Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
Yessa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
I would've stayed stock with mine honestly. Next one I own is staying stock. Last one had was FBO and I kicked myself from the day I had it upgraded for not staying stock. The tires and stereo are essential upgrades though IMO.
I've decided to do the same and leave it stock. Headers are nice but the stock manifolds do the job just fine.
Yessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #16
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessa View Post
I've decided to do the same and leave it stock. Headers are nice but the stock manifolds do the job just fine.
Did you get another Z/28? Didn't you just sell yours this month?
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #17
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
Hmm interesting and would like to know why you wished you would have left it stock? I was thinking if I were to ever get one I would have probably done some bolt ons or eventually a heads cam package. It would have been the first car I would have start modding is it not worth doing so or is it because the Z is special how it is and best not to tinker with it?
Drove better/smoother (at least to me), didn't have to worry about which shop to take it to, and yea, keeping it virgin/original too. Next time around I will likely do the heads, but not ported, just the "fix". The upgrades I did pumped something like 120whp on, so power wise, that was good, but screwing with the tunes, having to take it to shops I normally wouldn't want to, potentially screwing with long term reliability/viability, etc...I would've rather stayed stock.
Although it was loud as fk with the kooks LTs lol.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #18
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Drove better/smoother (at least to me), didn't have to worry about which shop to take it to, and yea, keeping it virgin/original too. Next time around I will likely do the heads, but not ported, just the "fix". The upgrades I did pumped something like 120whp on, so power wise, that was good, but screwing with the tunes, having to take it to shops I normally wouldn't want to, potentially screwing with long term reliability/viability, etc...I would've rather stayed stock.

Agreed with everything you said
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #19
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
I’m liking what your saying about keeping it stock except the head fix. I took out and set aside the suede shift knob for a hard round old school one. I guess it was odd to shift with the feel of a fuzzy dice in my hand.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:52 PM   #20
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:

Ahh I see, thank you for your response brother!
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #21
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
100% in agreement with you... I've modded a lot of cars over the years and at the end of the day they all became PITA in one manner or another. I am leaving the Z/28 bone stock and if I feel I need more HP or a faster car -- I'll save my money and pony up for something that is as factory delivered. You add something somewhere and you take away something from somewhere else from a legal road going car. (reliability/driving manners/etc)
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #22
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
100% in agreement with you... I've modded a lot of cars over the years and at the end of the day they all became PITA in one manner or another. I am leaving the Z/28 bone stock and if I feel I need more HP or a faster car -- I'll save my money and pony up for something that is as factory delivered. You add something somewhere and you take away something from somewhere else from a legal road going car. (reliability/driving manners/etc)

Hmm maybe I should take some of your advice as well. I have never modded a car before so I have no experience with that although I would like to but not sure if it’s worth doing so. It seems like if you wanted a faster car from the factory then a 6th gen ZL1 might be the way to go instead of modding the Z28 to be faster?
Old 04-21-2020, 11:26 AM   #23
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
Hmm maybe I should take some of your advice as well. I have never modded a car before so I have no experience with that although I would like to but not sure if it’s worth doing so. It seems like if you wanted a faster car from the factory then a 6th gen ZL1 might be the way to go instead of modding the Z28 to be faster?
I can only speak from experience... but "most" of the issues with all my past cars (Corvettes & Porsche both air cooled and oil cooled) has been with tuning. I've had engines with issues and it always seems to lead back to the tuning. If I was Hendrick Motorsports and rebuilt engines after each event -- I wouldn't give a second thought to modifying.

I am with you -- if I want a faster car -- I'd buy the ZL1 1LE or C7 Z06.
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #24
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
I can only speak from experience... but "most" of the issues with all my past cars (Corvettes & Porsche both air cooled and oil cooled) has been with tuning. I've had engines with issues and it always seems to lead back to the tuning. If I was Hendrick Motorsports and rebuilt engines after each event -- I wouldn't give a second thought to modifying.

I am with you -- if I want a faster car -- I'd buy the ZL1 1LE or C7 Z06.
I hear ya can't go wrong with those two cars!
Old 04-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #25
VOIT

Drives: Z/28
I'd have to agree with most posting here, my Z's engine nor chassis is modified.
This is the 1st car I've had where I like mostly everything including the wheels.
I do get a wild hair up my ass about more HP but so far I've resisted.
The Z/28 is more capable than I am, the only mod I'm trying to continuously do is the driver mod. trying to get track time/experience is tough in the midwest, especially in current time.
VOIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #26
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
When I got mine I did the following within a few months:

1. Paint correction detail
2. Clear film - custom - front (splitter, bumper, hood, carbon intake, fenders), mirrors, behind front wheels to back wheels below the natural seam in the door and behind rear wheels to back bumper
3. ZL1 ad on rock guards - front
4. ZL1 tow hooks front and rear - front stays on - rear only comes out at track
5. GM Performance Spec Aignment (see attached track prep pdf)
6. Castoral SRF brake fluid
7. Krey Brause harness bar
8. Schroth 4 point DOT approved harness (drivers side) with quick release clips
9. Phastek Perf. skip shift eliminator link

10. Install OEM wickerbill
11. Install OEM "black" bowtie on rear
12. Install black Z/28 licence plate holder
13. Install LLoyd's Z/28 trunk mat
14. Valentine One Radar detector

Since then my only change was going from Pirelli Trofeo r's to Goodyear Supercar 3r's when P's were toast.

I am a stereo and a engine mod guy normally, but the Z has remained stock in both catagories - I rarely turn on the radio and the performance is great out of the box. Could be faster, but they struck a pretty awesome blend of power and handling.

My favorite feature on the car, besides the overall out of the box performance, is the brakes, they are simply phenomenal on track - no car this big and heavy should stop like the Z does, lap after lap!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Z28_TrackPREP_Final.pdf (134.6 KB, 25 views)
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #27
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Best thing? I think someone else on this thread already mentioned it ... paint correction and ceramic coating. I am still amazed on how awesome the car looks ... a must for anyone planning on keeping their car.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #28
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
Drove the car bone stock year and a half. Warranty run up Jan 2020, so was time to fix heads. Ended up doing fixed/ported Heads, cam, supporting mods and ARH short system with cats. 572/488 sae dynojet. Car is a diff animal now. The added power fits the chassis perfect imo. It’s significantly more fun to drive now. Almost no smell too!!
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote