Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-24-2022, 10:33 PM   #1
KaMaRow

Drives: 2022 ZL1
IM confused about break in period.

OK so I just got my new ZL1. Ive been lurking about the forums some time waiting on it to come in. Everyone always saying 500 break in 500 for first oil change. Reading the manual there is no mention of any of this. at least not those numbers. for the 2022 Zl1 page 199 it says not to take the engine over 4000 rpm for the first 1500 miles not first 500. It also no where i can find at least says anything about doing the first oil change at 500. It also says that some systems including electrical and transmission wont be fully broke in till 4000 miles!!!! yikes some people don't even keep the car that long.

So has stuff changed for the year 2022? Because i can find track prep guides and manuals for older models 18,19 that do say oil change at 500 and 4000 rpm till 500. but nothing newer. I know the corvettes were also 500 miles oil change but with the newer ones I was told don't change my oil till the 7500 for first time that changing it out at 500 is outdated. Is this also true for the 2022 ZL1? and seriously 1500 miles till can go over 4000 rpm? wow ill use 1200 in gas before I can actually use the car LOL

Has any one seen a 2022 track prep guide like the older cars had? Anything on official GM paper work that says 500 mile oil change on a 2022 model?

Dealer says it is no longer necessary but seems many disagree IM guessing because that is just what they are use to doing? so just curious as I cant find anything on the 2022 model just older ones so if anyone knows of any actual GM paper that says needs a 500 oil change and only 500 mile break in before going over 4k rpm because if I have to wait till 1500 ( i am religious break in period person) Im gonna go insane LOL

Seems most the replies to these questions Ive seen is using 3 plus year old info that I dont feel is current for newer models.
KaMaRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:52 PM   #2
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
I think many people change at 500 because new engines shed the most metal very early in the break in period but that wasnt in my manual or at least I didnt see it.

Personally, I changed just the oil filter in my 2020 ZLE at 500 miles, then the oil and filter at 1500 miles. I never go under about 50% life on my oil changes ever since the first oil change.

I also changed the differential oil at 1000. The diff oil was very dark with lots of metalic in it. I changed it again after another few thousand miles and a day at the track.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:58 PM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The 500 mile oil change is part of the Chevy Performance LT4 crate engine break in procedure, which is all about setting the rings.

Start at step 6. Steps 1-5 were done for you at the factory. Skip the oil change in step 10, but do it at step 12 (500 miles).

Once you are done with this procedure, you can follow the manual if you want to through 1500 miles, but the part of break-in that really matters will already be done. If you plan to take it to the track at/after 1500 miles, follow the track prep procedure.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:17 PM   #4
KaMaRow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The 500 mile oil change is part of the Chevy Performance LT4 crate engine break in procedure, which is all about setting the rings.

Start at step 6. Steps 1-5 were done for you at the factory. Skip the oil change in step 10, but do it at step 12 (500 miles).

Once you are done with this procedure, you can follow the manual if you want to through 1500 miles, but the part of break-in that really matters will already be done. If you plan to take it to the track at/after 1500 miles, follow the track prep procedure.
Thank you for this but I have seen this. it is rather old. That engine has been around since 2014. Chevy stopped saying anything about 500 mile break in oil changes in 2019, for cars not crate engines, as far as I can tell and this sheet is not dated. A crate engine i would guess is a different story then one broke in at the factory by Chevy themselves ( ive been told they dyno the cars right off the line?) and why a specific set of instructions would accompany a crate engine. if it was required of a consumer off the line fully built car I would figure it would be in the manual but since they warranty the engine for 5 years and make no mention of it.. is it important in a non crate engine?

Not arguing and I appreciate the info just explaining my thought process is all. I would just feel better seeing something actually dated for a 2022 ZL1 that is current info and not just what people have always done. I mean ya know because stuff changes IM actually more concerned if I have to wait till 1500 miles before i can go over 4000 rpm. Im gonna die waiting LOL

But I guessing the total lack of any literature that specifically states the 20,21 or 22 ZL1 needs oil changed at 500 would indicate it is no longer a needed thing. Sorta like the corvette no longer needs a 500 mile oil change its first change isn't until 7500 and my local Chevy dealer actually told me they would not change the oil in my C8 at 500 because it is totally un necessary now and a waste of expensive oil. Im guessing the same is true for the 2022 ZL1?
Old 03-24-2022, 11:22 PM   #5
KaMaRow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
I think many people change at 500 because new engines shed the most metal very early in the break in period but that wasnt in my manual or at least I didnt see it.

Personally, I changed just the oil filter in my 2020 ZLE at 500 miles, then the oil and filter at 1500 miles. I never go under about 50% life on my oil changes ever since the first oil change.

I also changed the differential oil at 1000. The diff oil was very dark with lots of metalic in it. I changed it again after another few thousand miles and a day at the track.
Do you think people are just stuck doing what they always have? IM getting to be an old timer myself and I remember it was every 3000 miles then 4000 then it got to be 6000 and now most cars are 7500 miles. My civic i had was 10000 miles for oil changes. I think its hard to let go of what we have always done? I mean these companies invest millions to research and warranty the stuff I know they don't want to repair anything so why would their recommendations be wrong? Even so once my oil gets to 3k I start getting anxiety and the overwhelming need to go change it LOL. but hell with the ZL1 using 2.5 gallons of oil and the oil change pushing well over 100 bucks Im a little less inclined to change it so much.

do you feel the diff oil is necessary? or was just a personal preference?
Old 03-24-2022, 11:37 PM   #6
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post

I thought I read in another thread that this was done at the factory when they're installed. This instruction is for the crate motor only, right?
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:39 PM   #7
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
There's some GM track documents that indicate to change the oil at 500 miles and to change the rear diff fluid before track use. I changed my oil for the first time at 1000 miles and considered that the end of my break-in period. I didn't baby it during break in, but I never got close to redline. I definitely gave it some good runs to 4000 rpm, and a few times accidentally hit 4500-4700ish rpms, but only very briefly. I changed the oil again at ~4,600 miles (earlier than needed) and also had the rear diff fluid changed with the OEM ACDelco fluid. The service tech said it was sliver-ish. Highly recommend a similar fluid change schedule, or even better, change the rear diff fluid at 1,000 miles with the first oil change.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:51 PM   #8
KaMaRow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
There's some GM track documents that indicate to change the oil at 500 miles and to change the rear diff fluid before track use. I changed my oil for the first time at 1000 miles and considered that the end of my break-in period. I didn't baby it during break in, but I never got close to redline. I definitely gave it some good runs to 4000 rpm, and a few times accidentally hit 4500-4700ish rpms, but only very briefly. I changed the oil again at ~4,600 miles (earlier than needed) and also had the rear diff fluid changed with the OEM ACDelco fluid. The service tech said it was sliver-ish. Highly recommend a similar fluid change schedule, or even better, change the rear diff fluid at 1,000 miles with the first oil change.
Yes i have seen the track pdf. but the most current is 2019 I cant find one newer. That is why im curious if the info has changed and why no newer track document is available. The manual for the 2022 and the track supplement for the 2022 go on for page after page about track prep but make zero mention of a 500 mile oil change.

I am now curious about the diff oil. I can for answers now I have more questions
Old 03-24-2022, 11:58 PM   #9
GreenZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMaRow View Post
Do you think people are just stuck doing what they always have? IM getting to be an old timer myself and I remember it was every 3000 miles then 4000 then it got to be 6000 and now most cars are 7500 miles. My civic i had was 10000 miles for oil changes. I think its hard to let go of what we have always done? I mean these companies invest millions to research and warranty the stuff I know they don't want to repair anything so why would their recommendations be wrong? Even so once my oil gets to 3k I start getting anxiety and the overwhelming need to go change it LOL. but hell with the ZL1 using 2.5 gallons of oil and the oil change pushing well over 100 bucks Im a little less inclined to change it so much.

do you feel the diff oil is necessary? or was just a personal preference?
I think there's always been people who are more cautious and lets face it, we're all influenced by previous experience. It was tough for me to accept changing oil at 7500 miles in a V6 even though it held 6 quarts when I was accustomed to 3000. From what I've read, modern engines dont produce the same amount of wear in debris they did 40 years ago. On the other hand, 10 quarts of oil is a LOT of oil for an engine especially if it isnt being ran hard. The first oil change I did at 1500 miles looked like I was changing barely used oil. Still, I did it.

Like you, I read many posts, saw what the consensus was, and mostly followed it. After 500 miles and a filter change, I ran it harder than recommended. Not that I advise it, I'm simply an abusive driver. After 1500 miles, I started taking it to the drag strip. Most importantly though, I did at least what GM called for.

I absolutely believe changing the diff fluid is a good call! The accounts you read here document fairly heavy contamination after 1500 or so miles and that was my experience too. The second time I changed it, after maybe 5000 or 6000 miles AND a day at the track, it wasnt nearly as contaminated. Both times I used the GM Dif Fluid.

I've got the A10 and I changed the filter and fluid in it after a day at Putnam Park road course. I think it was around 6 quarts, but I cant remember for certain. Replaced with the correct GM ULV trans fluid.

Since I tend to drive it hard even on the street, I change the oil twice as often as required.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:00 AM   #10
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
I've went over the 4k a few times while taking family and friends for a drive, it's really hard not to. If it's really 1500 miles, that seems excessive. I'll have to bust out my manual... I knew about staying under 4k but always read it was only for 500 miles per the crate instructions.
Hope I don't create an engine with excessive oil consumption because I went over 4k a few times. Lol
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:03 AM   #11
GreenZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
I've went over the 4k a few times while taking family and friends for a drive, it's really hard not to. If it's really 1500 miles, that seems excessive. I'll have to bust out my manual... I knew about staying under 4k but always read it was only for 500 miles per the crate instructions.
Hope I don't create an engine with excessive oil consumption because I went over 4k a few times. Lol

I wouldnt worry a bit. 1500 miles is just for the first oil change. After that, 4K isnt a problem at all.

Oops, nevermind. I thought you meant miles, not RPM.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:05 AM   #12
GreenZLE

BTW, If anyone would be a prime candidate for driving it too hard under 1500 miles and causing an oil consumption problem, it would be me....and my car is fine.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:19 AM   #13
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Mine was at the track with 181 miles on it. I changed the oil (actually engine/trans/diff) at 500 and 1700. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:48 AM   #14
Bad 1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Oil consumption is usually caused from the inverse. Excessive low engine speeds, sustained speeds with no load, etc. I suspect much of the 1500 miles they recommend is not for things to break in, develope wear patterns etc. I personally think it's a buffer to minimize damage if something wasn't assembled or manufactured quite up to par.

I've physically watched engines break in on a dyno with everything including crankcase pressure being monitored. If those rings arent seated in a handfull of pulls, those engines never seal like they should. Roller cams don't "wear in" like old flat tappet cams either. If a twin disk clutch isn't seated in a few hundred miles, it's a pile of junk or defective. The mechanical side of these cars should be worked in by 500-750 miles plenty good enough to take whatever it was built for. Do as you wish though, it's your ass on the line if it breaks, lol.

As someone who has torn apart, assembled, and criticaly inspected piles of engines, transmissions, and rear ends I've never seen any mechanical vehicle part that needed 1500 miles before it was broken in. We must be driving automotive unicorns here, lol.

I'd change engine and gear oils much sooner than recommended. You'll be just be regurgitating the fine metallic particals after the first few hundred miles. The oil filter will catch most of it, but clean fresh oil is a good thing any way you shake it