Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
I recommend the dry method for the Motiv bleeder. Just top your master cylinder, watch the long first bleed for the RR, and use the bleeder as an air pump.
I use Motul 600 and it has been fine so far.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #16
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
I recommend the dry method for the Motiv bleeder. Just top your master cylinder, watch the long first bleed for the RR, and use the bleeder as an air pump.
Same here. Reservoir is big enough on this car that it doesn't take too many refills. After bursting a hose on my bleeder once, I try to use the dry method whenever possible. I also modified my Motiv bleeder so I can pressurize it and vent it with an air line and a couple of needle valves. Takes seconds to vent and repressurize now.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #17
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt-fun View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the road course. I've recently began tracking my Camaro and found out that I definitely need to switch to some high temp fluid. It seems like everyone here recommends the Castrol SRF. How much do I need to complete the job?

Also, it sounds like switching the pads out is very common. Is there a particular brand or type I should be using? Car is my daily driver, but I really enjoyed that and autocrossing it so I'd like to go on a somewhat regular basis. Thanks in advance!
1L should do it. SRF come in a 1L bottle.

Honestly, if you are new to road course stuff, leave the OE pads in, just make sure you bed them in well before going full boar. The last thing you need to be doing is changing something up with the car when you need to focus on your driving. The OE pads are just fine for novice and intermediate and some advance drivers (track dependent). Pose the question again when you use up your OE pads.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #18
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
I would have two bottles just in case. You can always keep the second for a spare or bleeding before track days. I have run through just a little more than a bottle doing a flush.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #19
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Better too much, than not enough.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:14 AM   #20
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I, too, tried to get the Motive to work on multiple cars and had brake fluid all over the car and floor. This is even after ordering the 'Black Label; caps.

I switched to a Mityvac and have never looked back. The mityvac is amazing and also works great for transmission fluid service.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...efd633892ed0c7

OP - most of the track days in Florida are for weekend events. And there is no way around the fact that NASCAR owns Daytona and Sebring so they charge absurd money for both those facilities.

If you want 'cheaper' fun, look at PBIR and The FIRM. Both have single days for $170-190 depending on event. The FIRM has an 'all you can eat' pass. $2,000/yr and you can run every Fri/Sat/Sun.

And I used to run Motul, but now only SRF. SRF holds up much better in the high humidity environment of Florida. Particularly for you since you live very close to the beach.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:44 AM   #21
Calubi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Are you connecting that mityvac directly to the bleed screws, or somehow using it pressurize the master cylinder?

And where are you guys getting SRF these days? Everywhere I look is back ordered or out of stock.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #22
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubi View Post
And where are you guys getting SRF these days? Everywhere I look is back ordered or out of stock.
You might try Solo Performance Specialties. I was there a week ago and they had at least one bottle on the shelf.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #23
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubi View Post
Are you connecting that mityvac directly to the bleed screws, or somehow using it pressurize the master cylinder?

The Mityvac comes with a fitting that goes right on the bleed screw. It really is the easiest/fastest way I have found to bleed.

I buy 3-4 bottles of SRF at a time. (Unopened, they have a LONG shelf life). I have heard others have problems finding it.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #24
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I just built my own "Motive bleeder" out of a garden sprayer from the hardware store, splicing in a pressure gauge and fastening the hose end to a factory brake fluid cap. I haven't used it to actually bleed the brakes yet, but I have tested it out and it holds pressure no problem. I am not planning to fill the bottle with fluid, doing as others have suggested and only using it as a pressure device. Although, I do not think my contraption will leak, I just dont want to deal with the clean-up mess/risk of a mess upon disconnecting it if I don't have to.

The service procedure is through pressurizing at the master cylinder, as well as many OEM assembly line processes. I prefer vacuum bleeding, myself, but I've never had the best luck with it on newer ABS cars.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote