Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
Ghost_White

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Bad microphone or bad phone settings?

Just had my 2019 in for several issues (everything was no problem found). One of the issues was that people I call using my hands free in the car, can't hear and understand me. They told me it's because my phone has noise cancelation as does the car so it's creating issues. They told me to turn off noise cancelation on my phone, but I can't turn it off...there is no option. Should I take it to a different dealer? The mic placement is horrific in these cars and should have been put up in the headliner. Is there a mod to do that?
Ghost_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
VT-1LE

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE Satin Steel Metallic
I’d be curious to hear what you find out. Do you have a problem with your volume at all? I have a Buick LaCrosse 2011, Silverado 2500 2009, and my wife has a Tahoe 2015. Don’t have a problem hearing a hands free call on any of them. In my Camaro 2020 I can have the volume all the way up and still can’t hear the call well. The stereo full blast will blow your ears. Can’t figure it out.
VT-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:56 PM   #3
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Not sure if you have Android or IPhone. I have a 2016 and when I bluetooth I have to really jack up the volume for people to hear me so I am in the habit of plugging the phone in and using Airplay. On a IPhone go settings, Accessibility, Audio/Visual, noise cancelling.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_White View Post
Just had my 2019 in for several issues (everything was no problem found). One of the issues was that people I call using my hands free in the car, can't hear and understand me. They told me it's because my phone has noise cancelation as does the car so it's creating issues. They told me to turn off noise cancelation on my phone, but I can't turn it off...there is no option. Should I take it to a different dealer? The mic placement is horrific in these cars and should have been put up in the headliner. Is there a mod to do that?
Yet another service department grasping at straws and having NO IDEA what they are talking about.

Noise cancelation is built into MANY phones today. On the rear of the phone, there is a pinhole microphone near the camera(s) that is used to pick up ambient noise in the background and create a sort of "profile" of what noise/sound to filter out from the main microphone. Basically, the ambient noise gets picked up by the rear microphone and the main mic, but your voice is heard significantly louder at the main mic. So, the software in the phone can apply filtering to remove a lot of the ambient sound.

The issue is, it ONLY operates when the phone is in the standard phone mode. Bluetooth headsets, speakerphone, wired heaphones... they all disable the noise cancellation built into the phone.

What specific phone do you have? How is the audio connecting (bluetooth or USB)? Have you tried the phone in other cars? Have you tried other phones in your car?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:28 AM   #5
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
One problem several of us had on the 2016 and 2017 models was the mic coming loose from the clip that holds it in the A pillar so that it doesn't line up with the hole. The glue doesn't hold very good.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
I had the same problem. I don't understand why but, with my iPhone, every time I would start my car, the volume setting on the phone would drop way down. Increasing the phone volume back to where it was solved it. Check your phone volume AFTER you start the car.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote