Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #85
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAI80 View Post
Guys:

It pains me to post this. I really didn’t want to but hopefully it raises awareness for those that read it: I totaled my car a month ago switching parking spots. I kid you not. It was dark, windy and raining pretty hard at the time. I pulled into a parking spot, put it in park and was about to shut the engine down. I looked to my right and noticed the full size truck next to me looked really close. I looked to my left and saw there appeared to be more open spots over that way. Better to walk a bit further in the rain than have a full sized door blow when opened into the side of my car I figured. So I put it back in drive and went straight ahead out of the spot and began a tight left 180 degree turn toward the other spots. As I came around the turn, a late model BMW came into my field of view and I thought I’d park near it. Right then I heard a scraping noise. My instant thought as I got on the brakes was that I had run over a chunk of debris laying on the ground that was dragging under the front end. If only that had been the case.

It was then that I saw the hood buckled and realized I’d run into a light pole. The parking lot has low intensity lights staggered throughout the middle section. What I couldn’t see was the much more obvious and larger diameter concrete base of the pole. It was below the front end “waterline” of my field of vision so to speak. I didn’t feel a jolt of any kind or strain in my wrists from the impact and there was no air bag deployment. I couldn’t have been going over 10mph I would guess. The amount of damage though was pretty astonishing. The only relief I felt was the car drove perfectly fine down the interstate to a body shop 20 minutes away. All systems normal except for the mangled front end and hood.

The body shop estimate floored me a couple days later: $10,600. The insurance company estimator came in and declared it a total loss. The car is now sitting in a salvage yard as we speak with 35,000 miles on it.

I recreated the event in another vehicle at night and was able to see the concrete base of the pole easily throughout the turn and even when right up against it. I believe the event wouldn’t have happened in that vehicle. Nevertheless, I screwed up big time and accept full responsibility for it. In 30 plus years of driving, I’ve never done any damage to a car remotely close to this. I’m pretty horrified and embarrassed to say the least.

Moral of the story: Yes the visibility is manageable in these cars. However, a momentary loss of situational awareness coupled with the restricted visibility can really bite hard, even at low speed. I could never recommend one now without the front end collision sensors. If mine had had them, it would still be sitting in the garage right now. Good luck and be careful out there.
Arggg. So sorry. Yep, those GD concrete bases!!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #86
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Guys:

It pains me to post this. I really didn’t want to but hopefully it raises awareness for those that read it: I totaled my car a month ago switching parking spots. I kid you not. It was dark, windy and raining pretty hard at the time. I pulled into a parking spot, put it in park and was about to shut the engine down. I looked to my right and noticed the full size truck next to me looked really close. I looked to my left and saw there appeared to be more open spots over that way. Better to walk a bit further in the rain than have a full sized door blow when opened into the side of my car I figured. So I put it back in drive and went straight ahead out of the spot and began a tight left 180 degree turn toward the other spots. As I came around the turn, a late model BMW came into my field of view and I thought I’d park near it. Right then I heard a scraping noise. My instant thought as I got on the brakes was that I had run over a chunk of debris laying on the ground that was dragging under the front end. If only that had been the case.

It was then that I saw the hood buckled and realized I’d run into a light pole. The parking lot has low intensity lights staggered throughout the middle section. What I couldn’t see was the much more obvious and larger diameter concrete base of the pole. It was below the front end “waterline” of my field of vision so to speak. I didn’t feel a jolt of any kind or strain in my wrists from the impact and there was no air bag deployment. I couldn’t have been going over 10mph I would guess. The amount of damage though was pretty astonishing. The only relief I felt was the car drove perfectly fine down the interstate to a body shop 20 minutes away. All systems normal except for the mangled front end and hood.

The body shop estimate floored me a couple days later: $10,600. The insurance company estimator came in and declared it a total loss. The car is now sitting in a salvage yard as we speak with 35,000 miles on it.

I recreated the event in another vehicle at night and was able to see the concrete base of the pole easily throughout the turn and even when right up against it. I believe the event wouldn’t have happened in that vehicle. Nevertheless, I screwed up big time and accept full responsibility for it. In 30 plus years of driving, I’ve never done any damage to a car remotely close to this. I’m pretty horrified and embarrassed to say the least.

Moral of the story: Yes the visibility is manageable in these cars. However, a momentary loss of situational awareness coupled with the restricted visibility can really bite hard, even at low speed. I could never recommend one now without the front end collision sensors. If mine had had them, it would still be sitting in the garage right now. Good luck and be careful out there.

Ok that made me cringe a bit! Sorry that happened, but at least no injuries!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #87
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Man, this is painful even to read, I know how it feels. Indeed the car sits low and has a high beltline, no question about having to be more attentive.

Out of curiosity, just to confirm my understanding of what you wrote, did this happen in a sharp left turn around ths pole whose concrete base was much wider, and you were too close to see it?

(Btw my wife totaled her previous SUV almost the exact same way, except in broad daylight. I doubt that was due to visibility or lack thereof, but we all make mistakes, nobody's exempt. I think we are fortunate more often than not.)
Thanks for the kind responses guys, because I sure do feel like a complete idiot over this. I pulled into that original spot and just didn’t like how close I was to the truck on my right. I looked to my left and there was another car a couple of spots over. A couple spots over from that car was where the pole was. Since I wasn’t parked nose to nose with anyone I drove straight ahead out of that spot and started a tight left 180. That took me around the car originally on my left toward the more open area (or so I thought). I was still in the turn when I saw the BMW that I was going to park near. I never noticed the skinny pole going up (wipers going in the rain and dark). The much wider and light colored concrete base, I believe, stayed just below my field of vision because of my close proximity to it. I just turned right into the damn thing. There is a slight downgrade I noticed in the area where I was turning around. So it’s possible the front of the car was pointing up slightly as I turned back towards the pole. That could have been an additional factor. The main factor of course was me. Well aware that you have to be more careful with this car, I let it slip at just the wrong time.

Last edited by IAI80; 01-13-2021 at 03:08 PM.
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:51 AM   #88
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Thanks for the kind responses guys, because I sure do feel like a complete idiot over this. I pulled into that original spot and just didn’t like how close I was to the truck on my right. I looked to my left and there was another car a couple of spots over. A couple spots over from that car was where the pole was. Since I wasn’t parked nose to nose with anyone I drove straight ahead out of that spot and started a tight left 180. That took me around the car originally on my left toward the more open area (or so I thought). I was still in the turn when I saw the BMW that I was going to park near. I never noticed the skinny pole going up (wipers going in the rain and dark). The much wider and light colored concrete base, I believe, stayed just below my field of vision because of my close proximity to it. I just turned right into the damn thing. There is a slight downgrade I noticed in the area where I was turning around. So it’s possible the front of the car was pointing up slightly as I turned back towards the pole. That could have been an additional factor. The main factor of course was me. Well aware that you have to be more careful with this car, I let it slip at just the wrong time.

At first I'm shocked they totaled it, but then I noticed you have the v6 model. I mean, if it was a 2ss I doubt they'd total it for $10,000 as that's well under 50 percent of the fair market value of the car versus paying 35k out. But honestly it probably is better they totaled it out. If the damage was bad I wouldn't want the diminished value hit on that car when it comes to trading it in or any other future steering problems, etc down the line.

A few months back I saw a 2ss, granted GM certified. I noticed the price was pretty darn good, but then saw the carfax and it had 3 owners, 4 accidents, and one of them said moderate damage and airbags deployed. Um, I'll pass even being certified.

Also, hitting a concrete poll that's solid does a heck of a lot more damage than hitting another car due to it being solid and not forgiving.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #89
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
At first I'm shocked they totaled it, but then I noticed you have the v6 model. I mean, if it was a 2ss I doubt they'd total it for $10,000 as that's well under 50 percent of the fair market value of the car versus paying 35k out. But honestly it probably is better they totaled it out. If the damage was bad I wouldn't want the diminished value hit on that car when it comes to trading it in or any other future steering problems, etc down the line.

A few months back I saw a 2ss, granted GM certified. I noticed the price was pretty darn good, but then saw the carfax and it had 3 owners, 4 accidents, and one of them said moderate damage and airbags deployed. Um, I'll pass even being certified.

Also, hitting a concrete poll that's solid does a heck of a lot more damage than hitting another car due to it being solid and not forgiving.
……..

Last edited by IAI80; 04-10-2023 at 08:13 AM.
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:04 PM   #90
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Definitely the case. Despite the low speed, the lack of give from a concrete base along with the delicate front end of these cars was the path to significant damage. It’s just hard to swallow when the impact felt so mild (I mean come on, I could have at least tapped my forehead just a little??) and the car drove perfectly to a body shop 15 miles away doing 70mph down the interstate. The internal problems were things like the radiator and A/C lines. They were not breached but there was bending and compression damage. So they had to be replaced. On top of that, the estimator told me the parts needed were just plain expensive and the labor was significant. Who knows if it will be parted out or not. I’m pretty certain though if the damage was fixed, the car would be absolutely fine.

That's one thing I hate about modern cars is that there is no chrome bumpers and such like the 1960s and 70s muscle cars. I love how my 2012 Mustang GT was built like a tank. I get rear ended at a stop light by a 90 yr old last year. Dude hit the gas instead of break with his fat foot He hit me pretty good, my knee banged the dash pretty good too and I was expecting a good bit of damage to my rear end but just the plastic trim on the bumper was damaged and the bumper had some of his plastic from the grill embedded. Still, it was about 1,000 in damage his insurance covered because they had to replace the back bumper. I wish the car was totaled because it was paid off and I would have got a lot more than I did trading it in last fall.

Now the new Mustangs are lower to the ground and more fragile. That same rear end collision would do a lot more damage on the new Mustang.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:54 AM   #91
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
That's one thing I hate about modern cars is that there is no chrome bumpers and such like the 1960s and 70s muscle cars. I love how my 2012 Mustang GT was built like a tank. I get rear ended at a stop light by a 90 yr old last year. Dude hit the gas instead of break with his fat foot He hit me pretty good, my knee banged the dash pretty good too and I was expecting a good bit of damage to my rear end but just the plastic trim on the bumper was damaged and the bumper had some of his plastic from the grill embedded. Still, it was about 1,000 in damage his insurance covered because they had to replace the back bumper. I wish the car was totaled because it was paid off and I would have got a lot more than I did trading it in last fall.

Now the new Mustangs are lower to the ground and more fragile. That same rear end collision would do a lot more damage on the new Mustang.
A lot of this is due to advanced technology. They're not trying to make the cars "cheaper", they're making them safer. Crumple zones are designed to take the brunt of the energy during a collision. This means more damage to the car but less damage to those inside. But, yes, part of me agrees that things were made better in the past.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:08 AM   #92
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
The don't make them like they used to...

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #93
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post

And that's a good thing!!!! Great vid!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #94
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
I still find it laughable how people always grasp at thinking things were always better in the past.

Cars are more reliable and safer than they have have been. The structural design, materials and analysis/testing is far superior.

Cars don't rust out like they used to. Materials/coatings have come quite a ways in the past few decades. You basically don't have to worry about getting at least 10 years out of any vehicle, even driven in the worst corrosive conditions.

People hold onto their cars longer than ever. A big reason is because they continue to drive well, be reliable and maintenance costs are not driving them to new vehicles.

You basically have to do nothing but routine maintenance on most cars up through 100,000 miles. Tires, fluid, brakes...

Of course you have some design failures and exceptions, but this has occurred all through history.

As far as visibility, I have zero issue in the Camaro. Never once have I thought to myself "I can't see!" or had additional difficulty in making various turns or knowing what was in my blind spots and such. I wouldn't change anything about the belt line or anything else that makes this car real special to me. Love it as is.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #95
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post

Damn, I wasn't alive back then. But, car accidents in the 60s seemed like a death sentence.

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #96

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
Damn, I wasn't alive back then. But, car accidents in the 60s seemed like a death sentence.
I was alive back then...lol...In fact we had 1959 Biscayne at one time as the family car...No seat belts, no padded dash, of course no air-bags,etc...

Red Asphalt, among others, was mandatory viewing for driver's ed.

Detroit iron was the safety feature of the day. Repairable steel panels, and junk-yards aplenty for parts...

Cars are definitely much safer and reliable today....but not the drivers.

No cell phones or rolling offices to distract the driver. Practicing courtesy and patience while driving was common then, unlike today.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #97
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
I dont think the visibility in these cars is that bad either, at 5’9 I really dont have any issues and i sit with the seat on the floor. I love the look of the high window belt lines and the space ship looking windshield, i would rather have the look than better visibility. Only thing is a few more times than normal with this car you’d go to change lanes and see someone at the last second, but once you adjust your mirrors its not an issue.

I just wish Chevrolet would advertise this car more and a selling point of the upper trims is if the visibility is an issue the blind spot monitoring and rear camera mirror address that
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #98
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I first started driving with a Dodge van, with no side windows, and used stick-on fish-eye mirrors on on both sides. I have installed these mirrors on every vehicle since then, including my Camaro. They help quite a bit for right-side blind spot visibility.

Regardless, I won't complain about visibility on this car anyway.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote