Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 01-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #15
CWOFOR

Drives: '16 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Fo12ce View Post
Update: I was able to find out yesterday that that the 8L90 A8 is sealed unit and when serviced the fluid is pumped in and out. It has no drain bolt. I am asking here if anyone knows what the pan is made of for sure, although it's most likely steel to so I can go the route of using one on the pan.

The factory drain bolt for the differential is a M20x1.5x16 and already magnetic, although most likely not same pulling power as the Dimple. Dimple makes a M20x1.5x14 (not including the magnet) so they have one that will fit our cars for that.

As soon as I find out for sure on the trans oil pan I can tell those interested what would make a Camaro SS "kit" for autos. I'll ask the manufacturer if they will make a package price too.
I recently bought my '16 1SS and have been thinking about doing this. I know it has been a while since you last posted on this subject and hope you don't mind answering a question or two.

First, did you take ownership of the car? Did you put the magnets in? And do you have any data to pass on yet?

As for the info on the trans being sealed and the service method you described; are they saying on a service there is no filter replacement?

Also, in most of the GM trans I have torn apart (and I have done my fair share in my life time (I'm 62)) (manual & auto) I have usually found a magnet inside, either in a slot on the side or glued to the bottom of the pan (either near or under the filter). I would like to believe that this is still the case with GM on these cars, but I could be wrong (it's been known to happen ).

I appreciate any answers you have on this subject and look forward to your update. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CWOFOR; 01-27-2017 at 05:39 AM.
CWOFOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #16
G Fo12ce

Drives: '16 2SS
Hi CWOFOR,

Yes, I got it in July. Yes, I put all the Dimple magnets shown in the pics above on. I replaced the engine oil drain bolt, the lower diff drain bolt and used 4 Super Black Holes on the oil filter and trans pan. I'm not one to do those oil sampling tests so I don't have any data to pass on other than they all fit well and are high quality magnets and fasteners.

I'm not sure about a filter change on the trans, I specifically asked about an oil change and that was the answer I got. It didn't strike me as strange because my Fiance's '10 Terrain is the same way. This is my first GM and automatic for that matter so you'll have to forgive my inexperience on that. I would not be surprised if there were a factory magnet in the trans pan. I figure the ones I got are just added insurance at what wasn't a crazy expense to me.

Hope that helps.
• 4/19/16 2000 Accepted with 5ZU
• 4/23/16 3000 TPW:5/16/16
• 5/06/16 3100
• 5/13/16 3400 Broadcast Sheet
• 5/24/16 3800 Vehicle Produced
• 5/25/16 4B00 Bayed
• 5/27/16 4300 Intermediate Delivery
• 7/9/16 Delivered!
G Fo12ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #17
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
So I did a search and didn't see much on this topic except for a mention HERE. I plan to install a few items as soon as I drive the Camaro SS I just ordered home for the break in and onward. I'm going to get a Mishimoto catch can which I won't go into as there is a lot of info on here already.

I will preface these next ones by saying I know nothing is a substitute for frequent oil and filter changes. I had similar types of the following products on my last car and I still think it's good piece of mind for not that much $.

1. I want to get a neodymium magnetic oil drain plug/bolt. I've been told the OEM bolt on the Corvette is M12X1.75X25mm and I assume the Camaro is the same. Is that a safe assumption?

I read mention of these on a Corvette forum: PowerSlut Racing (yes that's the real name ) & DIMPLE/Drainplugmagnets.com. The latter people were saying is more expensive but engineered really well. Anyone have experience with these?

2. I also had an oil filter magnet by FilterMag, hopefully the one I had on my 370Z works but I have a feeling the Camaro's will be much larger. Drainplugmagnets.com has their own solution too.

They also have some complete kits for some cars and bikes like this one for the Hellcat that covers the trans, diff & engine oil, is there some GM software people have to see what the dimensions of these bolts are on our cars without ordering them or taking them off first?:

If you aren't aware of what are supposed to be the benefits here is what it says on their page:.

By the way if you are interested Drainplugs.com is in PALM COAST, FL. (between Jacksonville & Orlando). Maybe we can get them to make a kit.
I am going to look into this as I live in Palm Coast.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #18
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
By the way it is www.drainplugmagnets.com/ From the webiste they are .3 miles from my house as well. haha
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
CWOFOR

Quote:
Hi CWOFOR,

Yes, I got it in July. Yes, I put all the Dimple magnets shown in the pics above on. I replaced the engine oil drain bolt, the lower diff drain bolt and used 4 Super Black Holes on the oil filter and trans pan. I'm not one to do those oil sampling tests so I don't have any data to pass on other than they all fit well and are high quality magnets and fasteners.

I'm not sure about a filter change on the trans, I specifically asked about an oil change and that was the answer I got. It didn't strike me as strange because my Fiance's '10 Terrain is the same way. This is my first GM and automatic for that matter so you'll have to forgive my inexperience on that. I would not be surprised if there were a factory magnet in the trans pan. I figure the ones I got are just added insurance at what wasn't a crazy expense to me.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for getting back and this info does help some. By data, what I was hoping, was whether or not you noticed any flecks in your oil at a change or lack of, or does it seem to take longer on the oil monitor before you need a change; that type of stuff.

Again thanks for the info.

Last edited by CWOFOR; 01-28-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #20
G Fo12ce

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWOFOR View Post
Thanks for getting back and this info does help some. By data, what I was hoping, was whether or not you noticed any flecks in your oil at a change or lack of, or does it seem to take longer on the oil monitor before you need a change; that type of stuff.

Again thanks for the info.
No problem. I have to apologize because my answer probably will not give exactly what you are looking for but hopefully you'll understand my reasoning lol.

As recently as my last car I would have totally done the first oil change myself and I would have been able to tell you what it looked like. This car came with 2 free changes and since I've gotten lazier in my 40's I decided to just take advantage and used one after break in, and one just recently when I hit the mileage for it. I did not look at the magnet myself. Those little suckers are really powerful for the size, even more so than the ones I had on my 370Z from another maker. If there was any ferrous metal in there I'm pretty confident it was caught by either the bolt or the ones on the filter.

That being said I don't know how much I would see on the oil drain plug because I installed the Super Black Holes on the filter at the same time. You'd want to cut open the filter also if you copy what I did. The engine oil drain bolt you can swap out fast as it has a smaller magnet on it. This is something you can do during the break-in.

The Dimple magnet is a lot stronger/larger for the diff. I took off the fill plug first just to make sure the thread and size was correct before I opened the drain. The thing is so powerful it would stick to the diff housing as soon as you got it close and it made it difficult to line up and start to thread it. Plan on doing that one with a full fluid change so you can have extra time to install it. You won't be able to swap it quick like the engine oil one. When I swapped out the drain plug for the diff there was some stuff on the stock plug as it's magnetic also. Next time I change the diff oil I'll come back and show my results here.

If you decide to get these maybe you can show better results than I did.
• 5/06/16 3100
• 5/25/16 4B00 Bayed
• 7/9/16 Delivered!
Old 01-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #21
G Fo12ce

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
I am going to look into this as I live in Palm Coast.
That's funny. The owner was a nice guy on the phone, I got the impression he's a smaller business.
• 5/06/16 3100
• 5/25/16 4B00 Bayed
• 7/9/16 Delivered!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #22
CWOFOR

Quote:
No problem. I have to apologize because my answer probably will not give exactly what you are looking for but hopefully you'll understand my reasoning lol.

As recently as my last car I would have totally done the first oil change myself and I would have been able to tell you what it looked like. This car came with 2 free changes and since I've gotten lazier in my 40's I decided to just take advantage and used one after break in, and one just recently when I hit the mileage for it. I did not look at the magnet myself. Those little suckers are really powerful for the size, even more so than the ones I had on my 370Z from another maker. If there was any ferrous metal in there I'm pretty confident it was caught by either the bolt or the ones on the filter.

That being said I don't know how much I would see on the oil drain plug because I installed the Super Black Holes on the filter at the same time. You'd want to cut open the filter also if you copy what I did. The engine oil drain bolt you can swap out fast as it has a smaller magnet on it. This is something you can do during the break-in.

The Dimple magnet is a lot stronger/larger for the diff. I took off the fill plug first just to make sure the thread and size was correct before I opened the drain. The thing is so powerful it would stick to the diff housing as soon as you got it close and it made it difficult to line up and start to thread it. Plan on doing that one with a full fluid change so you can have extra time to install it. You won't be able to swap it quick like the engine oil one. When I swapped out the drain plug for the diff there was some stuff on the stock plug as it's magnetic also. Next time I change the diff oil I'll come back and show my results here.

If you decide to get these maybe you can show better results than I did.
Thanks a bunch for the info; I ordered yesterday and I plan to install at my next set of fluid changes.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #23
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
In a past life I occasionally worked on helicopter engines and gear boxes. Which used magnetic plugs to catch any debris. They worked very well.

I'm intending to keep my 1SS for some time, so I'm going to bite on the $35 Dimple drain plug.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #24
Arizona480

Drives: Future Camaro owner
Arizona480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #25
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
In a past life I occasionally worked on helicopter engines and gear boxes. Which used magnetic plugs to catch any debris. They worked very well.

I'm intending to keep my 1SS for some time, so I'm going to bite on the $35 Dimple drain plug.
So what's the size (or part #) for the 1SS engine oil or manual trans plugs?

Ya gotta dumb that website down a bit by this time on Friday... LOL! I'm thinking its the M12X1.75X21 for the engine, but don't want to get it wrong.
Thanks!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #26
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
http://drainplugmagnets.com/recentgmandbuick.php
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:50 AM   #27
G Fo12ce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
So what's the size (or part #) for the 1SS engine oil or manual trans plugs?

Ya gotta dumb that website down a bit by this time on Friday... LOL! I'm thinking its the M12X1.75X21 for the engine, but don't want to get it wrong.
Thanks!
Yes, that is the oil drain plug.
• 5/06/16 3100
• 5/25/16 4B00 Bayed
• 7/9/16 Delivered!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #28
Dmaxcc6spd

Drives: 71 Camaro SS - 17 Camaro SS1LE
Any word on parts for the Camaros? I will take delivery in May and want to get things ready and in order for its arrival.
14 Camaro RS (gone - totaled by 8&9 year olds)
17 Camaro 1LE HBM Ordered 02/21 Built 4/24, Delivered 5/4
Dmaxcc6spd is offline   Reply With Quote