Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
Service Departments, The Good and the (Ugly) Bad

A Tale of Two Service Departments

Returning home to Oxford, NC this morning, as I exited I-85 I got a warning display that the left rear tire was at 25 PSI. I pulled into the closest gas/convenience store and rolled up to the “put some quarters in and get some air” machine. It was one heck of a machine, in that it apparently took 12 pounds of air OUT of my tire. I think I should have charged them the quarters.

So now I have a warning that I have 13 PSI in the left rear tire. The dealership where I purchased my car is a few miles north, but the Oxford Chevrolet dealership is less than a half mile away, so I pull up to their service department. I tell the service writer I have the low tire pressure warning and need to get some air in that tire, and he responds that all of his technicians are at lunch and it will be 1PM before anyone can help me (it was around 12:20 at this point). I respond that I just want to shoot some air in the tire, if he will point me to the nearest air line, I can take care of that myself, then we can see if the tire is holding air or not.

No can do he says, all the air chucks are locked up in the tech’s toolboxes… and from the look I give him, he decides he will go check on that somewhat difficult-to-believe statement. So he goes through the service department door and is back out in a few seconds and says Yep, all the air chucks are locked up. I thank him for his time and indicate that being unable to provide AIR for a tire is not exactly a ringing endorsement for a dealer authorized service department and I roll north on I-85 with a mighty 13 pounds of air to Charles Boyd Chevrolet in Henderson. There are two service writers working and one comes out into the drive-thru bay to ask what is wrong (I bought the car there at the end of May 30, they recognized me, they recognized the car). I say “air” and am immediately asked “which tire” and before you can shake a stick they have an air hose into that tire…
And then the writer says “I can hear it hissing…” so there is a new shoe inbound, but the point of this short story is, if you need something complicated, such as AIR for a tire, do not go to the Chevrolet dealer in Oxford, as that is a total waste of your time.

Last edited by Blue_6.2; 08-02-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Some dealers won’t do crap if you didn’t buy the car from them , at least where I live anyway.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Where is the tire inflator that comes with the car? It isn't the best but it works well in a pinch.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
sadly not surprising, though to their credit, it may have been true about the air chucks. I bet if you showed up when a tech was there with his tools unlocked, it probably wouldn't have been an issue.

I think the real issue here is that you shouldn't have to go to a dealer to get air, every gas station should have it, but those machines are pieces of junk and never work, but they always accept quarters. I'd be more pissed at the gas station than the dealer.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
Where is the tire inflator that comes with the car? It isn't the best but it works well in a pinch.
cars with run flats got no airflationary devices.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
SSJ455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_6.2 View Post
cars with run flats got no airflationary devices.
I have to check my trunk because I think I have one. But since I have never had use for it I can't remember for sure.
Dangerzoooooone.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
I have to check my trunk because I think I have one. But since I have never had use for it I can't remember for sure.
The other poster is correct, run flat cars get nothing. The cars with the 1LE packages and the ZL1 cars get the inflator with the slime.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
SSJ455

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The other poster is correct, run flat cars get nothing. The cars with the 1LE packages and the ZL1 cars get the inflator with the slime.
Got it!
Dangerzoooooone.

Tags
air, imbeciles, service department