Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
Kid JDM

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 RS
V6 M6 gear stick suddenly 'loose' in every gear?

2016 V6 RS w/ manual transmission
40,000 miles, no modifications

Doesn't matter what gear I'm in, the stick flops around like its still in neutral. Moving it all the way left into reverse sounds like something's banging against the transmission tunnel.

But it still goes into gear, doesn't pop out, no grinding or any other noises. I brought it to the dealer, their transmission tech says he's never seen anything like it. Also said it was still safe to drive while I wait for an opening in his schedule to bring it back.

The service writer hints that it may not be covered under my remaining powertrain warranty if its linkage and not the actual transmission.
Kid JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
verdicaysen

Drives: 18' 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
My wife just told me a story about a little "rubber bootie" (her words, highly technical) that eventually dry rotted in the linkage connecting to the shifter that she had in an old car that they ended up zip tying into place so that it didn't flop around anymore. They did that instead of getting it repaired because the fix was more expensive than the beater (old Subaru Justy) she was driving at the time. I don't know how valid this story is - just thought i'd pass it along. If there's something connecting the shifter to the linkage that holds it into place that has dry rotted or torn or broken then it would make sense why it hangs so loose. I'm no car mechanic though.

https://youtu.be/IaDZJK2tWqQ?t=17

Video evidence.

Last edited by verdicaysen; 10-11-2018 at 05:37 PM. Reason: More information
verdicaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Go under the car and look for 2 bolts. One in front of the fulcrum, and one behind. They're on a silver circular like plate. Mine fell out once, and I had to pull upwards on my stick to shift in the down gears. Don't remember if it was super sloppy side to side tho.

http://files.dpbrands.com/hurst/inst...ns/3916031.pdf

Step 29 for reference

Your service writer is on crack. I'm not sure why the linkage would not be covered. Thats a critical part to the manual power train lol. Kinda like saying your motor isn't covered if a rod is bad (assuming your stock)

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
Kid JDM

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 RS
Service tech said the bushings are shot and wants to replace with Part no 24279847 - Control Asm-Manual Transmission.
Kid JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:03 PM   #5
Mellowjive

Drives: '18 RS 2LT, V6 M6, NPP, CAI, Brembo
floppy shifter solution

I had the same problem with a floppy shifter and created the solution after many hours of figuring out the problem and testing... New aluminum linkage bushings. Because guess what, when you spend the $2k to install the new shifter it will just happen again. This is the permanent fix.

video of mine installed:
https://youtu.be/HJQYTn8phkY

Order Here. Next batch arriving end of December
https://www.fullmetalbushing.com/

other posting with this same discussion:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=607655&page=3
Attached Images

Last edited by Mellowjive; 12-08-2022 at 12:35 PM. Reason: updated link
Mellowjive is offline   Reply With Quote