Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
A pro driver would have difficulty consistently making a shift happen in that time span.
Difference is a pro driver, or any decent driver would execute the shift when they wanted. The A8 in manual mode waits, then shifts. So it doesn't really matter how fast it shifts, if it doesn't shift when you want. A delay can make it hit the rev limiter, go past the powerbands sweet spot, upset the cars balance, etc, etc...that is the issue with the delay. As I always say, if you by the A8 just leave it in drive...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #16
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Difference is a pro driver, or any decent driver would execute the shift when they wanted. The A8 in manual mode waits, then shifts. So it doesn't really matter how fast it shifts, if it doesn't shift when you want. A delay can make it hit the rev limiter, go past the powerbands sweet spot, upset the cars balance, etc, etc...that is the issue with the delay. As I always say, if you by the A8 just leave it in drive...
So could a slippery hand, something getting into your eye, or a thousand other things to distract you when you try to shift. I completely agree, leave it in D, but if the delay is consistent...it can be anticipated.

But then again why would someone believe they can extract better performance manually shifting over these modern performance automatics. These aren't 4L60s or anything of the like. The only real reason is to shift just because you want, which means you are not doing competitive driving where a few milliseconds can make a difference.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #17
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

But then again why would someone believe they can extract better performance manually shifting over these modern performance automatics. These aren't 4L60s or anything of the like. The only real reason is to shift just because you want, which means you are not doing competitive driving where a few milliseconds can make a difference.
Agree with this if there is a delay in paddle shifting. However if there was a way to eliminate delay, then I believe paddle shifting (for a pro driver) would be superior to the auto in road course style racing. Again, only if there is zero delay in paddle shifting.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #18
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
Agree with this if there is a delay in paddle shifting. However if there was a way to eliminate delay, then I believe paddle shifting (for a pro driver) would be superior to the auto in road course style racing. Again, only if there is zero delay.
Only one way to find out, someone needs to autox with the A8 in auto and see how good it does. I'm betting there are some in the C7 forum who have. Maybe they can share some thoughts.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #19
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
So could a slippery hand, something getting into your eye, or a thousand other things to distract you when you try to shift. I completely agree, leave it in D, but if the delay is consistent...it can be anticipated.
Not the same thing, as the delay happens every time...and yeah, you can anticipate it at times, but saying to yourself everytime "hey make sure you shift 300 rpm early so it shifts right" isn't something anybody want to do when autocrossing...not to mention there are times you need a shift like, NOW...and I speak from experience.

Quote:
But then again why would someone believe they can extract better performance manually shifting over these modern performance automatics.
Agree, leave it in drive. But, you will always have those that think they can do better.

Quote:
The only real reason is to shift just because you want, which means you are not doing competitive driving where a few milliseconds can make a difference.
Agree, but when autocrossing you sometimes need to at the spur of the moment change a gear. Even the smartest automatic can't anticipate that. I am assuming that is why the OP was questioning the automatics manual mode, and why I would strongly recommend the manual for autocross...
Old 01-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #20
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Only one way to find out, someone needs to autox with the A8 in auto and see how good it does. I'm betting there are some in the C7 forum who have. Maybe they can share some thoughts.
I run with a few guys who autocross A8 C7's. They overall do just fine. But sometimes if they get a little caught out, the transmission just can't compensate. Overall the manuals are slightly quicker, and a tad more consistent. One can't drive a manual and got it for that reason, the other has a knee issue. But the other one traded in his A8 '14 for a manual '16...
Old 01-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #21
SuperSound

I guess it's just hard for me to contemplate how much a difference it can make considering I've never done any timed autox. To me my skill level would be hurting more than the few times auto mode might not pick the best gear. Even in a manual, I know I would be too excited and maybe overshoot the apex or bang off the rev limiter or short shift because I wasn't watching the tach close enough. For the guys doing it regularly, it might make enough difference, but I know that will not be me.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #22
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
I guess it's just hard for me to contemplate how much a difference it can make considering I've never done any timed autox. To me my skill level would be hurting more than the few times auto mode might not pick the best gear. Even in a manual, I know I would be too excited and maybe overshoot the apex or bang off the rev limiter or short shift because I wasn't watching the tach close enough. For the guys doing it regularly, it might make enough difference, but I know that will not be me.
In most autocrosses I've done once you are up to speed, you only use 2 or so gears. Problem with the automatics is they sometimes will give you an upshift or downshift when you don't really want it. If they catch you off guard it can through you off, or bog the car down, etc...if you just want to have fun the A8 will be totally fine. But if you are in a tuff class sometimes a few hundredths of a second can be the difference between first and fifth place, hence why I like full control and prefer a manual in this case.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #23
ussj4brolli

Drives: 2x 94:Z28s - 2x95:Z28s - 1x16:1LT
Quote:
I see plenty of delay at wide open throttle. At least a quarter of a second if not half a second. Not sure what your definition of delay is.
I went WOT only once, and it was at the very end.instantaneous.

Delays throughout the rest, though.
ussj4brolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #24
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussj4brolli View Post
I went WOT only once, and it was at the very end.instantaneous.

Delays throughout the rest, though.
I see your WOT at the end of the vid. There is quite a bit of delay between when you tick for the next gear and when the transmission actually makes the shift.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #25
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
I see your WOT at the end of the vid. There is quite a bit of delay between when you tick for the next gear and when the transmission actually makes the shift.
Agreed. Definitely a delay there...
Old 01-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #26
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
One person's delay is another's instantaneous!

It's funny... that 6 months ago when I was a long time away from buying a car, I was pretty firmly in the camp of getting the A8 (in whichever car I end up in, C7 or Gen 6).

Right now, with 6-8 weeks from ordering / buying, I'm pretty firmly planted in the M6/M7 camp. And I cannot put my finger on what exactly pushed me back. My first 6 cars were all sticks, and I haven't driven one in about 5-6 years.

/old man rambling off

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #27
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I've run mine up to 118 mph in the manual mode shifting about 6000 and it is right on the money. It sounds just like when your in the Auto mode and its hitting the rev limiter, but its not. I took a friend a ride and that's what he thought also. I can't explain what its doing but it sounds really cool when it shifts. If you shift in the manual mode at lower RPMs it doesn't sound like that and its definitely slower then the auto mode. I think it would do fine in auto cross, it will hold the gear your in with no problem, my 15 ss would shift out even in the manual mode. I actually like the manual gear shift mode better then the paddle shifters. Its just as quick as the paddle shifters at WOT and seems closer to the M6 feel. If your turning the wheel pretty sharply its hard to paddle shift but not in the manual shifter mode.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #28
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

If you think there is no delay in manual mode at WOT, you're just not noticing it. Al O even said a slight delay is inherent to the design...