Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-28-2023, 01:08 AM   #43
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I bought my last car (02 WS6) down in TX and drove it back to IL in mid-April. It was about ~1200 miles / 17 hours. It was a fun time and I would absolutely do it again. I went with a friend which helped. I stopped actually in St Louis, which was like 3/4 of the way home. ~12 hours is about my limit that I can drive in a day. Stayed at a nicer hotel with a door man and paid him some cash to keep my car up front and keep an eye on it. Did the last 5 hours home the next day, but could have driven another 12 if I had to.

All that said... your drive is a bit of a different story. You're much more likely to run into bad weather (I got lucky and it was nice the days I drove back). And it looks like it would be roughly 32 hours, double what I had to do. You're looking at 3 long days of just driving, plus the stops you are wanting to make for service. Probably looking at a 4 day deal. Yeah idk if it was in the summer I would still say do it, but, as shocked as I am to say this, I would ship it if I was you. It would suck if you hit bad weather and crashed your car or something. Just not worth it. Ship it home and take it for a long cruise in the summer.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:08 AM   #44
Konnerfallos1

Drives: Camaro
I would take a truck and trailer down and tow it back (ideally). That way you can see the car upon delivery and don't have the risk associated with rock tips or damage over 2000 miles driving it home. Also you can keep the delivery mileage a bit and it would give you time to properly protect it (if desired) with PPF. Also, driving 2000 miles in those seats doesn't sound fun, I have done around a quarter that before they starts to get a bit uncomfortable. If this isn't possible then I would try to ship it over driving it back, that would be my absolute last resort option if I were in your position, maybe see if the dealer has a hookup for shipping.
Konnerfallos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:36 AM   #45
Carzzy

Drives: '24 Camaro 2SS Conv. & '21Blazer
This time of year anything can happen with the weather.....I would have it shipped.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:29 PM   #46
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Too bad this thread wasn't opened as a poll, by the way.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:58 PM   #47
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes I agree!
Old 03-28-2023, 05:15 PM   #48
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I wouldn't consider driving a ZL1 across the continental divide in March or April. You are going to encounter winter conditions, meaning loss of control and exposure to road salt; not a good start for your baby's life. The car should be shipped in an enclosed trailer. It will cost over two grand, but compare that to gas, food and lodging, and priceless peace of mind.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:04 AM   #49
Mavrick81

Drives: 2017 Prius, 2018 Armada
Wow, lots of feedback. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I've been pretty busy with work lately otherwise I would have been more active in the thread.

As far as what I have decided, I am going to go ahead and just ship it. The weather gives me the biggest concern, and feel like I would be too stressed to really enjoy the trip. Plus I wouldn't really have the opportunity to enjoy the trip as I would be doing it as quick as possible. I have driven cross country four times now, and one of these times I would like to actually take my take and enjoy the drive.

Buying so far away wasn't ideal, but there were no real options out here in Washington. There are no high volume Camaro dealers, and every one I inquired with required an ADM. I got in touch with Jim Trenary Chevrolet after a recommendation from another member here and they have been easy to work with. I put my order in with them in the beginning of November, and it was built the end of February. They also will accept supplier discount.

So yes, I will miss out on the experience of walking into the dealership and driving off with my car, but after the news last week of the Camaro coming to an end, I am just happy to be getting exactly what I wanted and not missing out (or settling).

Eric
Mavrick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:40 AM   #50
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick81 View Post
Wow, lots of feedback. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I've been pretty busy with work lately otherwise I would have been more active in the thread.

As far as what I have decided, I am going to go ahead and just ship it. The weather gives me the biggest concern, and feel like I would be too stressed to really enjoy the trip. Plus I wouldn't really have the opportunity to enjoy the trip as I would be doing it as quick as possible. I have driven cross country four times now, and one of these times I would like to actually take my take and enjoy the drive.

Buying so far away wasn't ideal, but there were no real options out here in Washington. There are no high volume Camaro dealers, and every one I inquired with required an ADM. I got in touch with Jim Trenary Chevrolet after a recommendation from another member here and they have been easy to work with. I put my order in with them in the beginning of November, and it was built the end of February. They also will accept supplier discount.

So yes, I will miss out on the experience of walking into the dealership and driving off with my car, but after the news last week of the Camaro coming to an end, I am just happy to be getting exactly what I wanted and not missing out (or settling).

Eric
I think that is the right choice. Now... Just make sure you hire a reputable shipper!
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:32 AM   #51
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I think that is the right choice. Now... Just make sure you hire a reputable shipper!
Given OP's circumstances I wholeheartedly agree. Shipping is the best choice.

OP good luck in the process. I've had two new cars shipped to me with no issues. I hope you have the same results.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:02 AM   #52
vj123

Drives: 2023 ZL1
I have bought most of my vehicles out of state and drove back home (max distance was 750 miles).

In your case, i would ship.
vj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:19 AM   #53
eCkO

Drives: '23 Sharkskin Gray LT1 RS "JAWZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick81 View Post

Eric
+1 on the best possible decision. You're right, you likely wouldn't be able to enjoy the trip back. I'm excited for you to receive your baby so post lots of pics when she arrives. Hopefully they can at least get a delivery video for you. Good luck.
eCkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:26 AM   #54
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Fellow Washingtonian, born and raised lived there til 2 years ago ,Renton / Newcastle.
I'm glad you made the decision to ship your ZL1.
I hope you get a dry sunny spring to go along with a normal summer. That will give you an extended cruising season . Again great dicision and enjoy . Happy Motoring