Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-14-2024, 09:37 AM   #1
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
GT350 to SS 1le?

Anyone on here come from a GT350 to an SS 1le? I’m thinking about doing the opposite as my 1le doesn’t feel that fun to me and I think the GT350 would be a more special feeling and fun car.

Was wondering if anyone made the switch and if you could go back, would you have just stuck with your GT350 or do you strongly prefer the 1le?

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:52 AM   #2
18.2SS.1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Stock cars get boring, time for some upgrades.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:18 AM   #3
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I've been doing a lot of research lately as I've been busy trying to find my next car and the GT350 was number two on my list of likely buys (ZL1 M6 being #1).

After reading a lot of people who have switched from SS / 1LE / ZL1 to or from a GT350 most people agreed that:

GT350 sounds a lot better
GT350 handles better than an SS but worse than a 1LE
Transmission / shifting was a wash
GT350 suffers badly from tramlining, and a lot have experienced hood flutter
GT350 has better 'visibility'; as we all know here, but also know it's easy to get used to / not as bad as people make it out to be
Some people didn't like how you had to wring out the Voodoo to get to the TQ, where as the LT1/4 had it in spades down low.

I'm biased as I've owned one Coyote 5.0, and two LT1's, and I *much* prefer the drivability of the SBCs over over the Fords.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, just different.

I'm currently in the process of getting a ZL1, which if I couldn't, I would probably be quite happy in a GT350, but I would have tried to find a 1/2SS 1LE before getting the Ford. Buddy of mine at work has a bolt-ons & tuned PP2 '19 GT and the tramlining, hood flutter, and shifting into 2nd at redline issues are real.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:55 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
The GT350 does have a super unique sound, there is no other engine (and probably never will be any) that replicates it out of the box, the video below gives a very entertaining and accurate summary of why. Aftermarket exhausts can get close on the LT4, though.

Even considering that, I don't think it would be an upgrade compared to a ZL1 in any meaningful way, looks and sound both being fairly subjective.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:46 PM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
These are germain to any of the Mustang trims. Short of you get the Shelby name I agree handling will take a hit from a 1LE. I've owned a 15 GT/PP car and 18 1LE. I wouldn't go back, per se as handling is one of my key factors. I had to put a Grand of Steeda parts under that GT to tame the wheel hop and other problems that IRS has.

GT350 has better 'visibility'; as we all know here, but also know it's easy to get used to / not as bad as people make it out to be
Some people didn't like how you had to wring out the Voodoo to get to the TQ, where as the LT1/4 had it in spades down low.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:09 PM   #6
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18.2SS.1LE View Post
Stock cars get boring, time for some upgrades.
Haha I can't completely argue with that. The problem I'm having is the 1le actually feels a little less fun than my non-1le SS did. When I put my foot down in the 1le it actually feels like i'm going slower than I did in my standard SS even though I know for a fact I'm not going slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
The grass isn't always greener on the other side, just different.

I'm currently in the process of getting a ZL1, which if I couldn't, I would probably be quite happy in a GT350, but I would have tried to find a 1/2SS 1LE before getting the Ford. Buddy of mine at work has a bolt-ons & tuned PP2 '19 GT and the tramlining, hood flutter, and shifting into 2nd at redline issues are real.
I choose the 1LE over the GT350 last year but I kinda feel like I made a mistake. Now that I'm older I kinda get paying more (GT350) and having the more unique car even though performance is a wash. I think Chevy made a huge mistake not giving the 1LE a hot rodded LT1 or it's own bespoke engine. I'd probably be satisfied had Chevy did one of those two things but lately I wished I had a more unique car than an SS with an option package checked. Funny thing is I see way more GT350's than I do SS 1le's but idk the car is just way more boring than I ever would have thought. I actually find my prior non 1le more fun. It just felt more raw and I was wondering if prior GT350 owners could chime in and let me know if the car feels more raw/special or not. Guess I'll find out Saturday when I go for a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Even considering that, I don't think it would be an upgrade compared to a ZL1 in any meaningful way, looks and sound both being fairly subjective.
Thanks I've watched that video! I am comparing the SS 1le to the GT350 not the ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
These are germain to any of the Mustang trims. Short of you get the Shelby name I agree handling will take a hit from a 1LE. I've owned a 15 GT/PP car and 18 1LE. I wouldn't go back, per se as handling is one of my key factors. I had to put a Grand of Steeda parts under that GT to tame the wheel hop and other problems that IRS has.

I think the handling will take a hit as well, but not as big as what a lot of Camaro owners think when comparing the 19+ 350 to the SS 1le. They made quite a bit of improvements handling wise in the 19 and 20's. Personally I think the upcharge is worth it for the more powerful engine. While it doesn't have the torque of the LT1, coming out of a corner and into a strait away the GT350 will freight train past any SS 1le on the straights. It simply is just making more power. I used to be a performance per dollar kinda guy (hence why I have had two 6th gens) but I really wish I had a more unique, special and raw feeling car. All these cars have more handling than we'll ever get to use on public roads. I am now learning that the subjective things in cars matter just as much as the objective things so I've listed my 1le for sale. Will be test driving a GT350 this weekend, S197 GT500 and C6z06 next weekend. Hope to find a ZL1 to test drive. Probably can't swing the ZL1 unless I private sell my 1le.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 03-14-2024, 04:52 PM   #7
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
The sounds the GT350 makes are intoxicating, especially as the rpms climb. I came really close to buying one before I bought my SS 1LE. It was a regular GT350 and not the GT350R. I passed on it for several reasons. First, it would have cost me almost as much as a ZL1. Second, the 5.2 Vodoo motor has a history of oil consumption and it lacks torque in the lower rpms compared to the LT1. I was also worried about how long the motor would last constantly going to those high rpms. Third I didn't come close to fitting in the Recaro seats (although you could get a regular GT350 without the Recaros). The Recaros in the Camaro are much, much better.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:37 PM   #8
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
The sounds the GT350 makes are intoxicating, especially as the rpms climb. I came really close to buying one before I bought my SS 1LE. It was a regular GT350 and not the GT350R. I passed on it for several reasons. First, it would have cost me almost as much as a ZL1. Second, the 5.2 Vodoo motor has a history of oil consumption and it lacks torque in the lower rpms compared to the LT1. I was also worried about how long the motor would last constantly going to those high rpms. Third I didn't come close to fitting in the Recaro seats (although you could get a regular GT350 without the Recaros). The Recaros in the Camaro are much, much better.
The oil consumption issues are what honestly scared me into the 1le. I’m confident in the gen 2 voodoo having solved that after more research. Also if I wind up with a gt350 I will just get a long extended warranty. I’m not worried about rpm. DOHC motors can live at high rpm and ford set those heads up really well. They don’t drop valves like I see on some sbc’s.

I have heard bad things about the 350 recaros. If I get one I definitely want the recaros. I’m short with an athletic frame so I think I will be fine in them. Finding a 19+ gt350 was IMPOSSIBLE when I was cross shopping. I do love my 1le’s recaros so I am very curious about the 350 ones.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si

Last edited by m6-lt1; 03-14-2024 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:47 PM   #9
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
In their "Performance Car of the year" issue a few years back, Car and driver (or was it motor trend?) explained the principal you are observing. Cars that have really well sorted suspensions (as the 1LE does) and high traction tires are not exciting to drive at normal speeds on public roads, because there is no sensation of speed until you start getting close to the tire adhesion limits in the corners. Cars that don't have body motion as well controlled (Mustang, and perhaps the non 1LE SS) will fill more lively at lower speeds. Hit the accelerator hard and you have more weight transfer, to the rear, which makes you feel more pressed into the seat and your brain perceives as "faster." Same thing with more body lean in the corners.

I bought the 1LE to use at the track and have no disappointment when using it there. I don't really care about a car feeling "special," (not even really sure what this is supposed to mean) but I keep hearing that word tossed around by Mustang owners who like to ogle over the limited edition variants (Boss, Bullit, Mach 1, 350, 500, etc).
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:15 PM   #10
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Owned both, the voodoo has the consumption issues( take a look on shelby threads, you would be concerned on the #s) and it makes very little power under 3k. I would venture a 1LE is quicker on most road courses .
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 08:06 AM   #11
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
In their "Performance Car of the year" issue a few years back, Car and driver (or was it motor trend?) explained the principal you are observing. Cars that have really well sorted suspensions (as the 1LE does) and high traction tires are not exciting to drive at normal speeds on public roads, because there is no sensation of speed until you start getting close to the tire adhesion limits in the corners. Cars that don't have body motion as well controlled (Mustang, and perhaps the non 1LE SS) will fill more lively at lower speeds. Hit the accelerator hard and you have more weight transfer, to the rear, which makes you feel more pressed into the seat and your brain perceives as "faster." Same thing with more body lean in the corners.

I bought the 1LE to use at the track and have no disappointment when using it there. I don't really care about a car feeling "special," (not even really sure what this is supposed to mean) but I keep hearing that word tossed around by Mustang owners who like to ogle over the limited edition variants (Boss, Bullit, Mach 1, 350, 500, etc).
Good points. The 1LE is so good it really doesn't feel that exciting at normal speeds on public roads. I've said this many times, its the best performance bang for the buck you can buy. And the Camaro's Alpha chassis is better than the S550 chassis that underpins the GT350.

M6-lt1 if you want to move away from your 1LE I'd encourage you to look at a ZL1 over a GT350. With the prices I've seen for used GT350s, especially for 19s and 20s, you would be in line with or close to ZL1 pricing. The ZL1 is offers more performance than the GT350. Having owned both a 1LE and a ZL1 the ZL1 is basically a 1LE with even more power.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:57 AM   #12
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
M6-lt1 if you want to move away from your 1LE I'd encourage you to look at a ZL1 over a GT350. With the prices I've seen for used GT350s, especially for 19s and 20s, you would be in line with or close to ZL1 pricing. The ZL1 is offers more performance than the GT350. Having owned both a 1LE and a ZL1 the ZL1 is basically a 1LE with even more power.
While I would love too, it’s really hard for me to stomach the extra cost of getting a zl1 because it would have cost me way less in the first place had I ordered one instead. If I get my asking price for my car a zl1 is definitely in play. If I wind up not selling my car I don’t mind just waiting 5 years for both cars to have depreciated a bit and then upgrading. I am aware that the zl1 will hold more of its value but 5 years from now I’ll have saved more money. I’m also going to make sure I get EXACTLY what I find the most fun and want because I’m not making the same mistake again. If I want the zl1 I will make sure to get it one day. Currently between 13/14 gt500, c6 z06, 19+ gt350 and 22/23 zl1 (can’t stomach going more than 1 year older than the current Camaro I have, weird I know). Handling doesn’t matter much to me anymore because where I live now I am either on the highway driving in a straight line or turning at 90 degree angles so the extra handling of the zl1 isn’t needed.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 03-15-2024, 09:23 AM   #13
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Voodoo or Coyote they both breathe better on the top end than an LT1, you can get trounced by torque off the line and just about to the 1/4 but the Mustang will be catching up, hard and given 1/4+ will outrun the LT1. In simple terms.

I drove my 1LE hard on the streets I always threw it in to corners and roundabouts, it's amazing. But most guys won't do that or drive it that way.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:59 AM   #14
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
While I would love too, it’s really hard for me to stomach the extra cost of getting a zl1 because it would have cost me way less in the first place had I ordered one instead. If I get my asking price for my car a zl1 is definitely in play. If I wind up not selling my car I don’t mind just waiting 5 years for both cars to have depreciated a bit and then upgrading. I am aware that the zl1 will hold more of its value but 5 years from now I’ll have saved more money. I’m also going to make sure I get EXACTLY what I find the most fun and want because I’m not making the same mistake again. If I want the zl1 I will make sure to get it one day. Currently between 13/14 gt500, c6 z06, 19+ gt350 and 22/23 zl1 (can’t stomach going more than 1 year older than the current Camaro I have, weird I know). Handling doesn’t matter much to me anymore because where I live now I am either on the highway driving in a straight line or turning at 90 degree angles so the extra handling of the zl1 isn’t needed.
I get it. I was basically in the same boat as you. I just decided that I wanted a ZL1 before they went out of production. I debated about keeping my 1LE too, but ultimately decided that I really didn't need both. I realize that not everyone can afford to do what I did, but I'm fortunate enough to have that option. Ultimately I was able to sell my 1LE for what I wanted out of it, although it took 4 months to do so. I only had my 1LE for two years, but I intend to keep my ZL1 for the indefinite future.

Another point, having had the 1LE first made the transition to the ZL1 very easy. The ZL1 is, as you would expect, quite a bit more of a handful when you get on it. So much so that I've ordered the BMR Suspension rear cradle lockout kit to help settle the rear end down on hard acceleration. Some add this kit to SS cars too, but I really never noticed the issue on my 1LE because it has less power.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)