Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Geico Mechanical Breakdown Coverage

Hey guys, I am in the process of buying a new 1SS 1LE, and that has got me reevaluating my auto insurance. I was checking into quotes from geico, and i noticed this interesting tidbit.

What is Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI)?

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance covers many mechanical repairs to your car, protecting you from expensive repair bills. This coverage is only available for vehicles with less than 15,000 miles that have been purchased within the last 15 months. A $250 deductible per claim applies. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is similar to a dealer's extended warranty protection. It's in excess of coverage provided by the manufacturer's warranty
Mechanical Breakdown covers repairs to the following systems:
Engine Steering Air Conditioning Transmission Cooling Brakes Drive Axle Suspension Electrical
EXCLUSIONS: Mechanical Breakdown coverage does not include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and lining, brake shoes and tires (includes tire wear and/or tire damage). Breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, rust and oxidation, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown coverage is in excess of coverage provided by the manufacture's warranty.

From doing some searching about this coverage on other forums (corvette, audi, etc.) it seems that Geico really doesnt care what performance mods you have done to your car, they just obviously will only actually replace parts that are factory. So its my understanding that if you supercharge your 1ss and blow your engine, they will replace the engine and all you pay is $250. The cost also doesn't seem prohibitive I have read reports of people paying $60-70 per year for this coverage.

Does anyone have any experience with this and running into problems (or not) do to aftermarket performance mods??
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
I have it on*all of my cars, cheaper then the extended.

What they get you with its 250 per issue.*So don't plan on going to the dealer, with a list of things that are out of warranty and expect to*be fixed for 250, Unless*you can prove that one of the issues caused the next
3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:16 AM   #3
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
I'm getting this as well.. 7 years/100k mile coverage for everything except tires, brakes and fluid. They will even cover your clutch as long as you didn't abused it.

In the event you have aftermarket parts and you know the dealer will give you shit, take it to a reputable shop you know and they will send an adjuster out to inspect. If the aftermarket parts didn't cause the failure, they will warranty it.

At least they give a fair assessment and evaluation unlike some GM reps voiding your warranty just because of an aftermarket part.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
steelheadrob
Tactical Garage

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Do you need to have Geico insurance to get this or can it be purchased separately?
steelheadrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadrob View Post
Do you need to have Geico insurance to get this or can it be purchased separately?
Gotta have Geico insurance, first owner, new car and has to be within 15 months or 15k miles to be eligible
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
SSinFL

Drives: 2016 SS/2SS Convertible A8 MRC NPP
"From doing some searching about this coverage on other forums (corvette, audi, etc.) it seems that Geico really doesnt care what performance mods you have done to your car, they just obviously will only actually replace parts that are factory. So its my understanding that if you supercharge your 1ss and blow your engine, they will replace the engine and all you pay is $250. The cost also doesn't seem prohibitive I have read reports of people paying $60-70 per year for this coverage.

Does anyone have any experience with this and running into problems (or not) do to aftermarket performance mods??"

I spoke with Geico a few weeks ago about covering my 16 SS and told them I was thinking about putting a supercharger on and would it be covered. The writer spoke with his manger who refused to speak with me. The end result was a letter from Geico to me stating that they would not insure my car or my wife's. I called them this morning and they are not interested in changing that decision if I where to keep my car stock.
SSinFL is offline   Reply With Quote