Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-29-2022, 07:45 PM   #29
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Yes I have set my fastest laps with everything off at tracks that I am familiar with and comfortable taking the extra risk but it might be harder to do that in a ZLE due to the extra horsepower making it easier to oversteer with everything off compared to the SS 1LE. Also the ZLE has PTM calibrated for the SC3R tires rather than the calibration for SC3 tires on the SS 1LE so PTM Race holds you back more on 100 treadwear tires in the SS 1LE than it would in the ZLE.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 09-29-2022 at 10:29 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:24 PM   #30
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Ken did randy do a better time than u in your car at the ridge?
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:48 PM   #31
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalEng View Post
ZLE is faster, IF its on brand new R compound tires and driver knows where 4th gear is...

My PRs were set on corded 3Rs during the last session of the day. They don't actually have to be new.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:50 PM   #32
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
PTM race is very very quick...until it isn't. I used it until it really started to hold me back and can lap quite a bit quicker with all nannies off. I have some fun data that shows throttle and speed data from it in and off.

Ken
The VIR Lightning Lap guys from Car and Driver said the same thing. Fastest laps were done with electronics completely off.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:08 PM   #33
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Good discussion. I have contemplated ordering a ZLE because I think it's not likely to depreciate, but not sure I actually want it due to the extra weight, complexity and consumables costs. My current SS 1LE is more ideal. I'm thinking I might rather have a Cayman or C8 which will be available new for longer, costs less to drive and having a mid engine car would be something different vs my SLE.
Honestly, I wanted a Cayman before I even looked in the direction of a Camaro. No exaggeration, MECHANICALENG, ZL1+911, and I have been beating up on Cayman's all season long. It's really not even close. I saw one well driven Cayman all year and he told me the car felt like it was on the limit. Seeing how slow those things are (all relative of course) completely killed my desire to own one. 987 Cayman, 718 Cayman, GT4 Cayman GT4 (718) Cayman, it didn't matter. They all got rocked by both SS and ZL1 this season. The average event has them giving wave by's every single session.

I won't even get started on the C8 (Stingray). What a major letdown. Like a hot girl with a fatty but can't twerk on the "D". Those cars really can't finish a turn. There are a handful of fast guys out there on them who can ride around the flaws but the vast majority I've seen on track are very slow. there are more videos on YouTube about the "Corvette Guy who wouldn't Wave me by" than ever before.

Quote:

Also with the SS, a cam and headers would get you the same power as a ZLE, they really have +150 hp vs a SS as the supercharger costs 50 hp. The cost of doing this to an LT1 is kind of shocking compared to older Chevy small blocks though. I'd also like to replace the AFM lifters but can't do that without removing the heads. :(
But the same cam and headers on a ZLE gets you near 700hp at the wheels leaving the SS behind yet again. Add E40-E50 and the gap is even wider.

I won't debate the fact that many will go faster in an SS than a ZLE because it's absolutely true. No argument there whatsoever. However, that comes down to one's personal abilities (or lack thereof) to exploit the inherit advantages dialed into the ZLE from the factory.

If ZL1+911 feels that he will go faster in an SS, then yeah, maybe he's right and he will. That ultimately comes down to his ability and comfort level. Just don't chalk it up to the idea that the SS somehow has something that the ZLE lacks. That simply is not the case.

Carry the hell on!
Old 09-29-2022, 10:50 PM   #34
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
Ken did randy do a better time than u in your car at the ridge?
No…..
Old 09-29-2022, 11:38 PM   #35
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
Honestly, I wanted a Cayman before I even looked in the direction of a Camaro. No exaggeration, MECHANICALENG, ZL1+911, and I have been beating up on Cayman's all season long. It's really not even close. I saw one well driven Cayman all year and he told me the car felt like it was on the limit. Seeing how slow those things are (all relative of course) completely killed my desire to own one. 987 Cayman, 718 Cayman, GT4 Cayman GT4 (718) Cayman, it didn't matter. They all got rocked by both SS and ZL1 this season. The average event has them giving wave by's every single session.

I won't even get started on the C8 (Stingray). What a major letdown. Like a hot girl with a fatty but can't twerk on the "D". Those cars really can't finish a turn. There are a handful of fast guys out there on them who can ride around the flaws but the vast majority I've seen on track are very slow. there are more videos on YouTube about the "Corvette Guy who wouldn't Wave me by" than ever before.

But the same cam and headers on a ZLE gets you near 700hp at the wheels leaving the SS behind yet again. Add E40-E50 and the gap is even wider.

I won't debate the fact that many will go faster in an SS than a ZLE because it's absolutely true. No argument there whatsoever. However, that comes down to one's personal abilities (or lack thereof) to exploit the inherit advantages dialed into the ZLE from the factory.

If ZL1+911 feels that he will go faster in an SS, then yeah, maybe he's right and he will. That ultimately comes down to his ability and comfort level. Just don't chalk it up to the idea that the SS somehow has something that the ZLE lacks. That simply is not the case.

Carry the hell on!

Thanks for the perspective on the Cayman and C8. For the Cayman the GTS or GT4 would be the only real choices. Even the GT4 isn't crazy fast but lots of people put it near the top for driving experience. On the C8 I have a hard time believing GM screwed up that bad if you get Z51 + magride. Hopefully something bars and an alignment could compensate for?

The BRZ is actually interesting as it's crazy fast at autox, a STX car with the new RE71RS averages over 1.6g and raw times SS cars this season. The price leaves room for adding power...

On SLE vs ZLE I'm not claiming the SLE is faster anywhere except maybe autox. Just pointing out the differences in power output aren't massive and you can have a lighter NA car with the same power, it just costs nearly $10k for cam, heads and tune. At that point it should compete with a stock ZLE, especially if you also do some minor suspension mods and an ideal alignment. You can end up with a bit better power to weight vs a ZLE, but of course the ZLE has higher limits still with the LT4's fully forged internals. Also the ZLE's M6 is geared very differently vs the SLE, likely a significant factor in making it faster.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:16 AM   #36
NG329

Quote:
On the C8 I have a hard time believing GM screwed up that bad if you get Z51 + magride. Hopefully something bars and an alignment could compensate for?
Brother it's bad. But I wouldn't call it a screw up as opposed to GM marketing it to Boomers and people that will use it primarily on the roads. It's a beautiful car, makes for great conversation, has a cool engine layout, it's new and exciting. It will survive an HPDE with sticky tires and a -3* camber but at the faster end of things it starts to get hairy. I've seen too many of them all over the place.

Quote:
The BRZ is actually interesting as it's crazy fast at autox, a STX car with the new RE71RS averages over 1.6g and raw times SS cars this season. The price leaves room for adding power...
I like the BRZ/GR86. Really cool for autocross and cars you can have fun with without the risk of going to jail. I play with the idea of getting one in manual to use as a daily. The artificial exhaust note is kinda of cheesy and the car really is dog slow on track, but it's a nice little backroad blaster.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:03 AM   #37
MechanicalEng

Drives: SS1LE
C8 is a bit faster in straights due to more HP, lower weight, better Cd and DCT trans.
718 GT4 is a bit faster overall but a much better sports car overall than any Camaro
981 GT4 is about the same as a Camaro SS1LE at the track but again a much better sports car overall. IMO
MechanicalEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:16 AM   #38
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
^^Not super great examples good driving. The standard C8 has potential, but needs a few upgrades to make it happen. (AP brake kit and MCS suspension as an example)

Ken
Old 09-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #39
NG329

Quote:
718 GT4 is a bit faster overall but a much better sports car overall than any Camaro
981 GT4 is about the same as a Camaro SS1LE at the track but again a much better sports car overall. IMO
Awwww hellz naw you done gone and lost your GOT Damn mind! Hahaha

That 7:16 Nurburgring time says otherwise. Haha
Old 10-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #40
NG329

Quote:
C8 is a bit faster in straights due to more HP, lower weight, better Cd and DCT trans.
Here you go Greg. Basically $50k-$60k for 1 sec/lap. I'm not sure I'd call it the better all around car. Seems like you're getting similar performance while saving the cost of a Supra. hahahahaha

718 Cayman Lap:

SS-1LE Lap

Prior Generation Cayman GT4

Last edited by NG329; 10-01-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:29 PM   #41
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
I believe the gt4 is sock with cup 2s. If you put cup 2 on 1le, it will be faster
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #42
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Throttle House found that Cup 2 tires on the SS 1LE were only 0.04 seconds faster than the stock SC3s on the same short track but the laps were 2 years apart with a different ambient temperature so it was not a perfect comparison.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=y9gCHoBrflk&t=18m22s
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote