Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-29-2022, 09:51 PM   #1
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
first track day completed

Was a long fun day at the track on Saturday. Got 5 20 minute runs in.

Being I just got the car in October and it has never really been pushed since the engine was built I was a little concerned about how it would handle being pushed for 20 minutes, but everything ran great and it performed better than I could handle. I got faster each session, but still did not push the car to anywhere near it's limits. Thanks to the suggestions here brakes worked great and never got soft or over heated. The 8 speed got tripped up a couple times in the wrong gear but that also could be due to the circle D converter and stability control kicked in a couple times.

I think I might be more interested in this than drag racing can't wait until time frees up and I can hit another track day.
American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:23 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Glad you had a good time. Track driving can be addictive.

You are making a lot of power. I imagine it must be hard to put the power down coming out of corners (traction control would intervene or if you had that turned off, would have to be very patient with the throttle). Were you able to use it all?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:35 PM   #3
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Good for you OP. Glad you had fun. It's very addicting. I wish my work schedule allowed for more track time (lucky to get 1 day a month).
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:06 AM   #4
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Congrats. You did what 99% of owners never will. Grattan is a great track. I was hoping to be there this weekend but just couldn’t get free. I have a buddy that was there and he said it was awesome.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:05 PM   #5
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
One of my home tracks too. I live in Canton. Try Gingerman and Mid Ohio as well when you get a chance. M1 and Waterford are a waist of time in my opinion.

Mid O is the best I think. Proper curbing, longer, lots of elevation change, plus it’s a home to many racing series.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 05-30-2022 at 02:21 PM.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Glad you had a good time. Track driving can be addictive.

You are making a lot of power. I imagine it must be hard to put the power down coming out of corners (traction control would intervene or if you had that turned off, would have to be very patient with the throttle). Were you able to use it all?
Yes had to really watch getting on it too much as the centri charger hits pretty hard once it starts to spool up. Only place I could put it to the floor was on the 1/2 mile straight away. Stability control did kick in a couple times when I came into turns a little too hot.

I think I could have been faster without the blower and the converter, for now at least. That and I think I still had too much air in the tires, I aired them down to 30 cold and the were hanging around 35 when they got warm.

I think my summer will allow for 2 more track days to hopefully get it dialed in a little better.
American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:36 PM   #7
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Welcome to the party! Glad your first event went well!
Old 05-30-2022, 08:01 PM   #8
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe View Post
Yes had to really watch getting on it too much as the centri charger hits pretty hard once it starts to spool up. Only place I could put it to the floor was on the 1/2 mile straight away. Stability control did kick in a couple times when I came into turns a little too hot.

I think I could have been faster without the blower and the converter, for now at least. That and I think I still had too much air in the tires, I aired them down to 30 cold and the were hanging around 35 when they got warm.

I think my summer will allow for 2 more track days to hopefully get it dialed in a little better.
Tires at 35 or even 36 when warm/hot is just about right.

If you don't already know, you'll start to learn the difference in what if feels like when traction control intervenes vs stability control. Traction control retards timing on the engine (and therefore limits torque/power) when it senses the real wheels slipping under acceleration. It makes a distinct kind of low level "groaning" noise, and power seems reduced relative to accelerator input.

It seems you are familiar with stability control (rear wheel braking to stop the car from oversteering). I've found the Camaro (at least the 1LE) normally wants to do mild understeer on corner entry. You can of course provoke oversteer on corner entry if you are still on the brakes too much as you turn into a corner, or release them too abruptly when you are already turned in. I'm guessing you may have been doing that, as you don't normally use the throttle during the corner entry phase. Just the right amount of trail braking can result in a beautiful, controlled pivot on a dime. But it takes lots of practice.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:55 PM   #9
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
One of my home tracks too. I live in Canton. Try Gingerman and Mid Ohio as well when you get a chance. M1 and Waterford are a waist of time in my opinion.

Mid O is the best I think. Proper curbing, longer, lots of elevation change, plus it’s a home to many racing series.
Hold up.
I did Waterford recently and had a humiliating time. Without sharing too many details because I'm licking my wounds today and trying to right my mind, why is the hills a waste of time?
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:30 PM   #10
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
Hold up.
I did Waterford recently and had a humiliating time. Without sharing too many details because I'm licking my wounds today and trying to right my mind, why is the hills a waste of time?
Perhaps because it's a very short course and is mostly all turns with few straight aways. While the Camaro can be a corner carver and that certainly can be a lot of fun in it's own right, a track like this (short or no straights) doesn't provide much of an opportunity to take advantage of WOT, stretch her legs, and generate some speed from the V8.

By contrast, this seems like a track that is well suited to a low HP corner carver like a Miyata or BRZ.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:09 PM   #11
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
Hold up.
Oh no, hope you didn’t get into the marsh or the tree!

Basically what N. said above. I’m not a fan of Hills for 3 reasons:
- slow, short track, you don’t get out of 3rd gear
- curbing is not only unusable, but detrimental to stability
- bumpy surface

I think Grattan and Gingerman are way better.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:29 PM   #12
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Hit up Gingerman with CGI, supposed to be there today doing 7-20 minutes sessions but family has to come first. Welcome to the addiction. See you there.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote