Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #57
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
There is some great information on this thread! I believe without a doubt thay the Roto-fab CAI will continue to be the top performing CAI.

Thanks for your interest everyone!
Michael
I will say one thing for sure.

I've talked to a few different mfg's and dealers and hands-down, Michael at Roto-Fab was the definition of customer service. Patient with my questions and concerns, responded quickly. Just from a customer service standpoint, I'm really leaning towards Roto-Fab. 1-2 imaginary HP doesn't really matter if customer service sucks and you're not happy with the product.

For the record, I have no connection with Roto-Fab or any dealers. The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone. I have not been compensated in any way nor have I even purchased one yet.
1morproject
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #58
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
I have heard of some CAIs setting codes and running very rich. The Roto-fab system has never set a code, in over 100 prototype configurations, and 10,000+ miles of testing! But our goal wasn't to "not set a code". We mechanically tuned this system to run efficiently and effectively with the stock calibration.

After extensively data logging with our CAI, a very knowledgeable forum member had this to say about the system:

"Your intake is still the only one I would recommend to anyone. The lack of any MAF skew is exactly why anyone unwilling to tune should select Rotofab. The FI install proves it brings value to a modified car." -tsloper

Thanks for your interest!
Michael
first my setup: front cat delete, HP Tuner set to turn off the rear 02s, MSD intake manifold. Yes one day I'll just weld bungs behind the stock 2nd cats and see if a 100% stock program will / will not set off codes. Pure laziness keeps me from it.

CAI CAI will once in a while throw a lean code with the above setup.
Mishmotto will run rich to very rich with above setup.

I did not attempt to tune the CAI CAI, I have a decent working MAF tune for the Mishimoto.

My current setup, my own tune using a wideband and data logging (pure armature here), MSD, Mishimoto, front cat deletes the car M6, is traction limited in 1st and parts of 2nd. It was NOT this way stock. How much HP dunno. But clearly more that just butt dyno.

When I get off my lazy backside, I'll send my Mishimoto to TSloper for further testing. I'll probably mod the stock box with green filter for a while for grins...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #59
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
first my setup: front cat delete, HP Tuner set to turn off the rear 02s, MSD intake manifold. Yes one day I'll just weld bungs behind the stock 2nd cats and see if a 100% stock program will / will not set off codes. Pure laziness keeps me from it.

CAI CAI will once in a while throw a lean code with the above setup.
Mishmotto will run rich to very rich with above setup.

I did not attempt to tune the CAI CAI, I have a decent working MAF tune for the Mishimoto.

My current setup, my own tune using a wideband and data logging (pure armature here), MSD, Mishimoto, front cat deletes the car M6, is traction limited in 1st and parts of 2nd. It was NOT this way stock. How much HP dunno. But clearly more that just butt dyno.

When I get off my lazy backside, I'll send my Mishimoto to TSloper for further testing. I'll probably mod the stock box with green filter for a while for grins...
I would be interested to see how the Roto-fab system performs with your setup!

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #60
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
I will say one thing for sure.

I've talked to a few different mfg's and dealers and hands-down, Michael at Roto-Fab was the definition of customer service. Patient with my questions and concerns, responded quickly. Just from a customer service standpoint, I'm really leaning towards Roto-Fab. 1-2 imaginary HP doesn't really matter if customer service sucks and you're not happy with the product.

For the record, I have no connection with Roto-Fab or any dealers. The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone. I have not been compensated in any way nor have I even purchased one yet.
That means alot to me, thank you for sharing!

Michael
Old 11-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #61
Roto-fab 1

For those following this thread, here are some impressive results from CNC Motors in Korea. The Roto-fab CAI gained 11hp over stock! And though the tq. units are not in ft.lb, the graph shows the Roto-fab system clearly carrying out higher than stock throughout the RPM range.

Michael
Old 11-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #62
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
does it maintain that after a few hundred miles? If the explanation of how the ECM works is true, wont that difference automatically adjust over time to reach whatever optimum parameters are set, and negate any impact the CAI makes?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, I just haven't seen any long-term (adjusted) comparisons made
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #63
Roto-fab 1

The Roto-fab CAI performs well after a thorough ECM "learning". We tested over 100 configurations. And put over 14,000 miles on the car. When we found the ideal configuration, we drove the car for days to prove out the performance data.

Michael
Old 11-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #64
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
Looks great. Impressions?
I have been curious about this intake so you are saying that the exhaust is that much louder, you have a sound clip and do you have any other mods, or is it just the intake making it louder
Old 11-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #65
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
afe power

Sound clip bruh......
Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #66
bluegixxer007

Drives: Audi A4 3.2L
I was considering adding a CIA to my 2017 Camaro SS 1LE, but in researching this, it's really hard to find unbiased and professional reviews.

And there is so much marketing posts from "customer success stories", that it's even hard to know what's verified or even true, and not just a marketer posting stories into blogs for the sake of marketing.

What would be awesome would be an professional review from an independent and reputable automotive journalism group like Car & Driver, Motor Trend (maybe even the guys at Engine Masters or something?), etc.

- is it even worth while having on an LT1 engine that is otherwise stock?
- what are the cons of this? (I track my car, so I'm interested in every last but I can get out of it, but I don't want to trade engine reliability for that given I do drive the car hard on the track. I figure that there is a reason that manufactures don't tweak every last HP from an engine. It's likely nothing to do with creating a 3rd party marketplace for add-ons, but rather in making sure the car operates reliably because reliability problems reported by reasonably-reputable 3rd party automotive journalists can affect sales. I think that's part of the reason for their engineering decisions to be honest.)
- are the "posted gains" from a manufacture based on an "N of 1" use case, or based on an average after for example, testing this on 10-20 randomly selected cars from willing car owners? So, when Roto-fab posts their gains from their product, and Phastek sells a box that posts higher gains, are these "unicorn" cases or consumer expected averages?

It's hard to trust opinions on forums or opinions of 3rd party manufactures entirely. Just so much noise to cut through. Am I the only one with these kinds of concerns?
bluegixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #67
cmking26

Drives: 2018 Arctic Blue SS Recaro's
I put a flowmaster CAI on my ss today. I couldn't be happier. I don't know if I really gained any horsepower, no dynno to check. I love the look of it under the hood and the sound it makes pulling in air is awesome to me. I think the looks and sound are more of a draw for some of us than the actual power numbers.
cmking26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #68
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegixxer007 View Post
I was considering adding a CIA to my 2017 Camaro SS 1LE, but in researching this, it's really hard to find unbiased and professional reviews.

And there is so much marketing posts from "customer success stories", that it's even hard to know what's verified or even true, and not just a marketer posting stories into blogs for the sake of marketing.

What would be awesome would be an professional review from an independent and reputable automotive journalism group like Car & Driver, Motor Trend (maybe even the guys at Engine Masters or something?), etc.

- is it even worth while having on an LT1 engine that is otherwise stock?
- what are the cons of this? (I track my car, so I'm interested in every last but I can get out of it, but I don't want to trade engine reliability for that given I do drive the car hard on the track. I figure that there is a reason that manufactures don't tweak every last HP from an engine. It's likely nothing to do with creating a 3rd party marketplace for add-ons, but rather in making sure the car operates reliably because reliability problems reported by reasonably-reputable 3rd party automotive journalists can affect sales. I think that's part of the reason for their engineering decisions to be honest.)
- are the "posted gains" from a manufacture based on an "N of 1" use case, or based on an average after for example, testing this on 10-20 randomly selected cars from willing car owners? So, when Roto-fab posts their gains from their product, and Phastek sells a box that posts higher gains, are these "unicorn" cases or consumer expected averages?

It's hard to trust opinions on forums or opinions of 3rd party manufactures entirely. Just so much noise to cut through. Am I the only one with these kinds of concerns?
Rotofab has been tested independently and has proven on the Dyno and track to make power. it's only 6-12whp on a stock vehicle, but as you do more mods the gains increase. I can tell you this. I am now hitting 100kpa on the map in some cells when logging where before it never went above 96kpa. If you know anything about engines. Anything lower then 100kpa means there is some restriction in the intake. Now 96kpa is not bad, but 99-100 is better and means there is nothing being left on the table.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:06 AM   #69
Miami_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
A lot of people went with or will recommend Roto Fab. I went with K&N Blackhawk because I trust K&N and got a good deal on here from a used one. I have absolutely no issued with my K&N.
Miami_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #70
Buckscamaro

Drives: 2016 ss camaro
I have the afe. Looks clean and performs well. I dont have a base line of before the intake. However, i made 449/446 with it and some supporting mods. Like e85 and exhaust. My buddie has a dyno shop, if i can get my hands on a used roto fab, for cheap, i will definitely do the comparison. As i prefer the look of the rotofab over the afe. But it has to be worth some noticeable gains.

My afe was bought used on ebay for 200 shipped, couldn't steer away.
Buckscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote