all who see that I was impartial with my video. I really didn't want to make any waves. I've been a member here for over 10 years now.

I do see how the title "did we just find the best catch can" can be very catchy, but it in no way implies which is the best catch can. Everyone jumped to conclusions. I could have labelled it as Elite vs MM vs Apex I guess. I should have put in the title somewhere that it was a STOCK LT4 running the test as the modified guys seemed to be quite vocal, and their results would have been different.

Quote:
You keep saying that when the main criticizer has repeatedly mentioned that he didn't like the way you titled and presented the topic. Others have said the same thing. You keep ignoring it and trying to push that somebody was upset at the results. Nobody is upset at the results. Apparently the product you are pushing works. That is cool. However it is not the best like your title states. And you presented it in a manner that most of us dislike. Now maybe you are unaware of this which is why I informed you. I sincerely hope that you and others listen and stop trying to post sensational headlines. Because when you post that, even if you aren't looking for YT bucks or whatever, that is what it comes across as.
I never said it was the best at any time, and my title does not say any catch can is the best, I left it to the person to make up their own mind. I don't know where everyone is getting this. I never said anything about presentation, not sure where you got that. I'm sorry if anyone took it as that. I do think some were upset with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
"your video just doesn't really represent the truth either. I'm quite happy with the Mighty Mouse as well and everyone else that runs one."
Not sure how you read that, but I took it as ZOH6 was not happy with the results as he called out the integrity of the video.

Quote:
Exactly. Maybe your headline was innocent. I will give you that much.
Thank you for that, I do appreciate that. No malicious intent by me.

Quote:
You have a product that you are showcasing. There is some potential benefit to you. Judging by your comments, I'd be a fool if I believed that you weren't in some way affiliated with them or had absolutely nothing to gain. Nobody with even a small following promotes a product for free.
Then you don't know me, I'm not promoting or showcasing any new product, so what is the benefit to me? Both products have been on the market for a while, the APEX is quite old, and I purchased all 3 cans. If the MM did better you would be accusing me of having a partnership with MM. If the Apex did the best I guess you would say I had a partnership with them. I just reported my results for three (3) catch cans on a stock LT4. I don't see a problem with that. Not everyone is motivated by money. The ironic thing is I never recommended any can, just showed the results on a stock LT4, and then others began rationalizing their choices.

Quote:
But all that aside. A new product is coming to the counter in an already saturated market. And there are some pretty big well established names that already have a good following that you have to compete with. So at best, it is just another product that works slightly different than the others but still does the same job. It isn't the best because like I said, other companies are already well established. At best it's just another option to select.
To clarify, this is not a new product at all, and has been out for quite sometime.

You seem pretty level headed and I think some people for whatever reason got their backs up. I can't figure that out as I was just providing information. This was a simple comparison of a few popular catch cans on a stock engine, that was all.

arpad_m is 100% correct with his comment that I will not get many subscribers or views from this video as it is very niche. There is no money in it for me for this video. I did it because I enjoy it, and just wanted to share what I learned.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:30 AM   #63
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Your car may "run fine", but over time (in the case of a DI engine at least) valve coking will absolutely occur and begin to rob power. It starts happening as soon as you drive the car off the lot and get into boost
Show me one test NOT done by a catch can company that proves this and that proves that a catch can will prevent this.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:35 AM   #64
Daman98

Drives: 2022 ZL1 - Vivid Orange
My Head Hurts - Maybe I should vent to the Atmosphere

I just purchased a new ZL1. Well, ordered, I don't even have it yet. But I had a Speed Logix catch can on my boosted Challenger, so I figured I would put one on my ZL1. Was happy when I saw the thread, hoping to get some good info. After reading the thread, not sure it it was about catch cans, U'tubers, shop endorsements....or just good ol' (non-PC) bashing.

...and here I though Forums were a collaboration to facilitate exchange of ideas. Silly me.
Daman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:53 AM   #65
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman98 View Post
I just purchased a new ZL1. Well, ordered, I don't even have it yet. But I had a Speed Logix catch can on my boosted Challenger, so I figured I would put one on my ZL1. Was happy when I saw the thread, hoping to get some good info. After reading the thread, not sure it it was about catch cans, U'tubers, shop endorsements....or just good ol' (non-PC) bashing.

...and here I though Forums were a collaboration to facilitate exchange of ideas. Silly me.
You were on the right track to install one. Get whichever one you like.

I just pulled my blower (no catch can) with about 5500 miles on the car and I had oil pooling in the low spots under the supercharger lid. The oem configuration does not work. I went with the Elite E2-X.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:24 AM   #66
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman98 View Post

Welcome to the dysfunctional Camaro family. There are some good threads on here but every now and then things get rowdy. You should see the electric vehicle threads.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #67
Daman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
You were on the right track to install one. Get whichever one you like.

I just pulled my blower (no catch can) with about 5500 miles on the car and I had oil pooling in the low spots under the supercharger lid. The oem configuration does not work. I went with the Elite E2-X.
Thanks for the info, good to know. I will continue my research. Cheers!
Old 05-02-2022, 09:16 AM   #68
Daman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Welcome to the dysfunctional Camaro family. There are some good threads on here but every now and then things get rowdy. You should see the electric vehicle threads.
Thank you for the welcome! It's all good. I know there are some very sharp folks in here with much knowledge. Looking forward to the (new to me) platform.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:33 AM   #69
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Not really...

A shop may get a discount, or simply run what they are comfortable with, but that's isn't scientific proof - the video presented here is

For modded, high flow cars the Ultra can is needed, this guy made it fit https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596538

Venting *is* retarded because it defeats the whole purpose of the can, why not just blow oily vapor all over your engine bay then? When venting occurs velocity through the separator will be too high and less oil will drop out and be collected. Look up separator design sometime and see if venting is mentioned. It's hack/band aid engineering

I've run catch cans on many vehicles. For the vapor flow rate this engine moves, all of these cans (except the Ultra) are likely marginal - all run restrictors
This is not the way a vented catch can works. The vent is just like a crankcase breather. When excess pressure builds in the crankcase, it has to go somewhere, the crank front main seal can potentially blow out under high boost applications, so the breather helps prevent this. On a stock vehicle, it may not be needed but when you start raising the boost, a breather should be a necessity. The MM catch can doesn't vent all the time, the one way check valve prevents that. It only vents when there's any excess crankcase pressure. The filter stops any oil residue from escaping only allowing the excess air to vent. its a very smart design which incorporates two valuable pieces of equipment in in one.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:09 AM   #70
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
This is not the way a vented catch can works. The vent is just like a crankcase breather. When excess pressure builds in the crankcase, it has to go somewhere, the crank front main seal can potentially blow out under high boost applications, so the breather helps prevent this. On a stock vehicle, it may not be needed but when you start raising the boost, a breather should be a necessity. The MM catch can doesn't vent all the time, the one way check valve prevents that. It only vents when there's any excess crankcase pressure. The filter stops any oil residue from escaping only allowing the excess air to vent. its a very smart design which incorporates two valuable pieces of equipment in in one.

Tags
catch can, elite engineering catch can, mightymouse