Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
pedrosenedesi

Drives: camaro 2012 ss automatic
Unhappy Camaro 2012 SS Automatic Rough Shifting

Hey guys, I have a 2012 Camaro with 15,000 miles on it. (yes, it's a low mileage car). Ever since I got the car in 2014, I've noticed that when the trans shifts from 2-3, it's really a rough shift, you feel like a bobble head. I had a brand new one in 2012 and I don't remember it being like that at all, even on full throttle. The one I have now even with half pedal, it stills feels brutal. And recently, when the car shifts from 2-3, theres an audible CLICK from under the car, even while just cruising. Anybody ever had this? should I be worried, or is it nothing to worry about? Thanks
pedrosenedesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Do you know the history of the car, is it tuned?

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #3
pedrosenedesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Do you know the history of the car, is it tuned?
Yeah... When I was buying the car, the previous owner said that the car was tuned, ECU and TCU. I asked if he could get the stock tunes back on the car and he said yes, that he was going to do it because he got it tuned less then 30 days ago and that the tuner wasn't going to charge him anything.
When I picked up the car he said that he got it back to stock, but I noticed that something was off in the shifting and I actually went to the shop that he initially tuned. When I asked the manager if he got the car back to stock, he gave me a hard time, I felt like something was off. He just kept saying ''ah you know that we have cars pushing a lot more horsepower with the stock trans with no issues, right? why would your car have a trans issue?''. But he did say that he got it back to stock, not sure if I believe him. Do you think it could be a TCU tune issue? the car feels like its banging gears...

thanks for your time.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Yeah it kind of sounds like there's just increased shift pressures still on the car.

If you want to drop the pan and do a quick filter / fluid swap it's pretty easy and you can at least make sure that the fluid is clean.

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
With the increased pressure on your clutch packs it'll wear them down faster. So the tuner is right in the sense that it wont have issues but the only downside is that clutch packs will have to be replaced sooner. Aside from increased wear from a properly tuned tranny, a badly tuned transmission will dramatically decrease the life of the overall transmission.

When I first had my tranny tuned the 1-2 shift was very aggressive even during parking lot driving. 1-2 shift near full throttle was not possible anymore and 2-3 chirped the oem 275 tire with no performance mods, just a tranny tune. After two years of this tranny tune it was noticeably become mellower/smoother and I think that is from the increased wear from the higher pressures on the clutch packs. As for the click sound, I hear a clamping sound on the 1-2 shift under light throttle I don't know if that would be the same sound you're hearing. If it is, I wouldn't consider it much of a click rather a small thump.
redrum_maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
pedrosenedesi

Thanks guys, I'll go to another tuner to see if they can revert to the stock tune, and I'll ask him about the clicking I hear. If anything happens I will post here again.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:40 AM   #7
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Yeah it sounds like increased line pressure to me. If you go to a good tuner he should drive around with you and then he can determine the correct line pressure your looking for.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, automatic, click, noise, rough