Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Oh, one more thing...

email to socialmedia@gm.com with the VIN and ask for the "build sheet". Within a day they will send you the factory build sheet which will tell you the car's production date, and every RPO code (the DNA...everything it was built with). I got more than a few build sheets from them when I was looking at cars.

I noticed their description mentioned "white pearl center stripe", which is not on that car. So either someone removed it or they have the wrong info, which could mean it's not really a 2LT. Doubtful, but when I see a description that doesn't match what I see it sends up a red flag!
Are they limiting the 'look back' for this to two years? I got the sheet for mine really quickly, but it was only months old when I sent the email. I thought I had read a number of posts saying that they only provided this for two years or for the most recent two model years maybe?

It's worth a try no matter...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #30
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Are they limiting the 'look back' for this to two years? I got the sheet for mine really quickly, but it was only months old when I sent the email. I thought I had read a number of posts saying that they only provided this for two years or for the most recent two model years maybe?

It's worth a try no matter...
I haven't seen that. I know I got mine when the car was more than 2 years old, but that was awhile ago, either late 2019 or early 2020.

Given the "vehicle info" on the ad, they must have had access to something like a build sheet. No non-GM dealer is going to have technically descriptive terms like
"RS PACKAGE: includes (RQ9) 20" 5-split spoke premium Gray-painted; machined-face aluminum wheels; (T4F) high intensity discharge headlamps; LED taillamps; RS-specific grilles and (D80) decklid-mounted lip spoiler" with RPOs etc.

The "white pearl center stripe" is clearly something a buildsheet would have, because the car doesn't have it yet the dealer put that in the ad. You'd think they'd proof their own ad and someone would say "hey, that car doesn't have a stripe, boss. What should I do?" LOL
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #31
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I would call the dealer and ask them to point out any issues, however small they may be. Scratches, wheel curb rash, interior, etc. Let them know you are coming a long way.

One main concern I would have is rusted undercarriage, the car being in Michigan. They have super cold winters and a lot of precipitation and a lot of road salt. Perhaps it was not driven in the winter and may be fine. Ask for photos of the undercarriage. If it all looks good, give them a deposit to hold it and fly up there. If it is what you really want in the right color and all of the options, go for it.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #32
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm also from ATX metro

Here is one for $24.8k -- https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Anyhow I'm kind of shocked myself. I had my fully optioned out 2SS appraised at a Chevy dealership not long ago and they only wanted to give me $25k for it.

Anyway I typically try not to make these sort of things work. It sounds like you will need to be prepared to pay more for the vehicle. I would just get to a point where you are capable of paying more than $25k then purchase instead of jumping through hoops.
I think 25k is great, my SS was appraised at 24k through CarMax. I was just there over the weekend and someone had a zl1 conv appraised at 24k.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #33
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by partylyk1999 View Post

And also I love how everyone's like "dude it's a 4 cylinder, that's a dealbreaker!" It's my very first "sports" car (and will be the very 2nd car I've ever owned), so I figured I'd go with something more fun. I just love Camaros for there aesthetics/style and need a daily driver that's just zippy enough for me. The i4 turbo was tons of fun to drive!!

Yeah bro don't pay any mind to those people. I came from a 184hp FWD mid sized sedan. My V6 Camaro is a ****ing rocket in comparison. It is a GREAT budget sports/performance car, especially if you want RWD. You'll love it for that. It's still faster than the vast majority of cars on the road.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #34
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
Agree. 4 cylinder. OP, car is 10 minutes from my house if you want some eyes on it...but 4 cylinder is probably a deal breaker.
Quote:
If you can do that/send me videos and I end up pulling the trigger - I will fly to Chicago, get the car, and personally greet you so I can give you some Texan BBQ and goodies. DM'ing you!

I would like to check the car out for you, but I'm much further than Lebowski and would not be able to get to the car until Friday or Saturday.

Maybe we all can figure this out via 3-way PM.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #35
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
I was passing by the dealer earlier this am before they opened and took a quick peek. It had some snow and sleet from yesterday which didn’t make for ideal viewing conditions.

Panel gaps all look normal and paint looks to be original on complete car as best I could tell.

All 4 rims look good and not seeing any curb damage.

Tires are near new Michelins with deep tread depth. The fronts have slight cupping on the outer edges which is normal from turns but indicate a need for rotation to the rears.

The car appears to not have been detailed from the online engine bay pics and how moisture sits on the paint without beading.

Tinted windows and doors locked so couldn’t check out inside but online pics show clean.

The bad-door dink on drivers side rear quarter. Drivers door edge needs minor paint touch up. The biggest issue is the passenger side rear quarter has a large dent. No paint damage so if PDR can be performed, it could clean up nicely. If still interested perhaps they can repair and send you pictures. See pics, probably need someone to correct rotation. I recommend a warranty. Not connected to dealer or in the car business. Good luck.
Attached Images

Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #36
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
I haven't seen that. I know I got mine when the car was more than 2 years old, but that was awhile ago, either late 2019 or early 2020.

Given the "vehicle info" on the ad, they must have had access to something like a build sheet. No non-GM dealer is going to have technically descriptive terms like
"RS PACKAGE: includes (RQ9) 20" 5-split spoke premium Gray-painted; machined-face aluminum wheels; (T4F) high intensity discharge headlamps; LED taillamps; RS-specific grilles and (D80) decklid-mounted lip spoiler" with RPOs etc.

The "white pearl center stripe" is clearly something a buildsheet would have, because the car doesn't have it yet the dealer put that in the ad. You'd think they'd proof their own ad and someone would say "hey, that car doesn't have a stripe, boss. What should I do?" LOL
Actually, I don't think they would. Dealers, especially when selling off-brand vehicles, use generic listing info and haven't got a CLUE what the car does and doesn't have. All they are interested in doing is getting you on the lot.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #37
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Yeah bro don't pay any mind to those people. I came from a 184hp FWD mid sized sedan. My V6 Camaro is a ****ing rocket in comparison. It is a GREAT budget sports/performance car, especially if you want RWD. You'll love it for that. It's still faster than the vast majority of cars on the road.
My other car is an 1.6 Miata, which is slow. I've mostly been driving that recently as I'm trying to sort it out to get prepped for track days. Now, every time I drive the Camaro, I'm reminded that it's really a pretty quick car. There isn't a situation in normal driving that I've ever thought it needed more power.

I personally think that anyone who says the non-v8 Camaros and Mustangs are slow, is either being a dick on purpose or is incredibly out of touch. For under $30k new, I struggle to find a better performance option.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:24 PM   #38
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I personally think that anyone who says the non-v8 Camaros and Mustangs are slow, is either being a dick on purpose or is incredibly out of touch. For under $30k new, I struggle to find a better performance option.
Totally. While I never drove the turbo model, I did test drive a V6 and found it to be fun.

The 4 cylinder models do have a definite weight and balance advantage.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:28 PM   #39
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
I was passing by the dealer earlier this am before they opened and took a quick peek. It had some snow and sleet from yesterday which didn’t make for ideal viewing conditions.

Panel gaps all look normal and paint looks to be original on complete car as best I could tell.

Tires are near new Michelins with deep tread depth. The fronts have slight cupping on the outer edges which is normal from turns but indicate a need for rotation to the rears.

The car appears to not have been detailed from the online engine bay pics and how moisture sits on the paint without beading.

Tinted windows and doors locked so couldn’t check out inside but online pics show clean.

The bad-door dink on drivers side rear quarter. Drivers door edge needs minor paint touch up. The biggest issue is the passenger side rear quarter has a large dent. No paint damage so if PDR can be performed, it could clean up nicely. If still interested perhaps they can repair and send you pictures. See pics, probably need someone to correct rotation. I recommend a warranty. Not connected to dealer or in the car business. Good luck.
KUDOs to Realist & Big Lebowski!!! This type of support and camaraderie is what Camaro6 is all about!

@partyllyk1999...agree with others the T4 is a great car no matter how old you are and how many cars you've owned. Love my Camaro, mine is a daily driver, and I'm old enough to qualify for an AARP card
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #40
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
My other car is an 1.6 Miata, which is slow. I've mostly been driving that recently as I'm trying to sort it out to get prepped for track days. Now, every time I drive the Camaro, I'm reminded that it's really a pretty quick car. There isn't a situation in normal driving that I've ever thought it needed more power.

It’s all relative, my good Watson.

As far as “need” goes, well...
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #41
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
If you can do that/send me videos and I end up pulling the trigger - I will fly to Chicago, get the car, and personally greet you so I can give you some Texan BBQ and goodies. DM'ing you!

And also I love how everyone's like "dude it's a 4 cylinder, that's a dealbreaker!" It's my very first "sports" car (and will be the very 2nd car I've ever owned), so I figured I'd go with something more fun. I just love Camaros for there aesthetics/style and need a daily driver that's just zippy enough for me. The i4 turbo was tons of fun to drive!!
Just saw this, but no PM received. If you’re interested let us know. I could get over there on Friday but looks like “Realist” beat me to it. Good man! We just got a rolling slushy snow storm but snow should be gone by the weekend.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #42
partylyk1999

Drives: 2012 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post

Realist, thank you so much for the photos!! That dent doesn't look too bad, I think a PDR can straighten that out. I really appreciate all that insight, this is incredibly helpful. all in all, it sounds like the car is in good shape. Did you notice any other scratches otherwise?

Big Lebowski, if you're able (or have time), and again no pressure at all, if you're able to get video and maybe a test drive if they let you? I don't know much about snow as a Texan, so only do it if it's safe. I'll DM you now to get a line of communication going!

Next step - I'm going to call them tomorrow to get a PPI arranged.
partylyk1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2lt rs, advice or opinions, buying, used car