Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
TC2018SS1LE

Drives: Camaro
C8 transmission

I've read the C8 is going to be released in only automatic, does anyone have info as to if a manual will be released? Or are us manual guys just not going to be purchasing the C8?
TC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
No confirmation yet. DCT is rumored to be the only choice. That's the trend unfortunately.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2018SS1LE View Post
I've read the C8 is going to be released in only automatic, does anyone have info as to if a manual will be released? Or are us manual guys just not going to be purchasing the C8?
Us manual guys will be purchasing it, because we'll want to enjoy the car. The reality is that the manual's days are numbered and all of the high powered cars are going this route.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Us manual guys will be purchasing it, because we'll want to enjoy the car. The reality is that the manual's days are numbered and all of the high powered cars are going this route.
Nope.
I'll never buy an auto.
If the Corvette is only going to be sold in auto I will likely never buy a new Chevy, any model.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Nope.
I'll never buy an auto.
If the Corvette is only going to be sold in auto I will likely never buy a new Chevy, any model.
Well, that is your choice...but if you plan on buying any new car over the next 60 years... you'll be buying an auto

That's just where it is going...

And as an owner of a ZL1 A10...I test drove two of the manual versions, the bog issues in it were why I don't own one...

The manual version of the Hellcat Challenger was fun, but again, it was much slower than the auto version... and I plan to track it..
Old 05-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Well, that is your choice...but if you plan on buying any new car over the next 60 years... you'll be buying an auto

That's just where it is going...

And as an owner of a ZL1 A10...I test drove two of the manual versions, the bog issues in it were why I don't own one...

The manual version of the Hellcat Challenger was fun, but again, it was much slower than the auto version... and I plan to track it..
If you buy your car for times at a track it is probably best for you to buy an auto.
But for those of us manual guys that use it for DD, automaic will not do.
I prefer to use my skills at the track shifting rather than the car's auto. It is 100% a deal killer for those of us that enjoy manual.

You are probably right that the manual will go away. But if that is the case, you are correct I'll never buy a new car.
I'll buy 2 top dog manuals right before they go out of production.
From then on I will buy sensible foriegn cars. To those of us that enjoy being attached with the car there is no difference in driving a automatic corolla and an automatic corvette. They both suck an equal amount.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
You are going to be miserable in the future. And I get it, I love a MT as much as the next guy. I had to settle for an AT in my Colorado when it was offered in my 2005.

I don't want a autonomous electric future either, at least not mandatory. But we're probably headed there.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
If you buy your car for times at a track it is probably best for you to buy an auto.
I prefer to use my skills at the track shifting rather than the car's auto. It is 100% a deal killer for those of us that enjoy manual.

You are probably right that the manual will go away. But if that is the case, you are correct I'll never buy a new car.
From then on I will buy sensible foreign cars.
I get it, I have a Stick in every one of my cars. But Autos are the Future and the Europeans actually led this - the Porsche & BMW auto-sticks are wonderful. BMW is doing away with Manuals.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Look I know some people just want a manual, no matter what type the automatic transmission is. I get that, and I respect it.

But you guys also realize we are talking about a DCT transmission right? I see some people comparing to the autos they've owned in the past, which isn't a fair comparison. We're talking lightning fast shifts, that no manual will ever touch. Heck, even the current A10 in the ZL1 is crazy fast for what it is. A true DCT should be even quicker.

That said, for those guys that won't be taking the car to the track (strip or an actual road course) a manual would be a good option.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #10
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
All of this is purely speculation right now, but I see GM offering a manual alongside the DCT. I realize Ford said that the only way you're getting a new GT500, is with a DCT. After they said this during the press release, many of the Ford faithful were quite disgruntled. A few weeks later, the head of Ford Performance made a statement about it. He said that a DCT is the only transmission option now, but a manual is not out of the question.

I get it. A DCT is fast...really fast. With that being said, I'm not a track rat and I would gladly give up the super quick shifts of a DCT and choose a manual everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #11
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:

From then on I will buy sensible foriegn cars. To those of us that enjoy being attached with the car there is no difference in driving a automatic corolla and an automatic corvette. They both suck an equal amount.
I've been a manual guy most of my life...and there are days I do miss it...but when you're driving these kinds of cars, it's not the same feeling... especially when you DD it...

My ZL1 is a DD...
Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #12
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
You are going to be miserable in the future. And I get it, I love a MT as much as the next guy. I had to settle for an AT in my Colorado when it was offered in my 2005.

I don't want a autonomous electric future either, at least not mandatory. But we're probably headed there.
When I needed a truck I bought a Ford ranger. At the time it was the only V6 available in stick.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post

Driving old school muscle cars isn't how I definite miserable.
But I guess that is just me.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #14
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Look I know some people just want a manual, no matter what type the automatic transmission is. I get that, and I respect it.

But you guys also realize we are talking about a DCT transmission right? I see some people comparing to the autos they've owned in the past, which isn't a fair comparison. We're talking lightning fast shifts, that no manual will ever touch. Heck, even the current A10 in the ZL1 is crazy fast for what it is. A true DCT should be even quicker.

That said, for those guys that won't be taking the car to the track (strip or an actual road course) a manual would be a good option.
DCT=automatic
No clutch pedal= automatic