Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
6th Gen SS Ghost Cam?

Is a ghost cam tune available for 6th gen Camaros like it was on the 5th gen.?
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Which is the ghost cam? There is supposedly a tune the dealer can install with the GM CAI.

There is a GM performance cam but its not street legal and voids warrany

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
He’s talking about a tune that emulates the choppiness of an aftermarket camshaft by manipulating the VVT values at idle. It was popular on Mustangs, as well.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
That's as poser as putting SS emblems on your V6 or four banger. I really cant understand why someone would purposefully screw up their cars's operating efficiency to emulate something they are not. Dont cheap out. Build a real motor that does it for a reason. Your right foot and butt will thank you.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That's as poser as putting SS emblems on your V6 or four banger. I really cant understand why someone would purposefully screw up their cars's operating efficiency to emulate something they are not. Dont cheap out. Build a real motor that does it for a reason. Your right foot and butt will thank you.

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
I didn't know they were available on the LS3. I thought it was a V6 thing.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
a ghost cam tune is absolutely terrible for your engine. Most places that I knew that would do this some time ago, won't do it anymore due to that.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
These cars come from the factory already with a real built motor that easily outperforms the oldies that idled like that. The reason the new ones don't idle like that is because they come with variable valve timing and not just a set cam like the oldies. If its poser to want to tune your car to sound like that then may as well not alter the exhaust mufflers for sound effect either. Also if I remember correctly the Ghost can had no detrimental effect of performance other than a lopey idle. GM delivers these cars from the factory for smooth idle because thats what most want. They probably could just as easily release them with a lopey idle.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #10
Amxguy1970

Drives: V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
These cars come from the factory already with a real built motor that easily outperforms the oldies that idled like that. The reason the new ones don't idle like that is because they come with variable valve timing and not just a set cam like the oldies. If its poser to want to tune your car to sound like that then may as well not alter the exhaust mufflers for sound effect either. Also if I remember correctly the Ghost can had no detrimental effect of performance other than a lopey idle. GM delivers these cars from the factory for smooth idle because thats what most want. They probably could just as easily release them with a lopey idle.

First it doesn't come with a "real built motor" from the factory, it performs well stock and modded to a point but built it is not (for the most part out performs the oldies). Second, it wouldn't sound "cammed" with the stock cam in there regardless of tunning (go check out the stock specs), so yes tunning it to sound cammed without it being cammed is poser. They certainly could release them with a lopey idle, it would just require a cam change...

Tyler
Amxguy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amxguy1970 View Post
First it doesn't come with a "real built motor" from the factory, it performs well stock and modded to a point but built it is not (for the most part out performs the oldies). Second, it wouldn't sound "cammed" with the stock cam in there regardless of tunning (go check out the stock specs), so yes tunning it to sound cammed without it being cammed is poser. They certainly could release them with a lopey idle, it would just require a cam change...

Tyler
I dunno about that. Your average car doesnt make half of 455 HP. It may not be built it terms of aftermarket LS/LT equipment but it is definitely quite a competent machine for a factory car.

As for the sound, its not something I would do... I can't imagine what kind of internal damage you may do by misconfiguring the VVT just to get a lopey idle. I'd go for the cam route and a proper tune -- but I was also kind of guessing some may attempt this in effort to avoid voiding their warranty if they can somehow hide the flash.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #12
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
cam it and call it a day dont be a mustang , get the real sound and power your car deserves.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:37 PM   #13
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
cam it and call it a day dont be a mustang , get the real sound and power your car deserves.

https://www.facebook.com/HeroldMotor.../?locale=ms_MY
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:55 PM   #14
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
you can do it by adjusting the Idle speed control to fight itself and constantly search for idle. It does this by rapidly advancing and retarding the timing. See the below screenshot. While you may fool a couple of people, most car guys will tell right away its fake, and others will just think something is wrong with your car.
Attached Images

2022 GMC 2500 "Blue"
2022 ZL1 1LE 6spd "Rapid Blue"
2023 ZL1 1LE Auto Rapid Blue (ordered)
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote