Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-15-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
KKamaro

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel LT1 M6
Borla Atak V6 LGX strange sound

Hi,

I tried searching for my specific issue, apologize if this is a repeat.

I have had my Borla Atak axle back on my 2019 1LT V6 for about 2K miles. The car has just under 9k on it. The sound has been awesome...until recently.

Pressing on the gas pedal still sounds great. However, the exhaust now sounds awful when letting off the accelerator. The best way I can describe it as similar to a tractor-trailer jake brake. Others have described Borla 'popping' sound but this seems more like rapid vibrating. Has anyone else experienced this? The car drives fine otherwise.

I have contacted Borla and been to a dealer twice. After sending muffler pics to Borla, the rep recommended I go to a local exhaust shop for further inspection. The dealer has inspected the underneath a few times, checked connections, and verified no exhaust leaks. Nothing appears to be wrong under there.

I have also read on forums that Borla exhausts have a 'break-in period'. I hope that this is not the resulting sound of breaking in. It is definitely different, strange, and almost embarrassing.

I will add that this seems to have started happening after I heard a metallic bang noise from underneath while driving down the highway. I didn't think much of that at the time...assumed I ran over something. The Borla rep also noticed some soot-like discoloring on the corners of the mufflers. Not sure if these things have anything to do with the problem. Could be a simple coincidence.

Any advice, insight, or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

Last edited by KKamaro; 08-16-2023 at 06:19 AM.
KKamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 02:42 PM   #2
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Post a video of the sound, otherwise only way to diagnose would be a muffler shop and having them pin point exactly what the sound is coming from while you replicate the noise
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:28 AM   #3
Roddrz

Drives: 2022 Camaro V6 2LT Convertible
KKCamaro,

Have you diagnosed the source of the problem?

This Labor Day weekend, after driving on the highway for 5 hours to visit family, I also have the exact symptoms that you hear and see. The rattle is coming from the the rear; however, the issue occurs after accelerating and keeping a steady speed of 30 mph.

I ruled out the AFM exhaust valves from rattling because, from day one, I used muffler clamps to hold the the AFM Valves open.

I haven't had a chance to crawl under for a complete mechanical check because I'm out of town.

You are correct, embarrassing noise.

I'll update back here after my diagnosis.
Roddrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 01:36 PM   #4
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
My exhaust got a little louder and had a rattle over 6 months ago. I drove it for 3 weeks with the noise. I got the resonator taken off and put a x pipe in it's place. Rattle was gone.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:32 AM   #5
KKamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddrz View Post
KKCamaro,

Have you diagnosed the source of the problem?

This Labor Day weekend, after driving on the highway for 5 hours to visit family, I also have the exact symptoms that you hear and see. The rattle is coming from the the rear; however, the issue occurs after accelerating and keeping a steady speed of 30 mph.

I ruled out the AFM exhaust valves from rattling because, from day one, I used muffler clamps to hold the the AFM Valves open.

I haven't had a chance to crawl under for a complete mechanical check because I'm out of town.

You are correct, embarrassing noise.

I'll update back here after my diagnosis.
Thanks for posting those symptoms, sometimes I feel like it's just me...LOL.
I have not officially diagnosed it yet. Twice at the dealer, they couldn't hear anything wrong. I don't know if they are just less picky than me, or think that rattle sounds good.

My idea is to pull the Borla axle backs off and see if the noise is still there. If so, it sounds like it could be the resonator, or something else entirely. If the Borlas are the culprit, I may just go with muffler delete pipes.

Please let me know if you find out more about your noise.

Cheers!

Last edited by KKamaro; 09-06-2023 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:51 AM   #6
KKamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
My exhaust got a little louder and had a rattle over 6 months ago. I drove it for 3 weeks with the noise. I got the resonator taken off and put a x pipe in it's place. Rattle was gone.
Thanks for posting. I'll add resonator to the list of possible causes. Which X Pipe did you install? I have seen some online but not sure which to consider.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:52 AM   #7
Gen6cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKamaro View Post
Thanks for posting. I'll add resonator to the list of possible causes. Which X Pipe did you install? I have seen some online but not sure which to consider.
The muffler shop had them in stock . I didn't have to worry about getting the wrong one.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:22 PM   #8
KKamaro

Old 11-18-2023, 11:14 PM   #9
Roddrz

Drives: 2022 Camaro V6 2LT Convertible
Gen6cyl,

The rattle is gone after replacing, GM Part - GM Faurecia G4-4994 Resonator, with a Lawson Industries 66925 X-Pipe.

The rattle was not from my Borla Atak Exhaust System.

I never considered Borla. From experience, always suspect the manufactures' parts, not the after-market parts.

I hope that my experience & Gen6cyl's experience helps owners with the Ratting GM Faurecia G4-4994 Resonator.

IMO, GMs' Faurecia resonator appears to break down from heat build-up, maybe from flow restriction? The first half of the resonator is dis-colored and looks like a rainbow from being over-heated

IMO, The new X-Pipe's sound is deeper, fuller and richer. The power level is 1 dB higher. The power level is not 3dB or a doubling of sound intensity.

By Design, X-Pipe also reduces output resistance by 50%.

The vehicle does feel like it gained HP.

To confirm:

* The Performance Timer reduced by 0.5 s from 0 to 60 mph
* Over 2 years, I've tested in many conditions

Parts used to Fix $150 US - 8 hrs Labor - Easy to do

1) Lawson Industries 66925 X-pipe

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003M2IKVE?...roduct_details

Used a sawzall.

Cut the tip off of the blades to approximately 4" total length, so as to stop from hitting the drive shaft and heat shields.

1.1) The X-Pipe fits over the existing 2.5" OD pipes that were going into the rattling GMs'
Faurecia resonator

1.2) The X-Pipe exits into a 2) 2.5" Adaptor, then a 3) 45 Degree Pipe and then into a 4) 2.25" Coupler

2) Qty 2 | Adaptor 2.5" | OD x 2.25" ID

3) Qty 2 | 45 Degree Pipe is an A-KARCK Exhaust 45 Degree Pipe 2.25" OD 2 Pack
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CC943YTJ?...t_details&th=1

4) Qty 2 | Coupler 2.25" ID

5) Qty 2 | 3" Hose Clamps for heat shield

Clamps or Weld

6) Qty 4 | 2.5" Exhaust Clamps

7) Qty 6 | 2.25" Exhaust Clamps

8) Qty 2 | Metal SawZall Blades. Cut the tip of the blades off to approx 4" to clear hitting the drive shaft and heat shields.

Roddrz

Last edited by Roddrz; 11-19-2023 at 12:38 AM.
Roddrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 02:53 AM   #10
Gen6cyl

My exhaust was factory when my resonator began rattling. Seems to be fairly common.I think my miles were around 43k when it rattled. The muffler shop cut it out and welded x pipe in. A few weeks later I cut the muffler off and put mbrp axel back on. It was a good experience and I love the sound. I think it runs a little better above 4.5 k rpm. I'm at 60k miles now. Good to hear your experience, thanks for posting.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:52 AM   #11
KKamaro

Roddrz,

Thank you so much for the super detailed explanation!

Getting ready to put mine in hibernation soon. I plan to take a look underneath to see what’s up with the oem resonator. The car only has 10k but I did hear a loud bang under the car in about that area, so maybe I ran over something that made it loosen.
You have given me hope that the Borlas are okay.

I hate to ask after you wrote such an awesome post…but anyway you can post a pic of your work? That would certainly help my DIY brain that does much better with illustrations. Even a diagram would be good.

Thank you again for the instructions. Above and beyond…confirms my faith in the excellent usefulness of this forum.