Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 01-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
Bwaahhh

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Baked on brake dust from Track - ARRGGHH!

Hey Camaro buddies - after 2 track days (one in the wet) with HAWK DTC pads...I have brake dust THAT WILL NOT COME OFF!!

Today I took all 4 wheels off..hit them with meguiars wheel cleaner and then IRONX. There are still these damn parts on the wheel that are driving me crazy. See pictures. If I use my nail...black gunk comes off.

What more abrasive pad can I use on the 1LE wheels? What more aggressive spray can I use that y'all have used? I WILL NEVER USE these pads in the rain again (or be lazy and not wash it off day after).
Bwaahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #2
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Try the iron-x paste. It’s designed for my stubborn deposits. Also clay worth a shot.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
this is what i use works great just dont wait too long after your track day

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...uRGu8dJ4hnciYG
Old 01-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
Bwaahhh

Ninetres - I have IronX Spray - i've let it sit...does nothing. Doubtful paste would help. I will try clay.

kropscamaro - sweet wheels man. Does this get the CAKED/BURNT on brake dust deposits?
Old 01-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Fairly normal. The hot bits off the pads and rotors bake themselves into the soft wheel finish.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaahhh View Post
Ninetres - I have IronX Spray - i've let it sit...does nothing. Doubtful paste would help. I will try clay.

kropscamaro - sweet wheels man. Does this get the CAKED/BURNT on brake dust deposits?
The entire reason the paste exists, is for instances when the much weaker spray does not remove stubborn imbedded particles. That’s literally why it exists. It’s not simply a solid form of the spray. Anywho, good luck.

I’d also recommend ceramic coating them for easier cleaning in the future. (If they aren’t already)
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Expensive but works on baked on brake dust.

https://www.amazon.com/McKees-37-Foa...24227757&psc=1
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #8
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
I’d also recommend ceramic coating them for easier cleaning in the future. (If they aren’t already)
This. Bit of work to take the wheels off, scrub them in & out, couple of wipe downs with isopropyl alcohol/distilled water mix, etc. But we’ll worth the effort IMO.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
Bwaahhh

KirkH, positive? I'll buy it...I just find most cleaners say it will eradicate brake dust but I am working with burnt/baked on brake dust from high temps/track pads. Have you used specificailly for same?

Planning on coating each wheel before next track session to avoid this.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:53 AM   #10
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
Sonax plus elbow grease works for me.
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:

thanks and yup mine are ceramic coated and i take the wheels off after every track event rinse em off spray this stuff on use a wash mitt and they are good as new
Old 01-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
KirkH, positive? I'll buy it...I just find most cleaners say it will eradicate brake dust but I am working with burnt/baked on brake dust from high temps/track pads. Have you used specificailly for same?

Planning on coating each wheel before next track session to avoid this.

I am a pro detailer and this is what I use for baked on. It's just really expensive or I would use it all the time. Ceramic coating will help.

Here's a thread about a wheels off detail and ceramic coating I did.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ighlight=wheel

Edited to add DIY wheel scuff repair

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ighlight=wheel
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #13
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Hey Camaro buddies - after 2 track days (one in the wet) with HAWK DTC pads...I have brake dust THAT WILL NOT COME OFF!!

Today I took all 4 wheels off..hit them with meguiars wheel cleaner and then IRONX. There are still these damn parts on the wheel that are driving me crazy. See pictures. If I use my nail...black gunk comes off.

What more abrasive pad can I use on the 1LE wheels? What more aggressive spray can I use that y'all have used? I WILL NEVER USE these pads in the rain again (or be lazy and not wash it off day after).
Hi I was just curious if you used any brushes etc etc with those products or not?
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #14
Bwaahhh

KirkH, McKees did not touch it. Got the wheel clean..but the parts with the burnt on brake dust - didn't make a dent. I let it dwell for several minutes and scrubbed the hell out of it. I need something more intense...any other ideas?

WhiteMale, yup, I have detailing brushes...used a toothbrush...and took a microfiber to it as well. Also took a plastic scraper. These wheel cleaners are NOT going to do the trick - I need something intense.