Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #15
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth View Post
To answer, since I got distracted last night.

It is running on the stock thermostat, and it was suggested that I do get the 160 degreethat, which I'll probably get here soon enough.

The car can barely stay in idle traffic for a minute or two without sending my coolant, oil and trans gauges up in temp, which is really bothering me since I do have auxiliary coolers just for the oil and trans. I'll do some more looking into it, I'm just really worried about the car.

It gets really bad when I come off of highway speeds and into any normal street...
Up in temp, you mean more than normal and climbing?

Are you fans even kicking on? It could be an air pocket, but usually they work themselves out. Are you having to top off your coolant quite often? Are both the upper and lower radiator hoses hot? Maybe a stuck thermostat. No matter what T-stat is used it shouldnt get that hot. What does your oil look like? I honestly wouldn't drive it until you figure it out.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #16
Teeth

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
Up in temp, you mean more than normal and climbing?

Are you fans even kicking on? It could be an air pocket, but usually they work themselves out. Are you having to top off your coolant quite often? Are both the upper and lower radiator hoses hot? Maybe a stuck thermostat. No matter what T-stat is used it shouldnt get that hot. What does your oil look like? I honestly wouldn't drive it until you figure it out.
I dont have much of a choice since it is my daily now. The temps get higher and higher it seems, climbing at the worst times

Thinking I need a better Tstat for sure... My coolant is doing well enough, I'll go out and buy another gallon since I ran out of the last one. I can hear the fans working hard when I shut off the car.
L99 to LS3 conversion, Vararam ram air intake, BTR Nightfury cam, Johnson lifters, LS7 injectors, Circle D 3200 stall converter, Kooks LT headers, Custom X-pipe
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #17
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
I dont have much of a choice since it is my daily now. The temps get higher and higher it seems, climbing at the worst times

Thinking I need a better Tstat for sure... My coolant is doing well enough, I'll go out and buy another gallon since I ran out of the last one. I can hear the fans working hard when I shut off the car.
So you're constantly adding coolant??? That shouldn't be happening! Who did your cam?!?! I would be taking it back to them. Did you check your oil and make sure it doesn't look like a vanilla milkshake? A 160 stat will help with lowering temps, but only if the rest of the cooling system is working properly.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #18
rdavis

Drives: 2012 SS
Call me crazy, but I run a 180 stat with lowered fan settings. Works great. When moving runs at a solid 183. In traffic runs the mid 190s. Didn't want to go too cold.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #19
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis View Post
Call me crazy, but I run a 180 stat with lowered fan settings. Works great. When moving runs at a solid 183. In traffic runs the mid 190s. Didn't want to go too cold.
That's not crazy. I don't see below 190 or above 200 with a 160 stat and my fan settings.

More to come.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #20
Teeth

Quote:
So you're constantly adding coolant??? That shouldn't be happening! Who did your cam?!?! I would be taking it back to them. Did you check your oil and make sure it doesn't look like a vanilla milkshake? A 160 stat will help with lowering temps, but only if the rest of the cooling system is working properly.
Sooo....my fans never turn on I figured. lol

And no, I have coolant in the thing now, the oil is fine and so are all the other fluids.

I think I just need a better Tstat for the car since I'm running this sort of setup, everything is fine at highway speed. But then my next question is why is my foot getting so hot when the car is on?
L99 to LS3 conversion, Vararam ram air intake, BTR Nightfury cam, Johnson lifters, LS7 injectors, Circle D 3200 stall converter, Kooks LT headers, Custom X-pipe
Old 03-09-2020, 05:10 AM   #21
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:

And no, I have coolant in the thing now, the oil is fine and so are all the other fluids.

I think I just need a better Tstat for the car since I'm running this sort of setup, everything is fine at highway speed. But then my next question is why is my foot getting so hot when the car is on?
Even with a factory Tstat, the car shouldn't get that hot. You didn't do much in mods that would create more heat that the factory system can't handle. There's something wrong. If when you're not moving and you're heating up, maybe your fans are coming on at too high a temp.

What do you mean your foot is getting hot? Do you have the air on?

More to come.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:18 AM   #22
Teeth

Quote:
Even with a factory Tstat, the car shouldn't get that hot. You didn't do much in mods that would create more heat that the factory system can't handle. There's something wrong. If when you're not moving and you're heating up, maybe your fans are coming on at too high a temp.

What do you mean your foot is getting hot? Do you have the air on?
I have the AC on, but that shouldn't make my feet hot at all, it gets worse when the car runs hotter. I know I need a replacement oil cooler for the engine, but would that really increase the heat so much?
Old 03-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #23
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Ok rifling through this, Teeth it sounds like your fan's are not working at all. That is a problem you must have your fans operational for slow speeds and stopped driving, get that fixed asap. A Tstat won't help any of that if your fans are not working. a 160 degree seems kinda pointless, I have one and the cooling system doesn't have the ability to keep it that cool, I run about 180, so 180 Tstat would be fine. As far as your foot getting hot, how hot are we talking? You are now running headers and if they aren't ceramic coated headers run HOT and can actually glow under WOT and that could be what you are feeling especially if you removed and heat shielding.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #24
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Why is it so hard to get a simple answer? I think it has been asked many times what kind of coolant temps are you getting when you say 'higher'?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #25
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
The basic reasoning behind Dex-Cool is that it is a phosphate and silica based chemical, rather than ethelyne glycol, like the green stuff.

Dex-cool is used because it inhibits corrosion in aluminum engines and engines with aluminum parts. The green stuff will change color in an iron block but will not change color in an aluminum engine, when it starts to corrode.

The downside to Dex-Cool is that it will sludge when exposed to air, and of course, if combined with the green stuff.

Dex-Cool got a bad rap in the late 1990's and early 2000's when it was discovered, or blamed for intake gasket failures on certain V6 engines that had coolant flowing through the intake.

Is better to go green? I would say no, not really. The Dex-Cool is purposed for aluminum engines, engines that are designed to run hotter than the old school iron blocks. The system in the aluminum engine is a high pressure system, which also inhibits the coolant from reaching the boiling point.

Also, given what can happen if you switch to the ethylene Glycol coolant with out completely, totally, and absolutely flushing the engine of the Dex-Cool and any residual silicates, I would say staying cool with Dex is the way to go.

If temps in the engine are hotter than normal, it's because there is an issue in the system. Changing the coolant is not going to fix that.

But that's just how I look at it.
Pretty comprehensive summary of the bad press DexCool got. I've not been a big fan since I replaced intake manifold gaskets on a '98 Grand Am 3.1L V6, '00 Blazer 4.3L V6, '01 Impala 3.8L V6, and found out that the '02 Grand Am 3.4L V6 I bought at the time had just had the gaskets replaced for the same reason.

I wouldn't go so far as to say with air it sludges either, but I definitely agree with the "Green" and DexCool playing well together. The radiator shop I went to saw the issue regularly and heavily advised that if converting to be sure that ALL of the DexCool was out before converting to "Green".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Why is it so hard to get a simple answer? I think it has been asked many times what kind of coolant temps are you getting when you say 'higher'?
I was wondering the same thing as to specific numbers of "higher". 200*F is higher than normal, but still in standard operating temps. However, 200*F on a 160*F thermostat is reason for concern.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #26
Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Ok rifling through this, Teeth it sounds like your fan's are not working at all. That is a problem you must have your fans operational for slow speeds and stopped driving, get that fixed asap. A Tstat won't help any of that if your fans are not working. a 160 degree seems kinda pointless, I have one and the cooling system doesn't have the ability to keep it that cool, I run about 180, so 180 Tstat would be fine. As far as your foot getting hot, how hot are we talking? You are now running headers and if they aren't ceramic coated headers run HOT and can actually glow under WOT and that could be what you are feeling especially if you removed and heat shielding.
It probably just is my headers getting hot. I don't think there is enough heat shielding by my feet now that I think of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
240F
Old 03-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #27
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
240 is pretty darn hot for casual driving, even in traffic. I think you need to do some basic troubleshooting before you cook your engine. All air out of system. Fans coming on and spinning in correct direction, note temp they come on. Fans coming on with AC selected. Good airflow through radiator. T-stat opening. Ignition timing correct. I've had to do some pretty hillbilly tricks on other vehicle types trying to figure hot issues including driving with no hood and 12v direct to fans for temporary full time operation. I wouldn't drive your Camaro for transpo until problem is fixed and I would definitely not run the AC. Get a rental or something. You live in AZ, you need to fix this soon before the weather gets toasty.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #28
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:

Quote:

How do you hear the fans working hard but they’re not coming on at all? Most of this thread doesn’t make any sense...
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote