Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-06-2021, 09:02 PM   #15
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
According to the article, GM expressly admitted to the 8Lxx having design defects that are capable of causing the complaints in the action, which is very significant.

From this point on it's a matter of warranty coverage interpretation, which a good class action lawyer should have a field day with. Unless the warranty specifically excludes design defects (the legality of which is already questionable), I'm sure there are a million precedents of implied design defect coverage.

Even looking at it from a common sense point of view, the first question the judge needs to ask when hearing this defense is "whose name is on the design documents, patents and trademarks?", "GM? well, then GM are the party responsible for the adequacy of said designs to their stated purpose".

The Takata airbag example is a good parallel, too, and there are many others, tires, fuel tanks etc.

BTW I'm not even part of this lawsuit, my A8 has been perfect (knocking on wood) and I'll let those with problems share in the payout, if any. One less mouth to feed from the "proceeds" if this ever goes anywhere
If it's anything like the Honda VCM class action lawsuit(which was also a design flaw), then they will probably reach a settlement and extend the warranty for those affected. Everything afterward probably depends on the individual dealer.

I know for the Honda VCM issues, some people were able to take advantage of the extended warranty as long as they can provide evidence of excessive oil consumption. This can be a challenge, however; sometimes you burn quite a bit, but not enough to meet their definition of excessive oil consumption. I can see the A8 issue going this way as well. There can be wiggle room for how much of the shuddering/jerking/whatever constitutes as excessive. Again, it will depend on your dealer, and you might have to fight the GM representatives over the phone.

Oh well, none of my business. M6 here so I don't have to worry about any of this.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:49 PM   #16
17Blk1LE

Drives: 2017 Black Camaro SS 1lE
That was point intended.
17Blk1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:32 AM   #17
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Blk1LE View Post
GM will fail again, because they are the most un customer friendly. And that's why dealerships will fill there customers with BS stories just because they know General Motors can care less about their customers. When they fail Cotton Head Joe will bail them out once again. Why do you think fossil Joe drives a Chevy?

But then everyone says the same about Ford too if you read the Mustang forums I see a lot more complaints than Chevy.

You might hate the shudder on the auto camaros BUT it's a hell of a lot better than dealing with a bad MT 82 manual on a Mustang. That thing is a huge POS. Especially a few years back. I mean so bad even after a few thousands miles and the car isn't even that drive able.

Why I went with the auto 2012 GT. Lots on the forum were trying to lemon their MT82 cars even after multiple transmission replacements.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:07 PM   #18
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
But then everyone says the same about Ford too if you read the Mustang forums I see a lot more complaints than Chevy.

You might hate the shudder on the auto camaros BUT it's a hell of a lot better than dealing with a bad MT 82 manual on a Mustang. That thing is a huge POS. Especially a few years back. I mean so bad even after a few thousands miles and the car isn't even that drive able.

Why I went with the auto 2012 GT. Lots on the forum were trying to lemon their MT82 cars even after multiple transmission replacements.
MT-82 is only found in Rustangs, which is a low-volume vehicle in the grand scheme of things. As long as Ford doesn't piss off their pickup truck and SUV owners, they are fine.

GM has done exactly that with the A8. It's not just in the Camaro, it's in the pickup trucks and Cadillacs as well. That's a much larger scale problem.

Past:
Old 01-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #19
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there many A8 owners on this forum who have zero issues with the A8 [other than the cold hard 1st to 2nd shift] and like the transmission? I dealt with the shudder issue. Several flushes then a TC swap out then the final new fluid flush fix...which, so far has solved the problem. I even discovered how to mitigate the hard cold shift by lighting up on the throttle right before second gear kicks in. Yes, the transmission is a bit rough and temperamental but at WOT this thing is an animal!
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #20
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchunsifu View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there many A8 owners on this forum who have zero issues with the A8 [other than the cold hard 1st to 2nd shift] and like the transmission? I dealt with the shudder issue. Several flushes then a TC swap out then the final new fluid flush fix...which, so far has solved the problem. I even discovered how to mitigate the hard cold shift by lighting up on the throttle right before second gear kicks in. Yes, the transmission is a bit rough and temperamental but at WOT this thing is an animal!
From what I've seen most of the members on this forum with the A8 do have issues eventually. I've discovered the same thing as you on that 1-2 cold shift, and it works every time. Just easing up on the throttle during the shift, and it can be avoided
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #21
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post

Meh, you owned an 2012 auto stang and you’re talking crap about the MT82? I’m not saying that it’s the best manual tranny going, but unreliable POS it is not. The MT82 had minor issues that turned into a negative media frenzy in 2011. The fluid was too viscous and lock tight wasn’t applied to the some of the internal fasteners (clutch assembly). Once those were resolved, in late 2011 to mid 2012, the tranny’s have been pretty much bullet proof. Of course, that excludes some of the recent years with aluminum forks. With an aftermarket shifter and clutch spring, my car shifts awesome. I’ve been beating on the MT82 for 26k miles, with no manufacturer required repairs. The car has had zero mechanical, finish or electrical problems. Unlike the 2016 camaro, which had numerous issues (including the A8). I actually dumped my car because of that and went A10. I believe Chevys liable for the A8 issues, to what $ or warrantee extent, I’m not sure. I will say that when the A8 was not shuddering, it was a pretty sweet, hard and quick shifting tranny.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 01-09-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #22
UnknownJinX

If the MT-82 issue is minor, I don't think it would have turned into a class action lawsuit, like this one. Enough people had problems with it to initiate the actions.

BTW even when it works, MT-82 isn't as good as TR-6060. It feels more like a family Sedan manual trans to me than a sports car manual trans. That's Getrash manual transmission for you, BMW also gets their manual trans from Getrag and I have heard the feel is similar.

Sent from toaster or something

Past:
Old 01-09-2021, 03:20 PM   #23
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
From what I've seen most of the members on this forum with the A8 do have issues eventually. I've discovered the same thing as you on that 1-2 cold shift, and it works every time. Just easing up on the throttle during the shift, and it can be avoided
But is it at all reasonable that you should have to feather the gas when driving an automatic?

Norm
Old 01-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #24
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
But is it at all reasonable that you should have to feather the gas when driving an automatic?

Norm
In my opinion absolutely not
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #25
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
If the MT-82 issue is minor, I don't think it would have turned into a class action lawsuit, like this one. Enough people had problems with it to initiate the actions.

BTW even when it works, MT-82 isn't as good as TR-6060. It feels more like a family Sedan manual trans to me than a sports car manual trans. That's Getrash manual transmission for you, BMW also gets their manual trans from Getrag and I have heard the feel is similar.

Sent from toaster or something
Agreed, the MT82 is not as good as the 6060. That’s not really up for debate.

The lawsuit for the MT82 is looking for $5 million. There were over 800,000 mustangs sold during the period they specify (I’m sure most were manuals). Do the #’s, not a big problem. Apparently, and as I stated earlier, the newer years had more defects. And what the car feels like to you, doesn’t matter to me. I’ve made a few upgrades that made a world of difference, the stock shifter was an embarrassment.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #26
tripowergto
WHEELIEFEST 22 ~ 8/14/21

Drives: 18 HW, 16 Vette, 09 G8 GT, 02 Formu
Hopefully they extend the warranty to 10 years, 120K on the 8spd. I'd accept that.

Mine wasn't that bad but I had the fluid flush done at 12k miles and it definitely helped the situation. I'm keeping my HW 2SS conv long term so the piece of mind of an extended warranty would be nice.
14 Crystal Red Volt (traded)
10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426 HP LS3 "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
09 Stryker Blue G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)

tripowergto is offline   Reply With Quote