Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Fob Programming

Hey y'all,

I did a search but couldn't really find anything definitive on this for post key recall, and the owner's manual says take it to a dealer. I could only seem to find threads dealing with a new key, but not the fob.

I just bought a new fob as the old ones were falling apart. Is there a DIY procedure to program it to my 2011 SS, or is this a dealer only procedure?

Thanks for your help.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Since you have the originals, can you just remove the internals from the old and put it in the new one?
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Since you have the originals, can you just remove the internals from the old and put it in the new one?
Ha, I just thought about that as I was writing the post. Thing is, I'd hate to get it all apart and not be able to get it back together for one reason or another.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
is it the old fob and key together? if it is then just find the relearn procedure on here, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93145

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
is it the old fob and key together? if it is then just find the relearn procedure on here, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93145
Yeah, I found that thread in my search. However, it was posted in 2010, long before the recall. My keys have had the recall done. So it's not a new key, just a new fob. I also read in my search that programming the fob needs a tech II, so, I guess it's off to the dealer.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:27 AM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Yeah, I found that thread in my search. However, it was posted in 2010, long before the recall. My keys have had the recall done. So it's not a new key, just a new fob. I also read in my search that programming the fob needs a tech II, so, I guess it's off to the dealer.
whether the key is attached to the fob is irrelevant, they are the same. Programming should be identical. The procedure has been posted on here a few times in the DIY thread, but I would be happy to add it again. Takes about 20-30 seconds from start to finish.

Or take it to the dealer and they charge a flat 1 hr fee and keep you car most of the day.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
whether the key is attached to the fob is irrelevant, they are the same. Programming should be identical. The procedure has been posted on here a few times in the DIY thread, but I would be happy to add it again. Takes about 20-30 seconds from start to finish.

Or take it to the dealer and they charge a flat 1 hr fee and keep you car most of the day.
And you insert the remote without a key into the ignition and turn to On, how?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Hey y'all,

I did a search but couldn't really find anything definitive on this for post key recall, and the owner's manual says take it to a dealer. I could only seem to find threads dealing with a new key, but not the fob.

I just bought a new fob as the old ones were falling apart. Is there a DIY procedure to program it to my 2011 SS, or is this a dealer only procedure?

Thanks for your help.
Does the new fob have a key in it ( ie. is it a switchblade fob) ?
If so then have the key cut and perform the relearn procedure on the new fob & key.

If not then try this. Take your recall key off your fob and leave the fob in the house. Start your car with just the key to test that the car will start .... it should. Then do the relearn procedure using your recall key ... put it in the ignition turn to ON (but don't start) until the security icon disappears. Then take it out and attach the key to your new fob. Put the key in the ignition and turn to ON (but don't start) until the security icon disappears. You should see a DIC msg saying something like Key Added. Then start your car and test all the fob buttons.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
And you insert the remote without a key into the ignition and turn to On, how?
sorry, my 'assumption' was you had the key with fob purchase. Not Just the fob. Even "post-recall" you can buy switchblade keys for the Camaro and program them. My bad. you could of gone that way also and just take the fob apart from the key and put it on your old key, and have a spare key without a fob.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
The key comes off... its just a key and a remote stuck together.
Put the old key in the car and program the new remote.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
atrosario

Drives: 2018 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
If so then have the key cut and perform the relearn procedure on the new fob & key.

If not then try this. Take your recall key off your fob and leave the fob in the house. Start your car with just the key to test that the car will start .... it should. Then do the relearn procedure using your recall key ... put it in the ignition turn to ON (but don't start) until the security icon disappears. Then take it out and attach the key to your new fob. Put the key in the ignition and turn to ON (but don't start) until the security icon disappears. You should see a DIC msg saying something like Key Added. Then start your car and test all the fob buttons.
I bought a new fob with a blank switchblade key off of Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...640&rmvSB=true
for my son's 2015 Camaro. Drove to the locksmith who laser cut the key and reminded me not to use the switchblade key because in case of an accident, my insurance company will not cover me if they find out the switchblade key was used to drive the car (Key Fob Recall). Anyhow, I followed the Key Fob "relearn" procedure (above) and 10 seconds later it was working and I started the car in the locksmith's parking lot.
atrosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:05 AM   #12
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
The key comes off... its just a key and a remote stuck together.
Put the old key in the car and program the new remote.
That's what I was thinking, however, programming the fob is the issue. The manual basically says take it to the dealer. I don't know if something changed between 2010 and 2011. I know the manual to my old '96 Vette had clear instructions on how to program a new remote.

I tried the quick method that camguynj posted with no result. I'm a little nervous about the more detailed method mentioned from the other thread. I'd hate to trip a security function and brick the BCM.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:21 AM   #13
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
That's what I was thinking, however, programming the fob is the issue. The manual basically says take it to the dealer. I don't know if something changed between 2010 and 2011. I know the manual to my old '96 Vette had clear instructions on how to program a new remote.

I tried the quick method that camguynj posted with no result. I'm a little nervous about the more detailed method mentioned from the other thread. I'd hate to trip a security function and brick the BCM.
Which of the 2 methods method did you try (1 or 2)?
If 2, did the key start the car but didn't program the new fob?

1) If so then have the key cut and perform the relearn procedure on the new fob & key.

2) If not then try this. Take your recall key off your fob and leave the fob in the house. Start your car with just the key to test that the car will start .... it should. Then do the relearn procedure using your recall key ... put it in the ignition turn to ON (but don't start) until the security icon disappears. Then take it out and attach the key to your new fob. Put the key in the ignition and turn to ON (but don't start) until the security icon disappears. You should see a DIC msg saying something like Key Added. Then start your car and test all the fob buttons.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
MrChrisLS3

Update

Well, after all the attempts failed to get that FOB to program. I tried to DIY it and swap the faceplates. Don't try this, the glue is stronger than the plastic.

So today, I took the car in because I had a screw in the tire. While I was there I talked to the parts dept about the key. Turns out that part of the purchase is to cut the new key. Wasn't told anything about that when I bought the first, probably why it wouldn't program. So I bought another, $59, and they cut it for me. So I am now the proud owner of a brand new working switch blade key from the dealership. So much for the recall key.