Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #43
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
Yea it sucks you work so hard to buy something you really want and spend so much time and effort to customize the car you like and some @$$holes just take it like that . Unfortunately that's the world we leave in. Yea I have been reading up on all these camaro thefts and it's very shocking and sad. Makes me wonder how they were able to take the car without attracting any attention. When I seen the car it had no exterior damaged at all it was just the interior. I also read an article a while back that the camaros being targeted are 2011 and up and the guy at the impound told the same thing 2011 and up are the ones being stripped. I'm just throwing a guess out there maybe my car was spared because it's a 2010 model. The impound guy even said my camaro was the first of like 50 where the engine wasn't stripped.
Sorry to burst your bubble-my first one was a 2010...and an automatic....
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #44
NAS

Drives: '10 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oustaz View Post
If I was you, I wouldn't take the car back, try to negotiate with your insurance so they can salvage it so you can get a new one
I wonder if insurance will let me do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
Op: I am on Camaro #2 myself, having mine stolen from Dublin BART during the daytime (and yes, stripped and found in Oakland).

I'm getting this for my current one: http://www.blacklineautomotive.com/p...cis/index.html
Thanks I'll do some research on that.
NAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #45
elektrik

Quote:

Welcome! I like it because not only does it have it's own battery backup but it also works like a cell phone in that it will notify you the second the car is moved, regardless of whether it's running or not!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #46
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:

I would, your car will be less valuable by at least a few grand now if you try and trade it in or resell it. Theft recovery vehicles get it placed permanently on the title and it will show up on a car fax.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #47
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
So how are they jacking these cars? They have electronic devices?
RFID hack. Same tech used to swipe your credit card info when they just walk by.
They have a device that pings the chip and gathers the information. Your key chip can be copied using this device.

Another is a new onstar spoof to unlock the doors. The module is then removed so the location can not be tracked.

RF signal generator can be used to unlock the doors of many cars and garages.

Keyless with proximity IE push to start is the most easily stolen since RFID is the only data needed to take the vehicle.

If you have to park where someone will drive the car away, pull the ecu fuses so the car will not start.

If garaged disengage the door opener and pad lock the door shut.

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 08-04-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #48
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Would there be any potential down side/harm (other than the hassle) to pulling the 5 and 20 fuses every night after the car is parked? I always back into my spot at home, but there have been several stories like this over the past month or so and I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to prevent my car from being stolen.
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #49
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Wonder about simply pulling a fuse for the remote keyless entry. I mean, if that's how they are getting in...electronics to open the door, take away the electronics. Then they'd have to smash the window or use a screwdriver to bypass the lock.

All you have to do differently is use the key to get in every time.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:34 AM   #50
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Hack this hack that....

The fastest way to steal a car is to snatch it with a tow truck. You don't need to get inside the car to take it. When it gets to the chop shop, they then break into the car, usually by breaking the door lock or a window, and then if they are smart, disabling On Star to eliminate GPS tracking.

Even if you could hack the RFID device in the key, you still need the key to start the car and if it's an auto, get it out of park.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #51
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Has anyone seen a device like this "Safe T Pedal" for Camaro? I think backing into your parking spot plus something like this to prevent complete access to the pedals would stop just about anyone?

Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:43 AM   #52
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
I never hear anything good out of Oakland. I doubt you will get it back, and if you do you probably aren't going to want it back
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Obviously you don't follow baseball , go and take a look at !
99% correct
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:56 AM   #53
elektrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
Hack this hack that....

The fastest way to steal a car is to snatch it with a tow truck. You don't need to get inside the car to take it. When it gets to the chop shop, they then break into the car, usually by breaking the door lock or a window, and then if they are smart, disabling On Star to eliminate GPS tracking.

Even if you could hack the RFID device in the key, you still need the key to start the car and if it's an auto, get it out of park.
...and that's the point I was making with my wife (who subscribed to the RFID theory for my stolen Camaro. I believe they simply backed up a Tow Truck, loaded it up and drove away.). Even if they RFID'd into my car, they'd still need a physical key to start and drive away. I'm assuming GM at least made it so you can't jam in a screwdriver and force it.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 AM   #54
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
Hack this hack that....

Thats true but the OP reports the ignition was damaged. Also his neighbors 2014SS which was stolen was witnessed as driven away.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 AM   #55
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
im wondering if they are using a 2nd ignition that a programmed key? i know that back in the day thieves would do this with hondas once they came out with chips in their keys. Basically you unplug the factory ignition and plug in one that they brought with. they use heir own key and it starts.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #56
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
Can anyone suggest a hidden camera system?
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote