Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
I believe there are 4 cats total, 2 per side, when the car is stock. Longtubes are the same length as a factory manifold plus the first cat. So you're left with the length of the second cat before you reach where the catback begins. The tiny pipes you received with your longtubes are most likely hollow, indicating they are catless midpipes. If they were high flow, they would have cells. Either way, the length of the cats after longtubes is drastically shorter/smaller due to how much longer the longtubes are compared to a stock manifold/shorty, so there is less room to work with before the start of the catback. Hopefully that makes sense, it's kind of hard to explain lol I'm going to include a picture for reference, comparing a stock manifold and its cats to a longtube with its cat(less) pipes.
Thanks, that cleared up everything
Old 01-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #16
BandRcAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Its a v6, save yourself the money and headache and leave the exhaust how it is, maybe do a catback. Anything with removing the cats or resonater it will drone and sound like crap.
BandRcAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #17
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzinger View Post
Thats a great find Gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
Thanks, that cleared up everything
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:32 AM   #18
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I was an exhaust novice when I joined this forum so I researched like mad before taking the plunge on my “14 LS3 convertible. I didn’t want to get it wrong. My goals were power oriented, not necessarily “noise”. In addition to virtually any combination possible by various members, I got a couple of very authoritative recommendations from BITOG vendors.

Bottom line: the best conventional wisdom from all the experience here is, modify from the engine back. I ended up going with headers, HFCs into the stock NPP catback. I got most of the power available (+42rwhp) without being obnoxiously loud and preserving the excellent NPP functionality that I had just paid $1000 for. I was thrilled with the mods in 2014 and remain so today.

Also, on the V8, stock throttle response is “mushy”. A $150 polished throttle body makes a big improvement in everyday driving. Can’t speak for the 6 guys but I wouldn’t be surprised that they’ve had the same experience.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #19
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
I got the mrt v1 and i love it its perfect the v2 is bad
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #20
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
I got the mrt v1 and i love it its perfect the v2 is bad
The V2 is one of the most popular exhaust for the V6
Old 01-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #21
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
I was an exhaust novice when I joined this forum so I researched like mad before taking the plunge on my “14 LS3 convertible. I didn’t want to get it wrong. My goals were power oriented, not necessarily “noise”. In addition to virtually any combination possible by various members, I got a couple of very authoritative recommendations from BITOG vendors.

Bottom line: the best conventional wisdom from all the experience here is, modify from the engine back. I ended up going with headers, HFCs into the stock NPP catback. I got most of the power available (+42rwhp) without being obnoxiously loud and preserving the excellent NPP functionality that I had just paid $1000 for. I was thrilled with the mods in 2014 and remain so today.

Also, on the V8, stock throttle response is “mushy”. A $150 polished throttle body makes a big improvement in everyday driving. Can’t speak for the 6 guys but I wouldn’t be surprised that they’ve had the same experience.
That's alot of details and i like how in deph you went with it, people that are here to help and share experiences are amazing. thank you even though this is for the v8 i would like to get more info on the whole throttle body thing one thing i noticed is the delay in higher gears 3rd and 4th have somewhat of a delay, obviously they're higher gears but it seems like if i mash the throttle i don't get the acceleration that i should be getting, i was thinking it's either the delay that things like the vitesse/ throttle body's fix or it's just that it's a high gear, i was by no means lugging the engine.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #22
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenafan85 View Post
The V2 is one of the most popular exhaust for the V6
Maybe he meant bad as in good?
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:32 AM   #23
Theloots

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Great helpful pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
I believe there are 4 cats total, 2 per side, when the car is stock. Longtubes are the same length as a factory manifold plus the first cat. So you're left with the length of the second cat before you reach where the catback begins. The tiny pipes you received with your longtubes are most likely hollow, indicating they are catless midpipes. If they were high flow, they would have cells. Either way, the length of the cats after longtubes is drastically shorter/smaller due to how much longer the longtubes are compared to a stock manifold/shorty, so there is less room to work with before the start of the catback. Hopefully that makes sense, it's kind of hard to explain lol I'm going to include a picture for reference, comparing a stock manifold and its cats to a longtube with its cat(less) pipes.
Gunmetal ... thanks for the pic. I'm scoping headers for my 2012 2SS in NJ. In your pic is that an actual cat that comes with the headers? meaning, would you still pass emissions? or is is a fake for the dreaded state inspection mirror?
Old 01-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #24
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloots View Post
Gunmetal ... thanks for the pic. I'm scoping headers for my 2012 2SS in NJ. In your pic is that an actual cat that comes with the headers? meaning, would you still pass emissions? or is is a fake for the dreaded state inspection mirror?
Not a problem buddy. As far as your question, I'm not sure. As far as I know, I think the only way to tell between a high flow or catless midpipe is just to look inside. One will be hollowed out piece of pipe and the other will have the cat material in it. If there is a way of differentiating the two from the outside, I'm unaware of it.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #25
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Let me throw my 2 cents into the mix.

I have had the MRT 2.0 for over 6 years. These are the most populuar axle back mufflers around.

I have since added the OBX headers, which eliminated the cats.

The RASP is so bad you will want to add the Magnaflow resonated X pipe.

Here are some photos and sound clips.

ENJOY.

Hope this helps.

Name:  a.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  104.2 KB

Name:  a2.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  b.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  148.6 KB