Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 04-28-2022, 11:32 PM   #1
HP Hog

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 (stock)
Sport Competitive Mode Keeps Stability Control On?

Hi there. I'm going to the drag strip tomorrow and I'm a bit confused about what some of the different modes do. When people say "Sport Competitive mode" works best for the strip they are referring to putting the drive mode into "sport" and then double tapping the traction control button, correct? What I don't get is that when I do that it shows both lights indicating that traction control and stability control are both OFF. However, people in the forums are saying that sport competitive mode leaves stability control on? What am I missing? Is stability control really still on and the light is just wrong? Why not just put it in sport mode and press the traction control button once to turn off traction control and leave stability control on? Thanks!

P.S. Just trying to find an happy medium between getting a good launch and not putting the car into the wall...
HP Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:39 PM   #2
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
It all depends on what tire you are running and how the track is.

If you are on a sticky tire and the track is hooking, put it in track mode and hold down the TC button to turn everything off. This is all you and traction. No nannies. So be careful.

If you are on stock tires, put it in track and double tap the TC button and go down to race. Thats NO TC but you will keep some oh shit my shits getting sideways control. Then you can engage launch control in this mode and play with what gets you off the line fastest.

The rest of the PTM modes like dry, sport1/2 and wet are for roadcourses. Or you can just do simple sport mode and see if that hooks. The Comp mode that you can get in sport mode by double tapping the TC button again is to let you get a tad tail happy but it will still step in if you fukkup.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:41 PM   #3
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Heres a chart to further confuse you.
Attached Images

SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:16 AM   #4
HP Hog

Thanks! This is very useful.

Interesting that there's really only two different types of stability control, "On" and "competitive". That's what I gather from the red table on the left anyway.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:30 AM   #5
HP Hog

Also, best I can tell Competitive mode (in sport mode and then press TC twice) is exactly the same as track mode and pressing TC once?
Old 04-29-2022, 07:04 PM   #6
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Yes, 2 taps on the traction control button when in sport mode will show on the screen competitive mode. Competitive mode gives you a less aggressive ESC or stability control, its not full on, not full off but in the middle.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 12:41 AM   #7
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i noticed my car would bobble on hard shifts with the tcs double tap approach. the stabilitrak light would flash, as well.

if i hold the button down for several seconds, it will not. this was on a mt dr.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:46 AM   #8
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i noticed my car would bobble on hard shifts with the tcs double tap approach. the stabilitrak light would flash, as well.

if i hold the button down for several seconds, it will not. this was on a mt dr.
The bobble and no bobble doesnt make sense. The tap and hold shuts off ESC or stabilitrac and should make the bobble more noticeable versus not happening or not feeling a bobble at all. In which setting does the car ET quicker? Does the double tap (competitive mode) allow for a harder manual shift causing the bobble?
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:32 AM   #9
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
What is difference in throttle mapping track vs normal ? and difference in eDiff modes ?

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:50 PM   #10
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The bobble and no bobble doesnt make sense. The tap and hold shuts off ESC or stabilitrac and should make the bobble more noticeable versus not happening or not feeling a bobble at all. In which setting does the car ET quicker? Does the double tap (competitive mode) allow for a harder manual shift causing the bobble?
no idea on et. i was goofing around on the street when i noticed this stuff. i think the hard shifts were tripping stabilitrak and it was cutting power. with everything off it felt normal.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:53 PM   #11
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
What is difference in throttle mapping track vs normal ? and difference in eDiff modes ?
best i could tell is the track mode throttle mapping was linear, like a cable. sport mode felt pedal commander-ish. edif stuff idk, the car launches and 60s and hooks almost identical regardless of mode.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:51 AM   #12
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
It all depends on what tire you are running and how the track is.

If you are on a sticky tire and the track is hooking, put it in track mode and hold down the TC button to turn everything off. This is all you and traction. No nannies. So be careful.

If you are on stock tires, put it in track and double tap the TC button and go down to race. Thats NO TC but you will keep some oh shit my shits getting sideways control. Then you can engage launch control in this mode and play with what gets you off the line fastest.

The rest of the PTM modes like dry, sport1/2 and wet are for roadcourses. Or you can just do simple sport mode and see if that hooks. The Comp mode that you can get in sport mode by double tapping the TC button again is to let you get a tad tail happy but it will still step in if you fukkup.
Good info here. I will try this once I get my summer tires back on. How are the Stock ZL1 tires at the drag strip?

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote