Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Clutch pedal travel limiters?

I find it difficult to shift smoothly in this car, and especially smoothly and quickly. Every car in the family is a manual along with two bikes so it isn't a lack of experience. The problem seems to be a hesitation in response when depressing the throttle and releasing the clutch resulting in a small jerk.

When I do shift shift well it seems the key is not to depress the clutch fully to the floor, but only as much as necessary for full disengagement, which occurs at some point before the pedal hits the floor.

Would clutch pedal travel down (or up like my 335) stops be beneficial?

How have others mastered this? The Vitesse throttle controller helped only a little...
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
tecmec

Drives: 2016 2SS
Try a different driving mode, or stick to one driving mode (if you're changing them a lot). The driving mode has a noticeable effect on the throttle response, and I have found that the "right way" to get a smooth shift varies depending on mode.

Or maybe it's your "throttle controller" mod that's making your throttle response unpredictable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
tecmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post

When I do shift shift well it seems the key is not to depress the clutch fully to the floor, but only as much as necessary for full disengagement, which occurs at some point before the pedal hits the floor.
True of pretty much any manual transmission. With enough miles driven on this particular car, you'll get used to the engagement point, it took me a few thousand miles to get used to the clutch on my camaro, since every other manual I've owned has been Japanese, and engagement pretty close to the floor.

I suppose if you really wanted to get crafty you could build a block to only allow the pedal to be depressed a certain amount, but you'd also need to make sure the amount you need to press the pedal for clutch engagement is the same as the travel needed to activate the clutch sensor switch so you can start your car . That being said, the engagement point will also move slightly over time as the clutch wears, so I wouldn't really recommend doing anything like this....

Otherwise, my suggestion is just to get used to it. I find that the engagement point of the clutch is kind of set at the same distance as the gas pedal (when fully up). Try starting from there with your feet distance, you'll get used to it eventually.

I also have the throttle controller, but for the record I keep it on SP0 unless I am in the canyons on Sunday morning, then it's SP5 on Track Mode. The controller screws with the throttle response and their modes way too much for day to day driving with the 6MT, that may be part of your problem as well....try driving with it set to SP0 for a while and see if you're still having trouble after a couple weeks...
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote